Sony drops out of Steve Jobs movie, Universal rumored to take over

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Seen this Jobs movie, very informative and enjoyable can see why he was concidered a asshole. But then again no General is concidered a hero by his batman ( butler)
  • Reply 22 of 55
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

I wish they would just let the man rest in peace and give Laurene (what an incredible woman btw, she literally radiates sensitivity and wisdom, apart from being stunningly beautiful) and her children the time and space they deserve to assimilate their mourning and rebuilt their lives.

I certainly won't be watching any Steve Jobs movies, I know what Steve stood for, and I 've sensed his qualities via his public persona. Last thing I care about is some sensationalised Hollywood crap that's going to be thinning out this reality and this aura, with plots, dialogues, estranged daughters as heroins,yada yada yada.

Everyone wants to make a dollar, and biopics are the most boring films of all, especially so if you have shared parts of any public figure's life and work, or art. Books are much, much better, documentaries are far more interesting, and the work itself is a far more inspiring legacy to dwell on.  

• Reply 23 of 55
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

No doubt Sorkin is a great writer when he's on but all signs indicate this particular script is a bow wow.

And you have read it?

• Reply 24 of 55
    shsf wrote: »
    I wish they would just let the man rest in peace and give Laurene (what an incredible woman btw, she literally radiates sensitivity and wisdom, apart from being stunningly beautiful) and her children the time and space they deserve to assimilate their mourning and rebuilt their lives.

I certainly won't be watching any Steve Jobs movies, I know what Steve stood for, and I 've sensed his qualities via his public persona. Last thing I care about is some sensationalised Hollywood crap that's going to be thinning out this reality and this aura, with plots, dialogues, estranged daughters as heroins,yada yada yada.

Everyone wants to make a dollar, and biopics are the most boring films of all, especially so if you have shared parts of any public figure's life and work, or art. Books are much, much better, documentaries are far more interesting, and the work itself is a far more inspiring legacy to dwell on.  

My sentiments exactly.

There's so much widely seen footage of Jobs, no actor will be able to replicate him accurately enough.

Also, there's something about the quiet intensity of Jobs which doesn't lend itself to a Hollywood movie. You can't glam it up or over-emphasise it, as is the wont of the film media, or you will destroy it.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I am sick and tired of everyone and his dog wanting to cash in on Steve's name. Drop the movie, let it go.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I get the feeling the script is like a modern "documentarish" drama. Perhaps people involved expect a block buster roller coaster with special effects. I hope they pull it off, and it turns out an intimate and moving glimpse of Steve Jobs' world.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    They should do a trilogy.

Jobs Begins (birth to 1985)
    The NeXT Jobs (1985-1996)
    Jobs Rises (1996-2011)

Get Bale to star, Nolan to direct, and...well, fit Michael Caine in there somewhere lol.
    I'm sure the Lifetime Network will pick that up.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    You have to have Michael Caine as Woz or the deal's off.

“Know your limits, Steve...” said Woz as Steve chomped his 5th banana for the day; the only food he had eaten.
    “Apple... has no limits.”
    You do.”

“You wanna know how I got this OS? C’mere... My partner was... Apple. And one night, I went off crazier than usual. I got a deal to write office software for their new computer, but their OS was way better than ours. I didn’t like that. Not. One. Bit. So, Ballmer watching, I took the OS, made it worse, and packaged it as my own...”

“Oh, you think the Google is your ally... But you merely adopted the Google. I was born in it... Moulded by it...”

“... Eric, what the heck are you talking abo–”

“The Google betrays you because it belongs to me! I will show you the OS I have made during my time at Apple. And then I will break your marketshare...” 

[VIDEO]

*During Steve's exile from Apple*
    Steve's conscience: I come here to offer you a path.
    Steve: What makes you think I need a path?
    Steve's conscience: Someone like you is only here by choice. Whatever your original intentions, you have become truly lost.
    Steve: And what path can you offer?
    Steve's conscience: The path of a man who wishes to serve true justice. The path of the innovator.
    Steve: Haha, the path of the plagiarist.
    Steve's conscience: No, no, no, the plagiarist is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification, he can be destroyed or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man; if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely.
    Steve: Which is?
    Steve's conscience: Legend, Mr. Jobs.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    Just have Pixar make it.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    mj web wrote: »
    No doubt Sorkin is a great writer when he's on but all signs indicate this particular script is a bow wow.

