• Reply 41 of 88
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

iPod Touch

iPhone 4S

iPhone 5S

iPhone 6

iPhone 6 Plus

iPad

They're all variations on the same thing, a touchscreen iOS gizmo.

Is there truly a tablet market, or is the tablet just the high end of the lineup in the single iOS Gizmo Market?

• Reply 42 of 88
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    In Australia you hardly see a non ipad tablet, when you do it is usually a samsung variant. I have seen a nexus tablet, the anti apple IT geek at work. He is doing all he can to get people off iPads and onto surface pros, and is encountering strong headwinds.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    adamc wrote: »
    IDC is just guessing the numbers...and gaming the numbers for their paid subscribers.

Wait a minute... I just saw the numbers for free. :D

Why would anyone pay for these numbers anyway?

Maybe I need a lesson on what these "analysts" actually do. Does anyone use this data to gain something from it?

Since we always assume these numbers are fake... wouldn't that eventually reveal itself?

• Reply 44 of 88
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    To make you look like you are doing better than your competitors, or in this case, your competitors aren't doing well.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I can't even imagine what Apple will be selling 6 years from now... Paper thin displays? Roll-up displays? Wireless power for everything?

I can’t see any device needing a curved display... Maybe a future Apple Watch, but otherwise. The roll-up idea is an extension thereof, but it would require a mechanism to retain stability when pulled out. If we consider those metamaterials that can retain their shape when an electric current is sent through them it’s a possibility, but requiring electricity to keep the shape stable would also imply much more powerful batteries.

I think that the next wave of true innovation is contingent on another huge leap in battery tech. Until we get batteries of the same size that can hold 4x or so the charge, we’re constrained. Quick charging would be nice, but capacity is the real killer.

Wireless power–the true wireless power–is pretty close to commercialization. Maybe by 2020. I don’t know enough about the various methods to do more than ask the question, but isn’t commercial use contingent on a method that would not interfere with body implants? Pacemakers and such? I don’t know if resonant inductive coupling would, but WiTricity is making prototypes of true wireless power devices already.

I can’t wait for the day when I can put a lamp ANYWHERE IN MY HOUSE. And don’t get me started on home theater systems. Wi-Fi receiver in every speaker for higher quality sound than Bluetooth can provide, wireless power to each speaker so no cables needed, put a speaker anywhere you want. Boom.

• Reply 46 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apparently, almost everyone that wanted a tablet bought one and didn't see the need to buy a second one for several years.

Exactly. My iPad 2 is running just fine on iOS 8.1.1 and I have no need to replace it yet.

• Reply 47 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can’t see any device needing a curved display... Maybe a future Apple Watch, but otherwise. The roll-up idea is an extension thereof, but it would require a mechanism to retain stability when pulled out. If we consider those metamaterials that can retain their shape when an electric current is sent through them it’s a possibility, but requiring electricity to keep the shape stable would also imply much more powerful batteries.

I think that the next wave of true innovation is contingent on another huge leap in battery tech. Until we get batteries of the same size that can hold 4x or so the charge, we’re constrained. Quick charging would be nice, but capacity is the real killer.

Wireless power–the true wireless power–is pretty close to commercialization. Maybe by 2020. I don’t know enough about the various methods to do more than ask the question, but isn’t commercial use contingent on a method that would not interfere with body implants? Pacemakers and such? I don’t know if resonant inductive coupling would, but WiTricity is making prototypes of true wireless power devices already.

I can’t wait for the day when I can put a lamp ANYWHERE IN MY HOUSE. And don’t get me started on home theater systems. Wi-Fi receiver in every speaker for higher quality sound than Bluetooth can provide, wireless power to each speaker so no cables needed, put a speaker anywhere you want. Boom.

What about ultra-efficient wireless power that draws from the commercial white space radio signals? Or simply from wi-fi signals? At some point, something will be available that is able to turn all of those stray radio signals into power suitable for a real device. We are swimming in low-power radiation from all kinds of sources.

• Reply 48 of 88
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    There's no mystery here. The huge glut of sales only lasts as long as it takes for everyone that wants one, and can afford one, to discover they want one and then buy one.

No market grows perpetually. Any capitalist that behaves with such a belief (that increases can be perpetual) is a fool. Of course, that's most of Wall Street.

Don't worry, we poor pee pull are still working up to it. I'm slated to buy mine this week finally (after iOS 7 put me off last year).

In the mean time, I recommend slowing down new product releases and focusing on optimization of software and repair of the iOS 7 GUI stupidity to increase value and stop/reverse the slowly eroding reputation of iOS ...

See, anyone can be an analyst.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

My dad tried buying Android tablets even though I told him not to do it. They are ALL sitting in his closet right now.

People take to technology differently, I highly doubt the Android tablet was the problem. I bought my mother a MacBook Air a couple of years back and she never used, it wasn't until we got her a HP ChromeBook that she really started to use a computer, now she has an iPad, a smart phone and a Sony Z tablet for the bathtub. The main reason she took to the ChromeBook so well was that our entire family have ChromeBox's connected to our TV's to communicate and share media such as pictures and videos, she wanted in on the action. A person needs a reason to want too use something.

• Reply 50 of 88
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apparently, almost everyone that wanted a tablet bought one and didn't see the need to buy a second one for several years.

Right.  My household of 4 has 4 iPads, and more iPhones and iPod touches than we can use.  My personal iPad is the first retina model, but I don't feel compelled to get the latest iPad Air.

