How to make the most of Apple's HealthKit in iOS 8 with compatible apps and accessories

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    WiThings is based in England and has abysmal customer service based on a bunch of reviews. Basically impossible to communicate with them. One Amazon reviewer said they have an FFF rating with the BBB but I did not check on that. Also their scale needs batteries changed every six months which seems like a pain. I think the Apple Health App is really good (and Improving all the time) but some of the 3rd Party vendors and their hardware are not yet ready for prime time.
  • Reply 62 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't understand what larger point you're implying. Apple is clearly better equipped for 3rd-party ?Watch apps (and iPad apps back in 2010) than they were for iPhone apps back in 2007. What is [@]iaeen[/@] saying that would argue against that?

My point is for everyone who says Steve would have done X with ?Watch history tells us differently.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    iaeen wrote: »
    tyler82 wrote: »
    "missing that part of your brain today"
    "Doesn't take a rocket scientist"

Those are subtle personal attacks. The argument then comes off as one by a petulant child.

and you really think that tracking and logging your running, swimming, biking, weight lifting, and actually any sport are "extremely limited uses?" These market segments are hot right now. So, no, they are not "extremely limited uses." I don't know of any supplier that requires you to have TWO devices on you at all times to get these benefits. The iWatch does.

And in regards to Apple mimicking its earlier steps for the iPod.. You think technology should always start at square one? In that case why doesn't it have a black and white 2 bit screen? Or a spinning disk drive? should it also have a floppy drive? Old Apple hardware used to have them.

Technology ADVANCES, it's not supposed to regress.

Stop being an apologist.

Yes, I do consider catering to the needs of a self proclaimed fitness fanatic to be extremely limited. Apple designed the watch to appeal to the average health conscious person. It is not a fitness tracker. It is a health tracker (among other things), and to do that it needs to integrate into day to day life without dedicating itself to fitness to the point that it looses other functionality.

If you want a dedicated fitness tracker then go and buy a dedicated fitness tracker. Either way, stop whining that this product is useless just because it doesn't fit your exact needs.

If fitness tracking is a niche market—which it is—then health tracking is an ultra-niche market.

Just because people work out to get fit doesn't mean they want to track their progress.

You may be old; in which case: congratulations! You've made it that far—might as well treat yourself, rather than worrying about increasing your lifespan by a few days.

You may be unhealthy; you know the solution: eat well, go to bed early and be a little more active.

If you're well, you don't need to track anything. Relax and stop fretting over the minutiae of your body, which is liable to make you either paranoid or bored.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    Might wanna wait until the Apple Watch is actually released and folks have a chance to actually use the shipping product, before trying to make sweeping statements about it.

God I miss Steve™

Lol

Let him go already, guys.
  • Reply 65 of 112
    And here come the personal attacks. Lol. it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that I was implying that the current Watch is very limited, Dr. Nola. Obviously it will be a much better product in the future. And Steve Jobs grew and learned. He realized his mistakes and that opening up the iPod was the right thing to do. Releasing a phone with built in networking in this case would be the right thing to do. I'll wait a few updates to decide if I want the watch.

1) it's not a personal attack to point out that the same patterns are repeated and it doesn't take a genius to see them.

2) jobs didn't release a static iPhone because he was naive. he released it because that's all that was ready. if they had waited until their OS had a rock solid dev API it would have meant far more delay. to not understand this simple, repeated pattern in tech is silly. to not understand the same decisions are being made with the watch today is silly. to believe Jobs would have done anything different defies history. to invoke his ghost is just flat out fucking stupid.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    "missing that part of your brain today"
    "Doesn't take a rocket scientist"

Those are subtle personal attacks. The argument then comes off as one by a petulant child.

and you really think that tracking and logging your running, swimming, biking, weight lifting, and actually any sport are "extremely limited uses?" These market segments are hot right now. So, no, they are not "extremely limited uses." I don't know of any supplier that requires you to have TWO devices on you at all times to get these benefits. The iWatch does.

And in regards to Apple mimicking its earlier steps for the iPod.. You think technology should always start at square one? In that case why doesn't it have a black and white 2 bit screen? Or a spinning disk drive? should it also have a floppy drive? Old Apple hardware used to have them.

Technology ADVANCES, it's not supposed to regress.

Stop being an apologist.

if you're going to bring out the tired "steve jobs would never" trope by saying you miss steve because you knew him so well and know he'd never, then it's fair to point out your brain is missing actual facts and history. that's not an insult. it's letting you know you're being ignorant.

and you're flat out wrong - watch doesn't require you to carry the iPhone to do the fitness tracking. that's one of apple's native apps that is built into the OS. you can leave the house and walk, jog, run, and it will track it.

so stop being a FUD troll.
  • Reply 67 of 112
    I don't understand what larger point you're implying. Apple is clearly better equipped for 3rd-party ?Watch apps (and iPad apps back in 2010) than they were for iPhone apps back in 2007. What is [@]iaeen[/@] saying that would argue against that?

no he's just saying the iPhone was released with a much more restricted feature set for devs, and look how well that turned out. with the watch, Apple is going so far as to explicitly tell devs when and how they can write apps. if that's not progress what is, etc...
  • Reply 68 of 112
    You may be old; in which case: congratulations! You've made it that far—might as well treat yourself, rather than worrying about increasing your lifespan by a few days.

Define old. Define what age people can say, "**** it, I'm giving up on life" that I don't need to care about my health ever again.
    You may be unhealthy; you know the solution: eat well, go to bed early and be a little more active.

