Next-gen iPhone rumored to sport dual-lenses, DSLR quality in 'biggest camera jump ever'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    dunks wrote: »

He's in the new Super Smash Bros!

Everywhere I Go I'm reminded of this bad ass game!! Coming Nov. 21st. I can't handle the hype!!

• Reply 42 of 74
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If i could put up a picture of bender from futurama i would, lol. I don't know how to do that yet.

Here you go.

Friendly tip: one of your quotes is cut off—

"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX

just what?
  • Reply 43 of 74
    sflocal wrote: »

People saying that phone cameras will rival full-frame SLR photos is just smoking too much ganja.  

Hmmm, sounds like history repeats itself... I think it was VP of DEC computers (now defunct) that said "I can't see any reason for a personal computer in the home." And it was Bill Gates who said "I can't see any reason why anyone would need more than 640K of RAM."
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Perhaps by the time the next iPhone is announced, the iPhone 6 might actually be available in stores.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

John Gruber needs to quit taking so many drugs. Using a stereo camera system based on tiny CMOS sensors and only using the best results from each then calling it DSLR quality is uneducated, uninformed, and just plain crazy. Add to this the extremely small size of the camera lens and the combination doesn't come close to a DSLR. 

you didn't listen to the podcast. he and moltz expressed the same thoughts regarding physics. he was only relaying the rumor he heard.

• Reply 46 of 74
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For its iPhone 6 and 6 Plus follow-up

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Boo Yaa. The rumors start.

Almost exactly two months. Strange it took so long.

• Reply 47 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If i could put up a picture of bender from futurama i would, lol. I don't know how to do that yet.

A few robots have dual camera systems:

It allows the same depth perception that people have. Cameras almost always have a single lens but they don't mimic how people see things. This move could in fact take photography beyond DSLR for the simple reason that they can create a 3D scene. Because of the price of lenses and sensors on standard cameras, it's less feasible there on a wide scale. If you could then take that data and reproduce it in 3D, it would look much more tangible than a standard flat photograph. This might be the route Samsung wants to go down with their VR glasses.

It can be recreated without glasses though. Perhaps a retina display can manage it somehow by using alternating lines to appeal to each eye.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As an added bonus, the system provides spatial data for 3D imagery due to its lens offset.

The lenses would have to be spaced further away than that to create a suitable 3D image plus, if 1 camera is macro and the other is telephoto, one will be out of focus so they couldn't both be used at at the same time.

• Reply 49 of 74
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

The lenses would have to be spaced further away than that to create a suitable 3D image...

Why? Insects seem to manage.

• Reply 50 of 74
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Marvin wrote: »
    A few robots have dual camera systems:

It allows the same depth perception that people have. Cameras almost always have a single lens but they don't mimic how people see things. This move could in fact take photography beyond DSLR for the simple reason that they can create a 3D scene. Because of the price of lenses and sensors on standard cameras, it's less feasible there on a wide scale. If you could then take that data and reproduce it in 3D, it would look much more tangible than a standard flat photograph. This might be the route Samsung wants to go down with their VR glasses.

It can be recreated without glasses though. Perhaps a retina display can manage it somehow by using alternating lines to appeal to each eye.

It's a good point that 2-lens and two-sensor 3-D is more possible with phone-sized components. Even GoPros are too large for medium-distance 3-D, and the dual camera kits often mount one camera upside down to bring the lenses closer together. Distance to the subject determines the distance you want between the lenses. An adjustable interaxial is the reason many 3-D rigs using two cameras are preferred for pro work.

Finally, synthesized 3-D is not generally as good as that shot with two sensors. "Natural" is better once again.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The only thing that would've made me purchace a new iPhone this year would be a dramatically new camera. No camera, no sale, so I'll stick with my 5 one more year. This sounds promising.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

just what?

Slow down on the pints. You and I went through this already. ;)
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

Hmmm, sounds like history repeats itself... I think it was VP of DEC computers (now defunct) that said "I can't see any reason for a personal computer in the home." And it was Bill Gates who said "I can't see any reason why anyone would need more than 640K of RAM."

I can imagine this clearly. DSLR technology is clearly at a dead end. All of the improvements that befall sensors will NOT be made to DSLR (or ILC). Lets be real, large sensors will improve as well. I full expect phone cameras to match say my Canon 6D, but by that time ill have a 6D mark III or something along those lines.

• Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

just what?

Just...nothing. The word just is not just used as an adverb. I feel that the #6 definition is justly accurate. ;)

JUST (adjective)

guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness:

We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.

done or made according to principle; equitable; proper:

a just reply.

based on right; rightful; lawful:

a just claim.

in keeping with truth or fact; true; correct:

a just analysis.

given or awarded rightly; deserved, as a sentence, punishment, orreward:

a just penalty.

in accordance with standards or requirements; proper or right:

just proportions.

(especially in Biblical use) righteous.

• Reply 55 of 74
    Samsung to unveil 3-lens Galaxy Note 6 Corner. Now with OLED screen wrapped around two edges and a corner. The next big thing is here!!!
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Quote:

just what?

Just...nothing. The word just is not just used as an adverb. I feel that the #6 definition is justly accurate. ;)

JUST (adjective)

guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness:

We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.

done or made according to principle; equitable; proper:

a just reply.

based on right; rightful; lawful:

a just claim.

in keeping with truth or fact; true; correct:

a just analysis.

given or awarded rightly; deserved, as a sentence, punishment, orreward:

a just penalty.

in accordance with standards or requirements; proper or right:

just proportions.

(especially in Biblical use) righteous.

I know. I was just kidding.

• Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:

I don't care how much better the camera is over the iPhone 6.

Just get rid of the abomination that is the protruding lens.

I hope they keep it. No, make it protrude even more. It's not like people whine about DSLRs and their protruding lenses.

• Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:

I know. I was just kidding.

Oh, gotcha. :)   We call that ball busting in the States.

• Reply 59 of 74

I don't care how much better the camera is over the iPhone 6.

Just get rid of the abomination that is the protruding lens.

I hope they keep it. No, make it protrude even more. It's not like people whine about DSLRs and their protruding lenses.

And how many people carry their DSLR around in their trouser pockets?

I rest my case.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    heliahelia Posts: 170member