The one thing Apple has going for it is the holiday gift-giving season.  People look for ways to show how much they love/appreciate people so they buy them stuff they don't actually need.  I bet a huge percentage of the iPad sales in December will meet this criteria (at least in the US).

• Reply 51 of 88
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What about ultra-efficient wireless power that draws from the commercial white space radio signals? Or simply from wi-fi signals? At some point, something will be available that is able to turn all of those stray radio signals into power suitable for a real device. We are swimming in low-power radiation from all kinds of sources.

Just as long as it stay non-ionizing. Space-based microwave beaming, for example, sounds like a great idea, and the Japanese have been all up on the idea since the ‘80s, but something tells me that it wouldn’t be a good idea in the home. I don’t want the popcorn in my pantry going off when I’m not watching a movie.

• Reply 52 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Right.  My household of 4 has 4 iPads, and more iPhones and iPod touches than we can use.  My personal iPad is the first retina model, but I don't feel compelled to get the latest iPad Air.

The one thing Apple has going for it is the holiday gift-giving season.  People look for ways to show how much they love/appreciate people so they buy them stuff they don't actually need.  I bet a huge percentage of the iPad sales in December will meet this criteria (at least in the US).

Well this is fundamentally the issue, every iPad so far does exactly the same thing, just a bit better with every generation. 

• Reply 53 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

In the mean time, I recommend slowing down new product releases and focusing on optimization of software and repair of the iOS 7 GUI stupidity to increase value and stop/reverse the slowly eroding reputation of iOS ...

iOS 7 and 8 are gorgeous. The extremely dated look of iOS 6 on a Retina display is just nasty to look at.

• Reply 54 of 88
    The tablet market is iPad and everything else.
    I can see no reason not to buy an iPad when I buy a tablet. I see no advantage of buying crappier stuff for less money. Why buy it at all then? I use the iPad for all my travel and presentations. The Air stays home.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

I think this just might be signs that people are running out of new things to do with them. I bought a launch day iPad, and found instant new things to do with it. I've upgraded to a iPad mini, and it suits many of those needs. I also added a 13"MBA, and found it preferable to the iPad for many things. You just select the right device. Casual consumption of media is best on a tablet, but i just don't see a compelling need to move to the next iPad when they come out. I wait a few cycles, and only jump when I see a new use, or a compelling feature.

I will upgrade to iPhone 6 from my 5s as soon as I find a good deal; or if I can't find one before Apple Watch becomes available, perhaps wait another cycle. I see the NFC Apple Pay as useful and valuable (to me.)

But to most people, money IS an object, and thus they need to see value. How people see value in a surface or those other devices is beyond me. But then, the commenter explain grammas need to be in on the action does make some sense - you adopt device that give you the functionality that you desire. And of course, I understand no one wants to be grammas IT department. I do that now, and really - how many times do I need to explain how to left or right click? :-(

• Reply 56 of 88

Touch screen laptops will become a very big thing. Everybody who gets one likes them more than a regular laptop and doesn't want a regular laptop after that. These will also take sales away from iPads and tablets in general. 

Touch screen laptops don't need that extra appendage keyboard. Everything is built in. They are lightweight too. I've got one and love it. As time goes on more and more apps are being made to work with touch controls.

When Apple introduces its first laptop running iOS it will be a touch screen model. I doubt that Apple would care if their own touch screen laptop took sales from iPads. The problem they might have is pricing something superior to an iPad lower than a high memory capacity iPad. Those 128 GB iPads just cost a fortune. Putting that much memory into a touch screen laptop and pricing it in the seven-hundred dollar range would necessitate dropping the prices of iPads. Would you buy an Mac Book Air with a touch screen, an ARM processor, and running iOS for $1100?

• Reply 57 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

What will be the upgrade cycle for the Apple Watch?

• Reply 58 of 88

Remember when iPads use to be fun to use now there just all white and boring . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R41NNPBqRCk

• Reply 59 of 88
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Touch screen laptops will become a very big thing. Everybody who gets one likes them more than a regular laptop and doesn't want a regular laptop after that. These will also take sales away from iPads and tablets in general. 

Touch screen laptops don't need that extra appendage keyboard. Everything is built in. They are lightweight too. I've got one and love it. As time goes on more and more apps are being made to work with touch controls.

When Apple introduces its first laptop running iOS it will be a touch screen model. I doubt that Apple would care if their own touch screen laptop took sales from iPads. The problem they might have is pricing something superior to an iPad lower than a high memory capacity iPad. Those 128 GB iPads just cost a fortune. Putting that much memory into a touch screen laptop and pricing it in the seven-hundred dollar range would necessitate dropping the prices of iPads. Would you buy an Mac Book Air with a touch screen, an ARM processor, and running iOS for $1100?

A notebook without a keyboard is called a tablet, definition of a tablet as stated by Webster's; a small portable computer that accepts input directly on to its screen rather than via a keyboard or mouse. Though I do agree on some points, ever since I started using my Surface Pro 3, I know longer want a laptop that doesn't have a touchscreen. Most here will disagree with you though because Apple doesn't use touchscreen panels in their laptops, if Apple doesn't use them, it sucks. Once Apple starts using them it will become awesome and revolutionary.

• Reply 60 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Where do you live?  The numbers are for worldwide.  It's a different story in the US.  I don't see too many ipads when I travel to Asia or Europe.

Actually, the numbers are complete BS, as no one reports actual units sold except for Apple.  IDC makes up the numbers to make them match whatever their customers are paying them to look like.