App Store download buttons change from 'Free' to 'Get' as in-app purchases dominate revenue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I'm sure [@]Richard Getz[/@] likes it just fine. :lol:
  • Reply 22 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Moreover, "Get" has the advantage of parallelism with "Open" whereas "Free" did not (i.e., now they are both verbs).  This is an improvement.

• Reply 23 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Exactly - just LET ME DO A SEARCH THAT EXCLUDES IAP crap, the scourge of the app world.

"Get" it, Apple?

You want an easy, intuitive word for IAP bullshit? Just use "CRAP".

Chillax.  Yes, many IAP apps are crap, but then so are many non-free apps and free apps with no IAPs.  Plenty of the apps I use regularly are free IAP apps and to the best of my recollection I have made a grand total of 1 IAP.  In other words, in my experience plenty of these apps are good, useful apps that don't "require" any payment.  But I get why it's better to downplay the "free" part.

• Reply 24 of 48
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'm sure [@]Richard Getz[/@] likes it just fine. :lol:

But Morgan Getman probably will not care for it. It's a good thing he's movie career is pretty much over.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    But Morgan Getman probably will not care for it. It's a good thing he's movie career is pretty much over.

He can always count on his buddy Clint Westwood for a role.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    malax wrote: »
    Chillax.  Yes, many IAP apps are crap, but then so are many non-free apps and free apps with no IAPs.  Plenty of the apps I use regularly are free IAP apps and to the best of my recollection I have made a grand total of 1 IAP.  In other words, in my experience plenty of these apps are good, useful apps that don't "require" any payment.  But I get why it's better to downplay the "free" part.

One of the best uses I've seen for in-app purchases is to offer a limited free version which allows to unlock the full version with an IAP. Without a proper trial version option for App Store developers this is the most attractive option for buyers.

I personally hate having a free and paid version of an app next to each other in the App Store, as well as hate having no free option to test and app. I really don't understand why Apple doesn't incorporate this feature into their App Store as I would surely buy a lot more apps as well as expensive apps if I could test them. Especially games. Games like Threes[/URL, Groops and Kingdom Rush I would paid a lot more as I was still hooked after some developer set trial period had passed. I'm sure I would paid for an innumerable number of apps that I now say, "Meh. I probably wouldn't use that app much."
  • Reply 27 of 48
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    'Get' sounds so ghetto.
    If it's already installed, will it now say 'Got'?
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

GET?? WTF Apple. Nothing intuitive about that. If you can't use Free because of IAP then how about something like Download? GET sounds stupid and looks fugly.

No doubt brought on by some class-action lawsuit...

"It's not free if you have to buy something to make it useful!" — Lawyer Suing Apple

• Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

'Get' sounds so ghetto.

Maybe they could just use the more colloquially accepted, "GIMMIE"?

• Reply 30 of 48
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

What other word could they use that would fit the small box and still be readable.

Up to 4 letters.

Get.

That's pretty much it.

TAKE

• Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

TAKE

WANT

• Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe they could just use the more colloquially accepted, "GIMMIE"?

• Reply 33 of 48
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

GET?? WTF Apple. Nothing intuitive about that. If you can't use Free because of IAP then how about something like Download? GET sounds stupid and looks fugly.

Are you serious? iTunes has been using a "Get" button for Podcasts since forever.

• Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

"GET"? That's horrible. It's wonky. Cheesy. Too "different". How about...

"FREE" for apps that are truly free or ad-supported.

"$.$$" for one-time paid apps.

"$.$$+" for apps that have in-app purchases.

I realize we humans dislike change and will adapt, but this comes across as horribly un-Apple-like and poorly planned. It's these little things in the post-Jobs era that keep adding up.

Apps with advertising should say so before you download them.

• Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Completely and utterly idiotic.

1. Nothing the EU does is good.

Yeah, the EU's more stringent regulation of toxics is terrible, as is their requiring genetically modified foods to be labelled, more regulation of irradiated food, and scientific-based regulations for education and health, instead of religious ones as in the U.S.

You get more ridiculous every day.

• Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

Couldn't agree more.

What kind of half-assed move is this, Apple? 

'Get' sounds so rude, grasping, thankless, selfish, 'I know my rights'.

MEMO TO TIM COOK: start engaging your brain before authorising such bone-headed decisions. Your software ship needs a new rudder.

• Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

What the **** is more intuitive than "get"? It's most intuitive damn word that exists. All I hear people saying is "I want to get that app" and "did you get that app"? It's part of language now. Also, screen real-estate in the appstore is EXTREMELY valuable, which is why a 3 letter word would get preference over an 8 letter world like "download" which clutters things needlessly, and take space away from the app name, etc. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

"GET"? That's horrible. It's wonky. Cheesy. Too "different". How about...

"FREE" for apps that are truly free or ad-supported.

"$.$$" for one-time paid apps.

"$.$$+" for apps that have in-app purchases.

I realize we humans dislike change and will adapt, but this comes across as horribly un-Apple-like and poorly planned. It's these little things in the post-Jobs era that keep adding up.

What a stupid fucking rant. "Poorly planned"? "Keep adding up.."? What a ridiculous troll. You know what else keeps "adding up"? Apple insane success in the post-Jobs era, which you choose to ignore to focus on a word you don't personally like, for some utterly irrational reason. And yeah, your "solution" of multiple dollar signs, combined with periods and pluses is just SO much more elegant and intuitive than "get". It's pretty incredible what trolls like you get riled up about. Constantly, desperately looking for any excuse to start shrieking and jumping around proclaiming doom and gloom, for reasons that are beyond laughable. The perfect example of superficially and childishly bitching about change.  

/Facepalm

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you, the poster that uses the ugliest, foulest language on AppleInsider bar none, should praise the use of such a crude, ugly word.

• Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

'Get' sounds so ghetto.

That would be my gut feeling.

• Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

What other word could they use that would fit the small box and still be readable.

Up to 4 letters.

Get.

That's pretty much it.

TAKE

THAT

• Reply 40 of 48
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

...scientific-based regulations for education and health, instead of religious ones as in the U.S.

You get more ridiculous every day.

Oh, irony.