App Store download buttons change from 'Free' to 'Get' as in-app purchases dominate revenue

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This is a good thing. Every time I see something labeled as free, when I know better, it makes me irritated to think I've been fooled before and that vast economies exist explicitly via misdirection and outright lies. Just like all the misdirection on labeling at the grocery store. I hate it. I want things to state what they are. I don't want companies trying to fool me. I will shun a company for all time when I see overt misdirection in their marketing, especially when I see the effort they expend and the lengths they go to in order to defeat the spirit of truth in advertising laws by following the letter.

I know that a huge percentage of people are far less attentive than I have become over my lifetime, believing what they read without thinking about the hidden meanings, and they are directly targeted by opportunists in industry that are all too willing to eschew ethics to make a buck.

"Buyer beware" is an anti consumer meme to displace responsibility onto the person that has been manipulated. It's not universal wisdom. Actually, it's wisdom, but not justification. I see lots of wannabe wealthy capitalists use it as justification for unethical business practice.

Blah blah blah ramble ramble time for bed.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member
    I hope they got this deployed in time to avoid yet another nuisance class action lawsuit.
  • Reply 43 of 48

As far as an emotional response, this didn't really move the needle. But I do think it's a good idea that any label that says, "FREE" should be free. Those apps should enjoy that moniker.

• Reply 44 of 48

From a psychological perspective, 'Free' would be more beneficial since people love free stuff. So more apps are downloaded and people choose to do IAP if they want to (or their kids, if they are not responsible enough).

'Get' may take some getting used to, but it won't be as easy as 'Free'.

Still, I think it serves the purpose. Now people will think twice before downloading the apps.

Personally, I never had a problem with IAP until almost every f'in thing on the App Store changed to the 'freemium' model. That really got irritating. I want to pay for my software upfront.

• Reply 45 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Freemium, the "mium" is Latin for "not really"

• Reply 46 of 48
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

List the average price...

Free to download

Average cost "$235.99"

HAHA

• Reply 47 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's a day later and I still think GET is stupid. Apps that you've installed but aren't on your device have a cloud with down arrow next to them.

Purchased-apps-iCloud-iOS-7.jpg

Right now when you click on GET the icon changes to a green rectangle with the word INSTALL. Instead of using GET Why couldn't Apple do something similar to the iCloud download icon except instead of a cloud it would just be a rectangle with a down arrow? I'm assuming the majority of people across the world would understand the meaning of the down arrow and it wouldn't look as stupid as GET does. Plus a down arrow doesn't need to be translated into different languages.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I would like free apps that have no in-app purchase (or all free of charge in-app purchases) to still be listed as Free to further facilitate this effort for clarity.

It looks as though they put the text "in-app purchases" in small writing below every button for an app with IAPs and completely free ones don't have the label. I agree with the idea mentioned in the thread of just using symbols.

There has to be an allowance for paid apps that also have IAPs so it could be that they have the price in a rectangle for paid apps and free for everything else but paid or free apps with IAPs can have a visible plus or currency icon in the upper right corner like a notification symbol to make it clear there's optional purchases too.

The route they chose is at least improving the clarity of which apps are not completely free.