Personally, I find his work overly talky, with a lot of hand waving and typically preachy. His characters are all intolerable know-it-all blabbermouths.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    This will never get made. Why? It's really no longer important. Now don't start... I've been HUGE Apple / Jobs / Woz fan forever (even though the US Festival sucked...), but the whole post Apple - personal tech thing has evolved so quickly to a new era that Jobs at the helm seems like 100 years ago. Think about it, the iPod will likely disappear completely within 18 months, the iPhone era (not it's sales) has peaked, (were you really waiting for that "rumored" 14" iPhone with built-in chest pack?), and the tea leaves say Apple hands off the complete dinosaur desktop business to rusty old IBM in 3 years-ish. To use a term only the movie industry can conjure, Apple tech is in a different "milieu" now. Naaa. This story's best packed away for another generation; 20 years from now, when the university campus terds think "jobs" is just a thing you do. Not a historical person to be discovered. Then make this video. And these are videos by the way. No one shoots on film any more. Can we stop with the "...film review...", "...I'm making a film..." Whole other rant... Cheers!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Swap Spielberg for Nolan. Spielberg will humanize it and make it memorable to all ages.

In that case, I can't wait to see Eric Schmidt avoid Jobs going nuclear by hiding in a lead lined refrigerator...

• Reply 34 of 55
    Personally, I find his work overly talky, with a lot of hand waving and typically preachy. His characters are all intolerable know-it-all blabbermouths.

So, it's like AppleInsider forums, then.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am sick and tired of everyone and his dog wanting to cash in on Steve's name. Drop the movie, let it go.

It's not a cash in.   A movie like this will NEVER make money.   Let's say it takes just $20 million to make (almost an impossibility).   It needs another $20 million to market.   That means it has to do $80 million in box-office ($40 million in rentals) just to break-even.   That's not going to happen for a movie of this nature.  

For a movie to do well today, it has to have big international box-office and be able to do especially well in China.   95% of films do more business internationally than in the U.S.     That's why there's so many big action films - they play well overseas.   While Apple's products are loved throughout the world, the question is whether a bio of Jobs would be loved throughout the world.

Sony probably dropped it because it wasn't worth the hassle and they knew it wasn't going to have big returns.   The big studios are really only interested in films that are so big, they improve shareholder value and increase the stock price.   This film wasn't it.  I'm really surprised Universal picked it up.    But with no director and no star, I bet it goes back into turnaround and personally, I can't think of a single actor who could play Jobs convincingly over the 35+ year period of Apple's life.    We all know the persona of the real Jobs too well.   

The other issue is that you can't really do Jobs justice in a 2-hour movie.   I realize the movie is just going to concentrate on a few events, but if you really want to tell Jobs' story, a cable TV mini-series is probably a much better vehicle.    (Although, they did a pretty good job of telling Gandhi's story in a 3-hour movie, so I guess it's possible.)

• Reply 36 of 55
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

<-'85 "In the beginning..."

'85-97' "In the Wilderness..."

' 97-> "Resurrection"

• Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

They should do a trilogy.

Jobs Begins (birth to 1985)

The NeXT Jobs (1985-1996)

Jobs Rises (1996-2011)

Get Bale to star, Nolan to direct, and...well, fit Michael Caine in there somewhere lol.

Michael Caine can be the initial investor who created their first logo and also bailed out of the investment.

• Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Steve Jobs: The Revengening," A Team Troma Release

A slightly grossed out version of iSteve?  They even make fun of how the Jobs movies don't treat Woz (Hurley) with respect.  

• Reply 39 of 55
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

when this is all over, they should make a movie about the drama which happened over the making of this movie. 

Beat me to it.... :)

• Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The more they talk about this, the less interested I am in it.

Same here. I'm sick of hearing about it.