Foxconn investing $2.6B into new display factory that will exclusively supply Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    rob53 wrote: »

As late as June 2002, AAPL was an adjusted $1/share. Now it's sitting around $114. 10K shares were 1400+ shares prior to last split, 700 before the split in 2005, and 350 before the split in 2000. Starting with 350 shares back in the late 20th century wouldn't have been such a big deal. They didn't cost $465 (my entry point). digitalclips just acted like a true investor, investing for the long run. Yes, this make digitalclips the 1% (or less) of of current gablers/investors but I'm sure there are plenty of people who have held onto their AAPL shares for 20 years or so. Two of my brothers have owned AAPL for at least that long.

2:1 split June 2000, 2:1 split Feb 2005, 7:1 split June 2014. 

My financial person also said to sell before it hit $700 but I told him I was going to hang on. I just wish I put more of my retirement money into AAPL but then it would have dropped.That's my luck. So far I've made 70% in a little over 15 months. I'll take that any day.

To this day my wife says I should have sold at 700 and bought when it dipped. I held. I point out I didn't have a crystal ball! lol Some people are never satisfied!
  • Reply 22 of 56
    pfisher wrote: »
    We all have to remember that the whole market could drop 30% or so at any time. The market has not corrected since 2008. The fed QE and interest rates of 0% have made a market that is not normal. It's a bit of a repeat in behavior after 2001 and we know how 2008 turned out.

People are wetting themselves over Apple stock. It doesn't operate in a vacuum.

A black swan event could happen today or next month or in 3 years.

Hopefully people are diversified with a risk they are willing to take.

Your stocks are worth nothing until you sell!

I'm in total market vanguard index funds and bonds and have a bunch in a stable fund to spend when the market corrects.

To each his or her own. Good luck.

That's a great conservative portfolio idea.

I'm not conservative, nor should I be.

If the whole market drops 30%, your index fund is down 30 percent. Index funds don't protect against that, they only diversify to protect against a specific stock or sector.

I for one am willing to bet that if that happens in the next 3 years, apple would drop less than the 30% and probably recover at a faster rate.

Bonds won't drop 30% but they won't gain 30% either. Having been in Apple awhile, I could take a 30% haircut and still have beat bond performances.

Same goes for your stable fund. If it's that stable, it isn't earning much. You might miss doubling your money for fear of a 30% drop. And will you really buy in the dip? Or think damn Apple is down more than my fund, better stick with it.

Just my aggressive All In take. Not for the faint of heart.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    iqatedo wrote: »
    In 1854, Commodore Matthew Perry, who had the year before forced the Tokugawa Shogunate in Japan to sign a treaty with the US, dropped anchor of Formosa, now Taiwan, for 10 days. He recommended that the island be occupied as it had reserves of coal that would be useful for the new steam powered warships the US navy was using. President Franklin Pierce declined, demurring at the cost. Imagine the outcome of a different response in DC.

That is a fascinating thought although I would have thought China may have seen a US Formosa as we saw Cuba and been a little more aggressive than the Bay of Pigs. I love alternative history mental games though. I read a fun trilogy by an Australian last year on the beach full of such stuff ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_Time

p.s. In this series, the writer , John Birmingham, wrote of the rise of the Caliphate and basically WWIII, this in 2004!
  • Reply 24 of 56
    To this day my wife says I should have sold at 700 and bought when it dipped. I held. I point out I didn't have a crystal ball! lol Some people are never satisfied!

Not always obvious which way the market will go, but 2008 was the biggest flashing BUY sign in my life. I'm glad I acted instead of being paralyzed with fear.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    customtb wrote: »

If the whole market drops 30%, your index fund is down 30 percent. Index funds don't protect against that, they only diversify to protect against a specific stock or sector.

I for one am willing to bet that if that happens in the next 3 years, apple would drop less than the 30% and probably recover at a faster rate.

Bonds won't drop 30% but they won't gain 30% either. Having been in Apple awhile, I could take a 30% haircut and still have beat bond performances.

Same goes for your stable fund. If it's that stable, it isn't earning much. You might miss doubling your money for fear of a 30% drop. And will you really buy in the dip? Or think damn Apple is down more than my fund, better stick with it.

I concur. My attitude is you risk high only with something you can afford to lose. Our original investments were mainly from money made on selling a couple of vacation condos we had owned and rented for years. Plus my entire IRA which as an immigrant later in life wasn't exactly massive. The condos owed us nothing and the profit was just that, pure profit. So risking that on Apple was not the end of the world. That said, I was totally convinced Steve would triumph the second time around.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not always obvious which way the market will go, but 2008 was the biggest flashing BUY sign in my life. I'm glad I acted instead of being paralyzed with fear.

I still kick myself for not buying AIG stock for .85 a share. It was up to $47 within seven months. Would have picked up about 600+ shares too...

• Reply 27 of 56
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    She would have thought twice had she seen the capital gains tax on selling your entire holding at once.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    kibitzer wrote: »
    Attagirl! Just so long as she can abide those periods when the market value might sag as much as 40%, as it did for a time within the last two years. Patience and perseverance. Long-term AAPL owners have seen how consistently strong the company's fundamentals have continued over the years, especially when compared to some of the crap that brokers and investment advisers so often tout.

