iPhone 6 rivals by Samsung, LG, HTC suffering delays in Qualcomm's 64-bit Snapdragon answer to Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 134
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Go boil your head, Frost.

• Reply 82 of 134
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    crowley wrote: »
    Either way, stop trying to show off.

Showing off what? A common Latin term that's shorter than the English equivalent? These aren't spells learned at Hogwarts so you needn't be scared.

Una lingua numquam satis est. Now that is showing off.
  • Reply 83 of 134
    Go boil your head, Frost.

That sounds like an ad hominem personal attack.
  • Reply 84 of 134

I'm aware it's Latin thanks, I learnt in in my first economics class 13 years ago, and promptly left it there as ridiculous, pompous, exclusionist jargon that has perfectly serviceable english equivalents that readers can understand.  This isn't an economics or Latin thread, so leave it out.

• Reply 85 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Not at all.  It's an appropriate instruction to someone who I don't like or respect.

• Reply 86 of 134
    I'm aware it's Latin thanks, I learnt in in my first economics class 13 years ago, and promptly left it there as ridiculous, pompous, exclusionist jargon that has perfectly serviceable english equivalents that readers can understand.  This isn't an economics or Latin thread, so leave it out.

So we're to leave out all parts of wonderful English lexicon that didn't originate with English. Good luck with that.
  • Reply 87 of 134
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Non certe.

It's been a long time since my one semester of Latin, but I remember it as quod certe non.
  • Reply 88 of 134

He erroneously omitted the 'of cabbage' part. :lol:
  • Reply 89 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

So we're to leave out all parts of wonderful English lexicon that didn't originate with English. Good luck with that.

Didn't say that.  Said stop showing off.  Ceteris paribus is not a common phrase outside of economics, nor a particularly interesting one, since it's easily phrased in english.

If you're speaking/writing in english and an english equivalent exists for the uncommon non-english phrase you're tempted to use, then use it.  Else, you're indulging in literary look-at-me-ism.

• Reply 90 of 134

Didn't say that.  Said stop showing off.  Ceteris paribus is not a common phrase outside of economics, nor a particularly interesting one, since it's easily phrased in english.

If you're speaking/writing in english and an english equivalent exists for the uncommon non-english phrase you're tempted to use, then use it.  Else, you're indulging in literary look-at-me-ism.

1) It is.

2) What Latin phrase isn't easily stated in English?

3) I love who you're choosing which words and phrases can and can't be used in English simply because you're either not familiar nor comfortable with them. You must hate Shakespeare.

4) I'm off to the cinema er, theater, big room to watch moving pictures whilst while and eat corn that has since inverted due to extreme internal pressure.
  • Reply 91 of 134

Ceteris paribus is common in your average, everyday lexicon?  No it isn't.  Phrases that a show-off italicises generally aren't.  Nice try.

Both familiar and comfortable thanks, and was at The Globe last month.  But again, nice try.

Most Latin phrases are easily stated in English.  This is true.  Ergo, don't use Latin phrases unless you want to look like a douche.  It's a dead language. Yes, I realise ergo is French, it's satire.

• Reply 92 of 134
    Ergo, don't use Latin phrases unless you want to look like a douche.  It's a dead language. Yes, I realise ergo is French, it's satire.

Nope, it's from Latin which makes it ironic, ignorant, hypocritical, and fucking hilarious.
  • Reply 93 of 134

Ironic I'll take, it's a bit ironic.

Ignorant I'll also take, though actually I do know it's Latin, not really sure I was thinking.

Hypocritical, not sure how that follows.

Fucking hilarious, whatever floats your boat.

Never claimed to be perfect.

• Reply 94 of 134
    IHypocritical, not sure how that follows.

You said not to use Latin words and then went on to use a Latin word yourself.
  • Reply 95 of 134

Sounds as though someone needs to brush up on their latin, rather than descend into silly temper tantrums.
  • Reply 96 of 134
    Ceteris paribus is common in your average, everyday lexicon?  No it isn't.  Phrases that a show-off italicises generally aren't.  Nice try.

Both familiar and comfortable thanks, and was at The Globe last month.  But again, nice try.

Most Latin phrases are easily stated in English.  This is true.  Ergo, don't use Latin phrases unless you want to look like a douche.  It's a dead language. [SIZE=1px]Yes, I realise ergo is French, it's satire.[/SIZE]

You do realise you've just used a Latin word?

Too funny! ????
  • Reply 97 of 134
    Sounds as though someone needs to brush up on their latin, rather than descend into silly temper tantrums.

Add salt to the water so it boils faster. :lol:
  • Reply 98 of 134
    You said not to use Latin words and then went on to use a Latin word yourself.
    Hence satire.
  • Reply 99 of 134
    Ergo, don't use Latin phrases unless you want to look like a douche.  It's a dead language. Yes, I realise ergo is French, it's satire.

Nope, it's from Latin which makes it ironic, ignorant, hypocritical, and fucking hilarious.

I see you got there first.

What a wonderful example of a pot and a kettle has been demonstrated by Crowley!

Quod erat demonstrandum.
  • Reply 100 of 134
    See earlier post Frost.