Manual iCloud.com photo uploads now available to all Apple users

Posted:
in iCloud edited December 2014
After spending a few weeks in developer-only beta testing, the new iCloud.com photo uploading feature is now available on the Web to all Apple users with iCloud accounts.

As of Friday, the upload feature on iCloud Photos is now accessible to all users. The new "Upload" option appears next to "Select Photos" in the iCloud Photos section of iCloud.com

Clicking the "Upload" button allows users to add .JPG images to their iCloud Photo cache for browsing on iOS and Mac devices. The button brings up a Finder window from which users can select single images or batches of photos to send to iCloud.

Once the pictures have been uploaded, they are then pushed down to iPhones, iPads and Mac signed in to the associated iCloud account. They can also be made available to users granted access to images via iCloud Photo Sharing.

iCloud Photos, known as iCloud Photo Library on iOS 8, lets users automatically upload photos and video from their Camera Roll for storage and cross-device syncing and download. The feature is similar to Photo Stream in iOS 7, but with support for full-resolution content and edit syncing.

iCloud Photos remains labeled as a beta. As of Friday's launch, it only supports .JPG videos, and will not accept images in other formats. It also cannot be used to upload video files.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Awesome! :smokey:
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I don't see any Photo app (among 11 icons) in my icloud.com account. Is it really available to all users or should I do something specific to turn it on?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    jason98 wrote: »
    I don't see any Photo app (among 11 icons) in my icloud.com account. Is it really available to all users or should I do something specific to turn it on?
    For me it initially didn't show up either... It spontaneously populated to my account after a few minutes of idle login time...
  • Reply 4 of 32
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Once the pictures have been uploaded, they are then pushed down to iPhones, iPads and Mac signed in to the associated iCloud account. They can also be made available to users granted access to images via iCloud Photo Sharing.

Every picture gets pushed to every device? 

SMH

• Reply 5 of 32

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about an hour ago how it'd be nice to have this.

• Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Every picture gets pushed to every device? 

SMH

That's probably why there's a toggle setting to either keep the originals or just an optimized (aka scaled versions) on a particular device.

• Reply 7 of 32
    A crying shame one isn't able to move their shared Photo Streams over to this new place on iCloud. I really hope Photos for OSX is going to solve this, in that it will have a migration tool for iPhoto and Aperture users. Because manually uploading photos without any structure is, well, reasonably useless.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So when do we get video uploads?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

When Apple says so.

Even if there are Apple employees reading this forum, they're not going to divulge the timeline of new feature releases.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's here.

The biggest problem with video uploads is the size of the file, even if it's a manual upload.

It's one thing for Apple to push photos to devices, it's something else to push humongous video files. Apple would probably need to devise a way to manually download video files stored in iCloud, possibly with a cloud icon and maybe with some sort of information indicating file size.

• Reply 10 of 32
    Apple needs to get their act together on iCloud Drive and this Photos folder business. I should be able to view my documents on my iOS devices (other than one created with Apple proprietary Apps) and I should be able to automatically sync my iPhoto library without customizing the location. Apple has been doing some great things but still needs to pay better attention to the details is they truly want to be considered great.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

When Apple says so.

Even if there are Apple employees reading this forum, they're not going to divulge the timeline of new feature releases.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's here.

The biggest problem with video uploads is the size of the file, even if it's a manual upload.

It's one thing for Apple to push photos to devices, it's something else to push humongous video files. Apple would probably need to devise a way to manually download video files stored in iCloud, possibly with a cloud icon and maybe with some sort of information indicating file size.

Are you kidding me?  Let me get this straight.  The leader of tech companies needs to solve the issue with file size being large???  Apple just needs to get their act together.  There are over a dozen companies that offer online video file storage solutions.  You are talking like it has never been done before.  Apple is too focused on hardware.  They need to step it up on the software side.

• Reply 12 of 32
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

No, they need to implement a way where uploading and downloading large files does not undesirably impact the end user's network.

Let's face it: Apple is more focused on getting iCloud Photos up and running before turning their attention to video. You need to learn to walk before you can run. Apple's current Photo Stream feature is just toddling around.