Eating well, going to bed early and being a little more active is the cure for all unhealthy people, eh?
    If you're well, you don't need to track anything. Relax and stop fretting over the minutiae of your body, which is liable to make you either paranoid or bored.

So healthy people never become unhealthy? And do you know what you had for breakfast 10 days ago? I bet you don't, and you expect us to believe you will naturally remember nuanced health changes over weeks, months and years that could help indicate a change in health before it becomes an issue?

One thing is clear, you're not in a heath related field.
  • Reply 69 of 112

This may not seem obvious but the Apple Watch is not only about Apps.  Some of us may actual buy the Apple Watch primary to use as a watch. It has so many different faces. I have spent years looking for a watch with the right face, numbers, style etc  and have never found one.  When I saw the first pictures of the new Apple Watch, there it was, exactly the style of face I have been looking for all these years.

• Reply 70 of 112
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    1) Right, because that's how you set it up, like setting up ?Pay, but your iPhone doesn't need to be present for using ?Pay.
    Do you have a link to something definitive about this? I've been wondering how it works, and whether both the iPhone and ?Watch must reconcile with each other and with one's bank after so many transactions without being in contact with either. My understanding from watching the keynote is that the Watch needed to be near the phone. If not, then you wouldn't even need an iPhone, much less a 5 or 6 series to use it. A Mac could set it up, or even a PC, or an iPad, or 4S ... I mean, could I just go on a trip with my ?Watch and leave my iPhone at home, and use ?Pay whiteout limitation?
  • Reply 71 of 112
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to something definitive about this? I've been wondering how it works, and whether both the iPhone and ?Watch must reconcile with each other and with one's bank after so many transactions without being in contact with either.

All the info I have is from Apple's event, the interviews with Apple employees immediately after, and their website.

It can be used to buy things through Apple's new Pay system, in case you're out on a jog without your phone and want to buy a drink at Whole Foods or another Pay-participating vendor.

My understanding from watching the keynote is that the Watch needed to be near the phone. If not, then you wouldn't even need an iPhone, much less a 5 or 6 series to use it.

1) Not to use it, but you need an iPhone 5 or newer to set up ?Pay on ?Watch.

2) It will know when you take off the watch due to the sensors against the wrist which will keep ?Pay from working until you authenticate again. It's not known if this requires the iPhone to authenticate or if you can do it from ?Watch but I suspect that you can use the digital crown to input a 4-digit PIN.
    A Mac could set it up, or even a PC, or an iPad, or 4S …

No, it has to be an iPhone 5 or newer device.
    I mean, could I just go on a trip with my ?Watch and leave my iPhone at home, and use ?Pay whiteout limitation?

You could, but I wouldn't consider anything more than a couple hour trek where your iPhone would get in the way and where making a payment would happen, but you also need to make sure that the place has NFC setup and will accept ?Pay. In early 2015 that will be an issue, but in a few years I suspect it will common to say, 'I can't believe they don't accept [?Pay | NFC] yet," when you come across some outlier.
  • Reply 72 of 112

Slightly OT Regarding ?Pay: What happens, when I have more than one card registered and you want to pay? Does this not involve an extra step selecting the card you want to use?

• Reply 73 of 112
    Slightly OT Regarding ?Pay: What happens, when I have more than one card registered and you want to pay? Does this not involve an extra step selecting the card you want to use?

Of course, but the selection couldn't be easier.

Hopefully we'll eventually be able to pin cards to certain types of businesses and businesses by name so that the right card appears 99.9% of the time.
  • Reply 74 of 112
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,108member
    a
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    if you're going to bring out the tired "steve jobs would never" trope by saying you miss steve because you knew him so well and know he'd never, then it's fair to point out your brain is missing actual facts and history. that's not an insult. it's letting you know you're being ignorant.

and you're flat out wrong - watch doesn't require you to carry the iPhone to do the fitness tracking. that's one of apple's native apps that is built into the OS. you can leave the house and walk, jog, run, and it will track it.

UMAD?
  • Reply 75 of 112
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,108member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Of course, but the selection couldn't be easier.

Hopefully we'll eventually be able to pin cards to certain types of businesses and businesses by name so that the right card appears 99.9% of the time.

Still waiting on your response to what year you bought your first Apple product, and what it was.

Are you really a part of the Apple family, or are you an invited guest?

• Reply 76 of 112
    Still waiting on your response to what year you bought your first Apple product, and what it was.

I've mentioned my first Mac on this site plenty of times but the reasons you want to know so you can 1) say, "no, you couldn't have had a Mac before me," or 2) say, "I've had a Mac longer than you so I know more than you." Either way your line of questioning is irrational and foolish.
    Are you really a part of the Apple family, or are you an invited guest?

I have no idea what that is suppose to mean but it sounds like both insanity and snobbery.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    nolamacguy wrote: »

To be fair ?Watch doesn't have GPS so you would need your phone if you wanted to use it for running.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    rogifan wrote: »
    To be fair ?Watch doesn't have GPS so you would need your phone if you wanted to use it for running.

No. My Fitbit had no built-in GPS and yet it was great for running.

Do you usually run so far that you get lost?
  • Reply 79 of 112

No but isn't it difficult to get accurate data without GPS?
  • Reply 80 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

No but isn't it difficult to get accurate data without GPS?

Yes, of course. 

Solip is just being a troll.