Apple Watch website revamped with new UI and UX details

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    Everyone stop saying "crafted." The meme of the day is "bespoke" :lol:
  • Reply 42 of 71
    What I find scary is that I don't have an iPhone and I have no intention of getting an Apple Watch but looking at Apple's web site I started to want one. The power of advertising ...
  • Reply 43 of 71
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I somehow doubt that "complication" should be mentioned in connection with your consumer tech product. No matter what it's supposed to mean.

;)

I can't help but feel that Apple have thought of that already and decided that anyone who can afford one of these probably understands the difference between complications and complicated.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    slurpy wrote: »
    The state they're in? You mean the best mobile and desktop OSes that Apple has ever released? I haven't had a single issue with either Yosemite or iOS8, and they contain a metric shitload of new features. Apple can walk and chew gum at the same time. Or do you think if the Watch didn't exist, everything would be 100% bug free?
    Exactly, Yosemite is brilliant the first os since snow leopard that's got my vote, os 8 is also top. Both piss on what's left of the competition. The original comment is unfounded.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's bad.

As if you have detailed information from within Apple Corp about it's watch battery life.  If you do: name your sources ;-)

But say your rumours are correct?  It still begs the question.  Bad - as in what, how, why?

We're hearing that the watch might need to be charged every day.  That hardly matters because we'll put the watch on it's (bound-to-be-cool-looking) charger at our bedside - and squint blearily at it if we need to know the time in the middle of the night.  I don't think my life-style will be cramped too much by such pseudo-constraints on the utility/desirability of the product.  But then again, your mileage . . . ..

• Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Centuries? bah.

Our family timepiece has been around for millennia.

Meh... The Egyptians were putting together things like the Pyarmids and the Sphinx then....

Armadillos wearing pyjamas?

• Reply 47 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

You can get similar workmanship from a $160 diver's watch.

By definition, a diver's watch must be extremely well crafted to withstand the enormous pressures. A poorly made timepiece (crystal, back, crown, gaskets, strap, etc.) will fail.

I have a quartz chronograph rated for 100 meters, an automatic diver's watch rated for 200 meters. Both are extremely well crafted, yet one would expect them to be. The chronograph is over thirty years old and still has its original stainless steel wristband.

Sadly, many of today's American consumers no longer have the expectation or hope to purchase a well made wearable item that will last for years, if not decades. A great watch should last 2-4 years, it should last 2-4 decades, even longer. Just look at the forgettable poorly made garbage that people put on their feet and call "shoes."

I know I'm old-school in this regard, but I would prefer to wear an old watch on my wrist, not a new one. An old watch has more character and history than something that just came out of a box. Even if you are wearing a new suit and new shoes, the one piece of fashion that can be old is the wristwatch.

Many here seem to be wide-eyed surprised by the exacting finish and detailed craftsmanship of the Apple Watch. I'm not because that's how decent watches have been made for centuries. That's part of what Jonny was alluding to when he used the term "historical significance" during the prolonged design phase of the Apple Watch.

If you want to be stunned by a timepiece, go to a clock museum and look at something a hundred or two hundred years old.

Apple certainly isn't breaking any new ground in the physical design of their watch.

They're breaking new ground by actually not producing crap smart watch builds ;-). (yes, Im trying to be funny...).

• Reply 48 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Everyone stop saying "crafted." The meme of the day is "bespoke" image

I crafted a crafty bespoke watch meme and it went viral!! (sic)

• Reply 49 of 71

I'm hoping it will hook up with third-party GPS modules since it doesn't contain its own GPS chip.  I don't want to have to carry an iPhone all the time.  It's a minor gripe since I could simply wear an AppleWatch on one wrist and a Fenix 2 on the other.

• Reply 50 of 71
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Still not sure I need one but I certainly want one. :/
  • Reply 51 of 71
    What I find scary is that I don't have an iPhone and I have no intention of getting an Apple Watch but looking at Apple's web site I started to want one. The power of advertising ...

If marketing can do this to you just think of all the power pleasure you can get from using their products.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If marketing can do this to you just think of all the power pleasure you can get from using their products.

I know. I have an iMac, iPod touch and iPad Air and finances dictate that that's the way it's staying for now. I will console myself with Black Friday reductions on Touchpress's Vivaldi app :-)

• Reply 53 of 71
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

The new site does have a lot of new information on it. I'm really looking forward to having an Apple Watch; and to giving my wife one too. I see a lot of useful functions, lots of value.

I've worn a basic Timex watch for decades. I am very used to having the time on my wrist, and the rare occasions I forget it, I spend the day looking at my empty wrist and swearing The Timex was a $20 watch as a birthday gift from my wife 23 years ago. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It of course now has huge sentimental value. I do concur with the commenter about the value of an old watch. They do seem to have character. But fairly, I think Apple Watch will take that on.

There's lots of things Apple can do as it evolves. Perhaps offer guaranteed trade-in value on the Edition line. 

I do think eventually we will see on board GPS and Cell functions. Perhaps very limited at the start due to battery issues - perhaps only for 911 calls with location. I'm also curious to see how Apple Watch might integrate via BT4.0 onto devices other than iPhone. Perhaps Apple Airports will have BT4 added to them to link up via in home wifi?

• Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

The new site does have a lot of new information on it. I'm really looking forward to having an Apple Watch; and to giving my wife one too. I see a lot of useful functions, lots of value.

I've worn a basic Timex watch for decades. I am very used to having the time on my wrist, and the rare occasions I forget it, I spend the day looking at my empty wrist and swearing The Timex was a $20 watch as a birthday gift from my wife 23 years ago. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It of course now has huge sentimental value. I do concur with the commenter about the value of an old watch. They do seem to have character. But family, I think Apple Watch will take that on.

There's lots of things Apple can do as it evolves. Perhaps offer guaranteed trade-in value on the Edition line. 

I do think eventually we will see on board GPS and Cell functions. Perhaps very limited at the start due to battery issues - perhaps only for 911 calls with location. I'm also curious to see how Apple Watch might integrate via BT4.0 onto devices other than iPhone. Perhaps Apple Airports will have BT4 added to them to link up via in home wifi?

If I were you, I would douse your enthusiasm now, so as not to be too disappointed when it comes out.

• Reply 55 of 71
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

If I were you, I would douse your enthusiasm now, so as not to be too disappointed when it comes out.

I have never been disappointed by an Apple product, and I know I won't be by Apple Watch. Thanks for your insightful advice.

• Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Quote:

I have never been disappointed by an Apple product, and I know I won't be by Apple Watch. Thanks for your insightful advice.

Pleasure. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

• Reply 57 of 71

Pay no interest to him eight zero, he's got too much time on his hands and only one hand on the keyboard . . .

• Reply 58 of 71
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It's an iPhone dependent device. Prepare for the worse.
  • Reply 59 of 71

Did anyone else notice that it appears the center of the digital crown changes color to match the band?

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 60 of 71
    popinfresh wrote: »

Did anyone else notice that it appears the center of the digital crown changes color to match the band?

-PopinFRESH

Yes, but I only noticed it on ?Watch Edition.

edit: I just verified, ?Watch Sport is all silver, ?Watch is all black, and ?Watch Edition matches the band, save for the "38MM 18-KARAT ROSE GOLD CASE WITH ROSE GRAY MODERN BUCKLE" where they use black in the digital crown while the band is beige/tan.