Remember, it's BETA.

• Reply 13 of 32

Confirming, this new 'feature' will allow me to sync my 20,000 photos to all of my 16gig devices? Also, I thought you had to have IOS 8 & Yosemite to upgrade to iCloud Drive, & that once you did that, all of your older devices that that ran IOS 7 or older, or Mavericks or older, couldn't use nor access iCloud Drive. Some older devices can't nor shouldn't be updated. Verifying this is a step up in 'connectivity' for all of your devices?

• Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

...on iCloud Drive and this Photos... ...I should be able to view my documents on my iOS devices (other than one created with Apple proprietary Apps)...

Just exactly what are you wanting to view? AFAIK you can view most docs on your iOS device (e.g., Office - MS Supplies a native app for the big 3 that lets you do that, all kinds of CAD, graphics and video stuff is viewable if not from Apple via a 3rd party app that are generally available free).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

...and I should be able to automatically sync my iPhoto library without customizing the location...

I don't understand what you are asking for, unless what you are saying is you want your iPhoto library to be automagically found by iOS which seems rather nonsensical considering it would have to have the rights to search numerous volumes for it e.g., what if you have an iMac that you use at work and they provide an NAS drive for storage of that kind of stuff - do you want Apple or anyone to be able crawl the net looking for iPhoto lib.

• Reply 15 of 32
    I don't know what I think of Apple taking Google's approach to labeling something "Beta" as an excuse for it being overly limited. The fact that it's 2014 and simple features aren't available like a Photo Stream tab, or Sharing, or even Apple's default image format .PNG %u2013 the same time that Apple has the ability to ship gold phones thinner than a pencil with sapphire fingerprint sensors with secret "enclaves"? That indicates something deeply wrong in their web services division. Maybe it just indicates the genius at Apple ends at the doors of Tim Cook and Jony Ive.

In this case it doesn't yet deserve to have a Photos app icon on it. I don't think the original iPhone Photos app was this limited even?
  • Reply 16 of 32

I only have 11,000 photos in my iPhoto library & every time I try to upload all photos to iCloud Safari crashes. What a joke this is. Apple care is telling me I am uploading to many photos at once & should only upload 100-200 at a time. It works this way but at this rate it will take a week for me to upload all photos. I was so annoyed that

I turned the feature off on my iPhone & iPad & re synced my iPhone & iPad on iTunes to get my photos back. I will try again in a month or two to see if they resolved this issue.

• Reply 17 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mpantone wrote: »
    No, they need to implement a way where uploading and downloading large files does not undesirably impact the end user's network.

Let's face it: Apple is more focused on getting iCloud Photos up and running before turning their attention to video. You need to learn to walk before you can run. Apple's current Photo Stream feature is just toddling around.

Remember, it's BETA.

No, let's face it when it comes to cloud, Apple really needs to step up their game. Apple's hardware is fantastic, it's software where they need to step up.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Finally, this is shaping up to the way it should be. Love the option of optimized thumbnails on devices, that only download in full resolution when you access the photo. Makes a ton of sense. I've enabled it on all my iDevices. An infinite repository stored online automatically is what I've always wanted, I get what they were going for with photostream, but it was a bit confusing and never gave me the piece of mind I craved, or the flexibility in accessing photos. This will be brilliant once all features are implemented and the new Mac app is released. 

• Reply 19 of 32

It wasn't showing up for me either. I typed www.icloud.com/#photos and was able to get to the intro photos page.

• Reply 20 of 32
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JAEberhart View Post

It wasn't showing up for me either. I typed www.icloud.com/#photos and was able to get to the intro photos page.

Finally found out how to get it to work. You need to turn on iCloud photo library on your iOS device. What worries me is it says it will "Automatically upload and store your entire library in iCloud to access photos and videos from all your devices." I still only have the 5GB of free storage. Once I turn this feature on on my iPhone I can see this space instantly filling up. So far, my photos don't cost me any space but with the iCloud Photo Library will Apple start including photos in the storage allotment, forcing me to start paying for more space? Second question: I know it's manual right now but which photos be uploaded? Everything I take with my iPhone?