IDC: Tablet market suffers massive slowdown in 2014, Apple's iPad not immune

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88

That's a lot of Android door stops and coasters they're selling.

• Reply 22 of 88
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm not surprised. Tablets are good enough now that people keep them for 3-4 years. The only reason I upgraded my Air to the Air 2 was the 2GB RAM. Had the first Air come with more RAM I doubt I would have upgraded.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I am still using my iPad 2 for web and email and it works great (though iOS 8 slowed it down some what). Yet I replace my iPhone with the latest model every year. I see the iPad as more of a home appliance and I don't upgrade my home appliances on a regular basis. I keep using them until they die.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    Riiiiiigggghhht. This is the same IDC who, back in 2011, predicted that in 2015 the Worldwide Smartphone OS Market Share will look like this:

Android: 43.8%
    Blackberry OS 13.4% (won't even dignify with a comment)
    Symbian 0.1%
    iOS 16.9% (predicted that Apple's marketshare would DROP between 2011 and 2015)
    Windows 20.3% (predicted that Windows would become #2 in marketshare - I mean, really?)
    Others 5.5%

This is a real prediction that IDC made. You can look it up.
    Think there was any anti-Apple 'tude going on? I guess it could've been worse - at least they didn't predict Apple would go under...

I remember the industry looked like in 2011. I don't know that anyone would've predicted things would turn out exactly as they have, but I for one would have been close. Blackberry was in serious trouble almost from the launch of the original iPhone. Windows was a non-entity.
    What WERE they thinking?
  • Reply 25 of 88
    I sell android and apple tablets for a living. So believe me when I tell you that the only people that buy android are those on a budget or the uber needs out there. Everyone else buys apple at a ratio of 5:2.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Except for Apple, who reports their sales numbers, all the other numbers IDC cites are made up and worthless. End of story.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by happywaiman View Post

Where did all that 183.1M Android tablet have gone? In this case we should see 3 Android tablet before I see an iPad. And all I seen yesterday is six iPad Air with 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Please don't tell me they count Phablet as tablet too.

I've bought 4 over the last three years and they all had serious problems. They were returned.

• Reply 28 of 88
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Where do you live?  The numbers are for worldwide.  It's a different story in the US.  I don't see too many ipads when I travel to Asia or Europe.

The times I have been in Japan I have seen more iPads than Android tablets in the wild.  I suspect China and SE Asia are different from Japan/Hong Kong.

• Reply 29 of 88
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Better yet just wait for the 15". /s

I'm holding out for 17" running Mac OS X /s
  • Reply 30 of 88
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    This analysis comports to my usage. I bought a 128GB iPad Air last year and don't envision upgrading it in the foreseeable future. I primarily use the iPad as a media hub although it does have productivity apps. I prefer to work, email, and surf the Web on my MB Air.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    My dad tried buying Android tablets even though I told him not to do it. They are ALL sitting in his closet right now.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    davendaven Posts: 696member

It doesn't surprise me. I have an original iPad and a Mini. I don't have a pressing need to buy new versions. I suspect that most people who would have bought tablets already bought them and as there are almost no moving parts and the batteries keep charges better than they used to, nobody is upgrading.

• Reply 33 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I want a 15”, but that’s six years off. I have a first gen, will get a 12, and then the 15 will run OS XI, so that’s a nice six year lifecycle.

I can't even imagine what Apple will be selling 6 years from now... Paper thin displays? Roll-up displays? Wireless power for everything?

• Reply 34 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm holding out for 17" running Mac OS X /s

They'll save that for the wrap-around visor Mac.

• Reply 35 of 88
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Where do you live?  The numbers are for worldwide.  It's a different story in the US.  I don't see too many ipads when I travel to Asia or Europe.

IDC is just guessing the numbers...and gaming the numbers for their paid subscribers.

• Reply 36 of 88
    Three things iPad is missing to kill cheap laptops once and for all:

1. Split screen multi-tasking
    2. Multi-user accounts via Touch ID
    3. Larger screen with thinner bezel
  • Reply 37 of 88
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

I see lots of little Nexus tablets around here. My trips to Europe suggest that Android tablets are pretty popular over there, too (albeit probably not three times as popular). Apple (and third party case manufacturers) makes its logo so visible that it catches the eye, but a lot of "anonymous" tablets turn out to be Android on close inspection. Plus most app-makers are putting out Android versions nowadays; I doubt they'd bother if there were no market. That said, I've never owned an Android tablet.

For me, though, the upgrade cycle on my iPad is "until it breaks, and maybe not even then." My iPad basically just serves as a toy for the kids. I've never found a productivity use for it that I care about that my phone can't do and without making me carry something that doesn't fit in my pocket. I prefer typing (swiping) on my phone to typing on the iPad; the onscreen keyboard slows me down too much and the keyboard cases are frustratingly small compared to a standard keyboard. I don't care for it (or for my phone) as a media device: I'd rather use a bigger screen at home for media and a smaller screen for ebooks (I just use my phone) and I don't commute in a way that permits reading or viewing. I know it works for a lot of people, but it's just not my preferred device for anything in particular, and it's not intriguing enough as a toy for my kids to replace it. I wonder whether any substantial number of other people have come to the same conclusions. 

• Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m waiting for the 13”, myself.

Yeah I am as well.  I've got an iPad Mini (the original) and an iPad 2, and I've not managed to find a use case for either of them that's greater than browsing and playing the odd game.  I tried to use it as a Macbook replacement, but it just didn't cut it, so I've not found it useful at work at all.

The truth is, I'm not going to pay to regularly update something that fits my use cases so well with a much earlier model.

If they do a 13", I really can see that fitting into some of my work needs, and my approach might change.

• Reply 39 of 88
    Samsung had to show their true tablet numbers when they were in court with Apple. Numbers the IDC reported as real numbers. Numbers that were inflated by a factor of ten. Look it up.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I've upgraded annually and only lost $50-$70 on the 16gb version (selling after announcement but before launch).  That made it very easy to keep upgrading for essentially no cost (or less than Apple Care).  The last two times- 32gb iPad 4 & 32gb iPad Air, I've sold for way less.  Not that I don't love my iPad Air 2, but the "cost savings" isn't quite there anymore like it was.

Resale market is definitely worse than before.