Diversification for diversification's sake is no way to protect a portfolio if the other stocks are candidates to take big price hits in the next downturn.

Moms 74, dads 85, not only did they weather the downturn by holding on, they took the opportunity to load up more. Dad even starting buying options. Lol.
  • Reply 29 of 56

I still kick myself for not buying AIG stock for .85 a share. It was up to $47 within seven months. Would have picked up about 600+ shares too...

Best story i personally know of is a friend of mine's farther purchased a load of cheap stock in a fledgling insurance company back in the 60's and the family held, much of it still do. That company was bought over and so was that one ... the result has been a 1,400 x multiple on investment.

That said I started working with Apple in 1978. Also Microsoft shortly thereafter. Had I bought $1,000 of each in say 1980 .... :no::no::no: Anyone care to do the math?
  • Reply 30 of 56
    kibitzer wrote: »
    She would have thought twice had she seen the capital gains tax on selling your entire holding at once.

True.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    customtb wrote: »
    Moms 74, dads 85, not only did they weather the downturn by holding on, they took the opportunity to load up more. Dad even starting buying options. Lol.
    And never let go of it for the sake of the heirs. The basic federal estate tax exemption for 2015 is $5,430,000.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is a fascinating thought although I would have thought China may have seen a US Formosa as we saw Cuba and been a little more aggressive than the Bay of Pigs. I love alternative history mental games though. I read a fun trilogy by an Australian last year on the beach full of such stuff ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_Time

p.s. In this series, the writer , John Birmingham, wrote of the rise of the Caliphate and basically WWIII, this in 2004!

Interesting though that Taiwan's importance to the US is probably one reason (if not the main reason) that China has not acted on what it sees as a rebellious state. So, the President of the time declined to occupy Formosa, the US of the present 'occupies' (the hearts and minds) of Taiwan today. Tricky issue for Beijing. :\ 

• Reply 33 of 56
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple must be the biggest boon to Taiwan's economy and people in their country's history. Well, if Ireland ever succumbs to EU pressures, I know where Apple could relocate their overseas operations...and probably completely tax-free.

Apple did have factories in Ireland at one time - back in the Apple ][ or very early Mac days, I believe.

• Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Apple did have factories in Ireland at one time - back in the Apple ][ or very early Mac days, I believe.

I think those persisted well into the late 1990's. They also had the factory at Fremont, CA churning out Macs until the early nineties, IIRC.

• Reply 35 of 56
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member

I'm wondering how much Apple is Pissed Off with Foxconn wanting to not only build their own tablets, but basically making a clone of the ipad mini??? Licensing the Nokia Name as launcher.  If I was Apple, I'd be a little Pissed.  In fact I may start to take business elsewhere.

• Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

I'm wondering how much Apple is Pissed Off with Foxconn wanting to not only build their own tablets, but basically making a clone of the ipad mini??? Licensing the Nokia Name as launcher.  If I was Apple, I'd be a little Pissed.  In fact I may start to take business elsewhere.

Probably nothing they can do. Foxconn is what makes the world go around in the tech gadget world.

It is pretty crappy to carbon copy the iPad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

I like what Carl Icahn recently said: He expects a correction in the next 3-5 years, but no one knows. Also, the S&P 500 could go up 1000 points before correcting.  So it could go up 30% before falling. You never know. No one knows.

People are saying we are in a 20 year bull run (like early 80s to 2000). So you buy for the long run and accept corrections.

Apple is good at least as a decent dividend stock. Apple seems to keep doing a lot of amazing things and the stock will reflect that.

If Apple gets ARM fast enough to decently emulate Intel...if they can get access to the Intel patents...

And the iPhone as the new DLSR-like always with you camera...

Apple long is a good bed. But good to be diversified.

• Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LOL. If you believe in Apple long term it won't matter if the market collapses.

Look at Apple's price in 1999 and then now.

Look at Apple's price in 2001 and then now.

Look at Apple's price in 2008 and then now.

The USA stock market won't collapse unless we have a recession.  And even if we do Apple will recover like the broad market.

In YTD Apple is over performing the market by 400% so your theory that Apple follows the market is not true.

IMO, trying to time broad market moves is impossible and dangerous. Staying out of the market for a few months could cause you to lose BIG MONEY. There were tons of people saying we were due for a correction in 2012 and if you listen to them you missed on MASSIVE gains.

But you sold all of your shares, right? That's what you said you would do when you were concern-trolling over the GTA scandal. You said Tim Cook was a lousy leader and you'd sell all your shares when it went over $110...

• Reply 38 of 56
    zoetmb wrote: »

Assembly plant for Apple][s in Cork for sure, I visited it.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    nolamacguy wrote: »

But you sold all of your shares, right? That's what you said you would do when you were concern-trolling over the GTA scandal. You said Tim Cook was a lousy leader and you'd sell all your shares when it went over $110...

If he had, I think we'd have heard the gun shot by now ... ;)
  • Reply 40 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

On the other hand Tim Cook would advise against making investment decisions based on what you think you know about Apple's supply chain. In theory this could be a result of someone else's screw up rather than unexpected demand. (But I agree with you that it's probably a positive sign.)

Please stop confusing the issue with rational thinking.