Apple CEO Tim Cook to be namesake of Alabama anti-discrimination bill

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Following initial hesitation on the part of Apple, an Alabama state representative is moving forward with plans to name a proposed anti-discrimination bill after CEO Tim Cook after receiving full support from the company this week.

The only openly gay legislator in Alabama, state Representative Patricia Todd, is planning to attach Cook's name to a years-old bill introduced to ban discrimination against LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) teachers and state employees, reports Reuters. Todd has brought the issue to the floor multiple times, and will do so again next March.

Todd said the idea was hatched after Cook, an Alabama native, was inducted into the Alabama Academy of Honor. During his acceptance speech, Cook called for action on rights for the LGBT community, likening his home state's slow progress to the country's long struggle with racial and gender equality.

Just three days later, in an essay published by Bloomberg, Cook publicly announced that he is "proud to be gay." Though he is open about his sexuality with close ones and friends, Cook said coming out publicly was a difficult decision.

Todd told reporters that she would put Cook's name on her anti-discrimination document when Alabama legislative sessions begin next year. After hearing word of Todd's plan, it seemed Apple was not completely on board, as a company representative reached out to express concern over the matter. Todd agreed to drop Cook's name, but was ultimately given the green light this week.

"Tim was honored to hear that State Rep. Todd wanted to name an antidiscrimination bill after him, and we're sorry if there was any miscommunication about it. We have a long history of support for LGBT rights and we hope every state will embrace workplace equality for all," Apple said in a prepared statement.

Local publication AL.com separately reported that Apple legal chief Bruce Sewell made the call himself.

"He apologized profusely and said there was an employee that was trying to protect Apple from controversy," Todd said. "He said 'I'm here to assure you we support this 100 percent."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Good! I am happy for that!
  • Reply 2 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The world will unquestionably be a better place. Thanks for thinking different, TC.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    I only hope that the bill can bring about real change in Alabama, which sorely needs to become more tolerant.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The world will unquestionably be a better place. Thanks for thinking different, TC.

Thinking different? As opposed to the thousands of other that have come out?

• Reply 5 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The thousands of other CEOs of Fortune 500 companies?
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm View Post

I only hope that the bill can bring about real change in Alabama, which sorely needs to become more tolerant.

Tolerant is not the word.

Intelligent, is the word. We live in an age of science reasoning. 

Tolerant sounds patronising. I have n o right in dictating how anyones should live their live.

What is liberty after all?

• Reply 7 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

He'll be chuffed about that. I'm sure he wants to go down in history as much as possible for those kind of efforts (remember who his heroes are).

• Reply 8 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How do you determine that someone was discriminated against because of their sexual orientation? it's not like when you apply for a job you check a box saying you're gay. I don't know how anyone can prove they weren't hired for a job because they are gay.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How do you determine that someone was discriminated against because of their sexual orientation? it's not like when you apply for a job you check a box saying you're gay. I don't know how anyone can prove they weren't hired for a job because they are gay.

I had a friend who was gay and was not hired by the company.What is this called?

• Reply 10 of 48
    marvfox wrote: »

I had a friend who was gay and was not hired by the company.What is this called?

How do you know he/she was not hired because he/she was gay? Did the employer say sorry I'm not hiring you because of your sexual orientation? How would the employer even know what their sexual orientation was?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Tolerant sounds patronising. I have n o right in dictating how anyones should live their live.

I agree with you, but human populations tend not to change in sudden jumps. Reaching a place of general tolerance is needed before we can go beyond it.

• Reply 12 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    ochyming wrote: »

Without seeing the language of the bill, I don't know if I support it or not, but I wouldn't associate the word "liberty" to this under any circumstances. Having the government force a person to hire someone who they otherwise would choose not to hire (perhaps for odious reasons), is not liberty. One could be in favor of this for other good reasons, but not for that one (without completely distorting the meaning of the word).
  • Reply 13 of 48
    malax wrote: »
    Without seeing the language of the bill, I don't know if I support it or not, but I wouldn't associate the word "liberty" to this under any circumstances. Having the government force a person to hire someone who they otherwise would choose not to hire (perhaps for odious reasons), is not liberty. One could be in favor of this for other good reasons, but not for that one (without completely distorting the meaning of the word).

How is a law like this enforced? How does someone prove they were not hired because of their sexual preference?
  • Reply 14 of 48
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    rogifan wrote: »
    The same ways that members of other discriminated classes of persons obtain remedies. Evidence. It's generally very difficult to prove, but habitual employer discriminators ultimately leave a trail. How is it that Bill Cosby may ultimately face civil or criminal actions for his alleged conduct, although his supposed acts were successfully suppressed from public awareness for many years?
  • Reply 15 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Thinking different? As opposed to the thousands of other that have come out?
    This is not just about somebody coming out, as I am sure you are aware.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The thousands of other CEOs of Fortune 500 companies?

I really hope you're exaggerating. You do realize that the Fortune 500 would only have 500 CEO's, right?

I love the people crying for tolerance. Tolerance in this case evidently equals "You believe what I do or you're wrong and intolerant".

• Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I really hope you're exaggerating. You do realize that the Fortune 500 would only have 500 CEO's, right?

I love the people crying for tolerance. Tolerance in this case evidently equals "You believe what I do or you're wrong and intolerant".

Tolerance means not being a douchebag because someone was born different or has a different culture.

For example, you,  Apple ][, Spam Sandwich, and Rogifan are social conservatives, but we tolerate you here, and want you to feel comfortable with your feeling that white men are victimized whenever some "other" wants a level playing field.  

I don't ask to get you guys banned because you think differently, and act like there's no problem with banning you.

• Reply 19 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I think you missed my point. Consider what I was responding to.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Free will is an illusion. Once being gay is considered normal, we will find any number of traits to discriminate societally. That's what human beings and other living organisms do. It's why you love one person vs another... You discriminated. It's why you like one charity vs another, one religion vs another, one chapter of the bible vs another, one caste vs another. The human race has always liked to discriminate en masse like a hive mind. Iphone vs android, mac vs pc, best buy vs circuit city. It is a primary function of the human brain to discriminate (between a mother's face and a stranger's face for example). All you can do is be trained by to reduce you discrimination threshold. I said free will is an illusion but that's not to say external environments (training) cannot condition your subconscious impulses.

Tolerance can only begin to occur when you notice your personal prejudices and if some change in your circumstances cause those prejudices to change.
    If however, a chinese man murders my family, odds are that my prejudice against the next chinese guy I see may actually be amplified. A civilization will get the prejudices against it that it deserves generally speaking. I dont have enough space in my brain to catalogue the behaviors of every human being, so my brain lumps groups of people into catergories for expediency.

The human condition is very strange indeed. We are the way we are because it was required to make it to where we are and to handle the circimstances we are in. Don't get to prejudiced against the prejudiced, since you are also prejudiced.