Apple Campus 2 to boast $161M auditorium, $74M fitness facility

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Newly unearthed building permits discovered this week reveal a bit more about Apple's plans for its Campus 2 facility, with the company earmarking $161 million for an auditorium and $74 million for an employee gym.

As noted by BuildZoom, Apple will pay $160,999,985 on a theater to be installed on the company's Campus 2 compound currently under construction in Cupertino, Calif.

The auditorium was previously detailed in project plans as being a massive 120,000-square-foot underground "assembly space" with seating for 1,000, a large lobby, restrooms and back-of-the-house facilities including a catering kitchen. Visitors will be served by 350 parking stalls in the above-grade North Tantau parking structure.

Also found in publicly available permits are plans for a $74 million gym facility, revealed in project revisions to be a 100,000-square-foot building located to the northwest of Campus 2's main "spaceship" structure. It will feature a number of amenities, including changing rooms, showers, laundry, gym equipment, multi-purpose rooms for group sessions.

Apple's $5 billion Campus 2 was pitched to the Cupertino City Council by late cofounder Steve Jobs in 2011, noting that the enormous main structure would house 12,000 employees. The build is well underway and CEO Tim Cook expects to move in by 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    So ... will their gym be better than the local Y? ;)
  • Reply 2 of 23
    They're building a $74 million gym?

Hoo, I didn't know that Woz was going back to work at Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Wish I was an employee at Apple. It seems like this new building is going to be a cool place to work and play.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    They're building a $74 million gym?

Hoo, I didn't know that Woz was going back to work at Apple.

That's actually normal for a Gym this big. My alma mater renovated the university gym for $23 millions back in 2004 from donations.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I'm so sick of these exaggerated click-bait headlines.  It's not a "$161M" auditorium, the exhibit (and the text of the article) clearly show that this was overstated--for sensationalist effect--by $15.  That's more than the cost of an iTunes album.

• Reply 6 of 23

Why do I suspect that the ultimate mailing address for the spaceship will not be 19111 Pruneridge Avenue?  Appleridge maybe...

• Reply 7 of 23
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Why do I suspect that the ultimate mailing address for the spaceship will not be 19111 Pruneridge Avenue?  Appleridge maybe...

I keep saying, it’s 1 Infinite Loop... They’ll rename the old buildings.

• Reply 8 of 23

I can see that, as the building is now a circle, but I would like to see another fun address name; if not for the new building for the old building if the old address moves.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I can see that, as the building is now a circle, but I would like to see another fun address name; if not for the new building for the old building if the old address moves.

How about... Circle Circle, or infinite Drive, or Steve Jobs Lane?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Infinite Improbability Drive.

Anybody who recognises this reference has a Heart of Gold.

Either that, or they just worked it out using an Atomic Vector Plotter.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Douglas Adams was a big Apple fan (and maybe had some relationship with Apple in some way?), so that would be appropriate/cool.

• Reply 12 of 23
    gtr wrote: »

Hardbound copy on the top shelf. Right near Einstein: The Life and Times, Clark, Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco, and The Satanic Verses -- Salman Rushdie.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

I like to see a time lapse video of the changes in Maps:

Unfortunately I only found one for the Microsoft campus:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 14 of 23
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Why do I suspect that the ultimate mailing address for the spaceship will not be 19111 Pruneridge Avenue?  Appleridge maybe...</span>

I'm amazed how Apple ever think they'll be able to move out of their infinite loop. Perhaps they'll be able to distort reality. ????
  • Reply 15 of 23

Loopy.
  • Reply 16 of 23

I don't think I get your link, but there's a good song by Jonny Hates Jazz called Heart of Gold.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    malax wrote: »

Douglas Adams was a big Apple fan (and maybe had some relationship with Apple in some way?), so that would be appropriate/cool.

Fair point.

I can see how if Douglas Adams was a big fan, that it would be cool. That's what fans are for.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    This is depressing. Investing that much in California real estate ranks in folly up there with getting involved in a "land war in Asia."

Eventually, the state's politicians will see only one way out of their budget difficulties, taxing their goose that lays golden eggs%u2014Silicon Valley high-tech. The state's agriculture has been crushed by environmentalists and drought. The only other industry in the state with deep pockets%u2014Hollywood%u2014is already moving production out of state. These pricey buildings with their costly amenities will make it hard for Apple to move anywhere.

Apple hasn't learned that in today's world you have to be as flexible about where you do design as you are about production and assembly.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    inkling wrote: »
    This is depressing. Investing that much in California real estate ranks in folly up there with getting involved in a "land war in Asia."

Eventually, the state's politicians will see only one way out of their budget difficulties, taxing their goose that lays golden eggs%u2014Silicon Valley high-tech. The state's agriculture has been crushed by environmentalists and drought. The only other industry in the state with deep pockets%u2014Hollywood%u2014is already moving production out of state. These pricey buildings with their costly amenities will make it hard for Apple to move anywhere.

Apple hasn't learned that in today's world you have to be as flexible about where you do design as you are about production and assembly.

As I've said before, I'd rather Apple bought their own country and operated free of political and economic interference entirely.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

$161,000 per seat for the auditorium?   That does seem excessive.   On the other hand, at 120,000 square feet, that's $1341 per square foot, which if a NYC fancy apartment building, sound about right. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm amazed how Apple ever think they'll be able to move out of their infinite loop. Perhaps they'll be able to distort reality. ????

I don't think they are.  My understanding is that they're keeping the old campus.   What will be eliminated are all the ancillary leases they have in odd buildings throughout the area.