Foxconn investing $2.6B into new display factory that will exclusively supply Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Everyone's talking about stocks but does this news mean Apple may be dumping Sammy soon?

or am I missing something?
  • Reply 42 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cali wrote: »
    Everyone's talking about stocks but does this news mean Apple may be dumping Sammy soon?

Apple stopped using Samsung displays in iPhones several generations ago AFAIK. I think the 4 was perhaps the last one that used 'em.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I have 7000 in shares now but I am not buying the downside risk story. I have bought more apple with every downturn and sold on major upswings. I have basically turned 150k into around 800k. Apple would have to do DAMN bad for me to lose now.

Simple fact: simplicity sells.

Jobs knew this intrinsically.

When I see a company other than apple that can sell highly simple to use and effective products to the high end market, i will know where to invest my money elsewhere.

Remember that apple essentially rendered their OWN products obsolete. That's not easy to do in tech.

Holding onto apple till at least $150 a share, but each time I consider selling they have "one more thing"...

My bet: Apple's haptic touch feature on the iwatch will be popular, WILDLY popular. touch ID would is much more popular than the press were saying too.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    blazar wrote: »
    I have 7000 in shares now but I am not buying the downside risk story. I have bought more apple with every downturn and sold on major upswings. I have basically turned 150k into around 800k. Apple would have to do DAMN bad for me to lose now.

Simple fact: simplicity sells.

Jobs knew this intrinsically.

When I see a company other than apple that can sell highly simple to use and effective products to the high end market, i will know where to invest my money elsewhere.

Remember that apple essentially rendered their OWN products obsolete. That's not easy to do in tech.

Holding onto apple till at least $150 a share, but each time I consider selling they have "one more thing"...

My bet: Apple's haptic touch feature on the iwatch will be popular, WILDLY popular. touch ID would is much more popular than the press were saying too.

I know the feeling. I can see us never selling other than in dire need or perhaps one day for a bucket list item.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

But you sold all of your shares, right? That's what you said you would do when you were concern-trolling over the GTA scandal. You said Tim Cook was a lousy leader and you'd sell all your shares when it went over $110...

Ah, but that makes rog35 all the wiser if he's held on, because as Ralph Waldo Emerson famously observed, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

• Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I'm sure Apple will work with whoever has the best tech/tools/resources and at the best price.

I'm sure they would like to move away from Samsung, but cost and skill will come first. I'm sure that's how Apple sees itself winning. No need to worry about lame-o copycats.

• Reply 47 of 56
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I'm sure Apple will work with whoever has the best tech/tools/resources and at the best price.

I'm sure they would like to move away from Samsung, but cost and skill will come first. I'm sure that's how Apple sees itself winning. No need to worry about lame-o copycats.

You mean lame-o copycats like Foxconn who has decided to stab Apple in the back just like Samsung by partnering with Nokia to build, market and distribute a counterfeit iPad mini running Android.

• Reply 48 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    volcan wrote: »
    You mean lame-o copycats like Foxconn who has decided to stab Apple in the back just like Samsung by partnering with Nokia to build, market and distribute a counterfeit iPad mini running Android.

That will sell well .... /cough cough .... I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    iqatedo wrote: »
    In 1854, Commodore Matthew Perry, who had the year before forced the Tokugawa Shogunate in Japan to sign a treaty with the US, dropped anchor of Formosa, now Taiwan, for 10 days. He recommended that the island be occupied as it had reserves of coal that would be useful for the new steam powered warships the US navy was using. President Franklin Pierce declined, demurring at the cost. Imagine the outcome of a different response in DC.

That is a fascinating thought although I would have thought China may have seen a US Formosa as we saw Cuba and been a little more aggressive than the Bay of Pigs. I love alternative history mental games though. I read a fun trilogy by an Australian last year on the beach full of such stuff ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_Time

p.s. In this series, the writer , John Birmingham, wrote of the rise of the Caliphate and basically WWIII, this in 2004!

In 1854 China was very weak. In fact, 80 years later they couldn't respond against the Japanese. After WWII, when the Nationalist Chinese fled to Formosa (which the Japanese claimed prior to WWII) the Mao army was powerless to dislodge them. Hence the standoff which exists today. To grind the history even a bit further; the Formosan people view the Nationalist Chinese as foreign invaders and wold love to see them paddle bak to the mainland. So, there's really no strength anywhere to force a change.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    volcan wrote: »
    pfisher wrote: »

Foxconn will manufacture for whomever will pay them. It is the nature of their business plan. Just because the press connects Apple and Foxconn like they are practically one entity, don't go believing everything you read. Foxconn is a vendor for whomever brings them a job.

Over the years Foxconn was contracts with Apple to also source components from various other vendors, then Apple took over that responsibility. This story is different in that Foxconn will be the supplier for a major component and Apple will buy up all their production for some unannounced period of time. Although I've read of rumors of exclusive contracts between Apple and Foxconn before, I think this is largest rumored.

If this is true, then it will be the most costly outcome to Samsung's copying of Apple's iPhone. I hope that someday some one will do a study of the economics of the Samsung/Apple relationship as it developed and fell apart.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Foxconn will manufacture for whomever will pay them. It is the nature of their business plan. Just because the press connects Apple and Foxconn like they are practically one entity, don't go believing everything you read. Foxconn is a vendor for whomever brings them a job.

This deal is different. Nokia is only licensing their name to Foxconn. Foxconn is doing everything regarding developing and marketing the devices.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Ah, but that makes rog35 all the wiser if he's held on, because as Ralph Waldo Emerson famously observed, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

that quote doesn't really apply. its criticizing those who insist on strict policy adherence since doing so requires less thought than making per-incident decisions. sog is evidently just a hypocrite who had no intention of selling and probably didn't believe it himself when he said Cook was a poor leader of apple. he was just being a drama troll.

• Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Volcan View Post

This deal is different. Nokia is only licensing their name to Foxconn. Foxconn is doing everything regarding developing and marketing the devices.

and providing support per the MR article i read. how odd. sounds to me like its their baby and Nokia's brand, licensed-only.

• Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I still kick myself for not buying AIG stock for .85 a share. It was up to $47 within seven months. Would have picked up about 600+ shares too...

Best story i personally know of is a friend of mine's farther purchased a load of cheap stock in a fledgling insurance company back in the 60's and the family held, much of it still do. That company was bought over and so was that one ... the result has been a 1,400 x multiple on investment.

That said I started working with Apple in 1978. Also Microsoft shortly thereafter. Had I bought $1,000 of each in say 1980 .... imageimageimage Anyone care to do the math?

Sure.

You might afford a larger shaving brush.

• Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That will sell well .... /cough cough .... I wouldn't worry too much.

It is not a matter of how well it sells, it is a matter of Apple suppliers trying to enter Apple's  markets. There are certain boundaries that a trusted relationship requires. This is the exact issue that made China a first world power. The US shared technical manufacturing secrets with them to manufacture things for us and now they use that knowledge to compete with us. I have to think that the US was stupid to do that.

Our universities are mainly to blame. We trained every one of their scientists.