Tim Cook meets with Rev. Jesse Jackson to discuss corporate diversity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Silicon Valley in general is doing pretty poorly with attracting diverse talent. (and dont get me started with how poor engineering remains at attracting women).

And? Maybe they don’t want to do it.

The income gap between the top and the bottom is out of control, and we need to be open and honest about how to resolve that.

You resolve it by stopping the delusion.

All of us on six figure salaries, who can afford a million dollars for a 3 bedroom family home need to acknowledge that our livelihoods are not sustainable if we don't have manual laborers to do the support jobs that we do depend on, who are able to live in the area.

Of course you can. They’re called robots and they’re inevitable.

Ignoring this ever growing problem is going to make our livelihoods unsustainable, and again, having someone of Cooks stature play a part in attempting to resolve the problems is significantly better than civic and business leaders trying to ignore the problem and hope it will go away.

Nothing he’s doing here will change any of that.

• Reply 22 of 76

Ai must have needed a few more clicks.

This article should get the job done.

lol

• Reply 23 of 76
    Much as I am offended and saddened by the likes of Jackson and Sharpton, their tactics, and their role in public discourse, it is even more offensive and sad to see the level of bigotry that pops up here on the AI boards every time there's a story involving a black person, a poor country, Obama, gays, or women.

And it's the same list of posters that pops up every single time. Everyone knows who they are....

Figure out a way to deal with this, AI. Otherwise your site runs the risk of getting hijacked -- and ultimately, destroyed -- by a bunch of cultural and political zealots.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Ai must have needed a few more clicks.

This article should get the job done.

lol

Except, it's going to come at a cost....
  • Reply 25 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

...Though I feel that Sharpton and Jackson are a bit more Ayn Rand when it comes to making money from race.

What? This is about as far from Ayn Rand as one can get.

• Reply 26 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Much as I am offended and saddened by the likes of Jackson and Sharpton, their tactics, and their role in public discourse, it is even more offensive and sad to see the level of bigotry that pops up here on the AI boards every time there's a story involving a black person, a poor country, Obama, gays, or women.

And it's the same list of posters that pops up every single time. Everyone knows who they are....

Figure out a way to deal with this, AI. Otherwise your site runs the risk of getting hijacked -- and ultimately, destroyed -- by a bunch of cultural and political zealots.

However, no one here has posting anything of the sort in this case. Even cursory familiarity with Jackson and his organization will reveal a self-serving machine that blatantly approaches large, moneyed companies with claims of racism looking for a payout...and they usually get one!

UPDATE:  Well, maybe Apple ]['s comments would fit your description... but that's it! :\

• Reply 27 of 76

one of the things i've always liked about apple (under steve jobs) is that they avoided politics. i realize that tim cook is no steve jobs, but he seems to be allowing apple to get dragged into more and more politics and special interests. now he's getting mixed up in the brewing race relations turmoil in the u.s.? don't ruin apple's image by associating with race baiters tim.

• Reply 28 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I agree with you. Gay people and minorities are given much more slack in terms of what they can say and do. It's not about the content of the message, it's more about who is saying it that counts with many people.

Maybe I should turn gay, and I'll also get a suntan to make me look more like a minority, and then certain people on this forum would no longer be allowed to be outraged by anything that I say.:smokey:  

And how the hell would we know you're tan? :lol:
  • Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mswift801 View Post

one of the things i've always liked about apple (under steve jobs) is that they avoided politics. i realize that tim cook is no steve jobs, but he seems to be allowing apple to get dragged into more and more politics and special interests. now he's getting mixed up in the brewing race relations turmoil in the u.s.? don't ruin apple's image by associating with race baiters tim.

This is a case where "the previous guy in charge" would've absolutely fired the complaining company along with their security guards. No one should ever feel emboldened to threaten Apple as has happened here. It won't take much until every special interest group under the sun believes they have a claim they can lay against Apple.

Stop this before it goes too far, Tim. Next thing you know, it'll be watchless people demanding free Apple Watches.

• Reply 30 of 76

However, no one here has posting anything of the sort in this case.

I am not surprised that you wouldn't think that anyone here has.
  • Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:

I am not surprised that you wouldn't think that anyone here has.

I amended that, check the comment again.

• Reply 32 of 76
    Apples diversity already surpasses the diversity of the general population in terms of minority representation. There is slightly more male than female representation, but that could be due to the industry they are in. Talking to Jesse Jackson about diversity is total garbage. He doesn't want diversity, and he doesn't care about any minority group except black men. He wants black male domination. He is part of the problem, not the solution.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

What bigotry? Jesse Jackson is a WELL KNOWN race-baiter that uses any and all means to advance his racist agenda. If you don't meet with Jackson (or Sharpton for that matter) they demonize you to anyone and everyone who will listen as a bigot and a racist until they get their way. It's sad really. Jackson likes to claim he's doing this in the name of "Inclusiveness" when all he's really doing is using racial-polarization & hate-speech to further his own ends.

• Reply 34 of 76
    Thanks for the most sensible reply in this thread. If I said what I wanted to say, I'm sure it would be too much. Thanks again.
  • Reply 35 of 76

I am a total Apple person, but this is sick sick sick and Steve would not approve. Tim you are pushing too far, coo your jets  

• Reply 36 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

What bigotry? Jesse Jackson is a WELL KNOWN race-baiter that uses any and all means to advance his racist agenda. If you don't meet with Jackson (or Sharpton for that matter) they demonize you to anyone and everyone who will listen as a bigot and a racist until they get their way. It's sad really. Jackson likes to claim he's doing this in the name of "Inclusiveness" when all he's really doing is using racial-polarization & hate-speech to further his own ends.

In order gain any credibility on this, you are going to have to cite credible sources that appear to both support and reject your assertions, because it is already clear that Apple and Tim Cook do not view Jackson as you do. And as far as this discussion is concerned, your claims only serve to throw more dirt on what is already a clouded issue. If what you say is "WELL KNOWN," then it shouldn't be too hard for you to find credible arguments that support and oppose what you say. If clarity is what you want to create, present views representing both sides of the issue.

Jackson has already met and had a discussion with the CEO of Apple, and so it would appear that Jackson's own credibility--one way or the other--is not a foregone conclusion as you would have us think and believe.
  • Reply 37 of 76

This is how it all starts, meet with the devel, make a deal and it all goes down hill.  Tim, Steve would never do this, be careful, this is a slippery slope that goes nowhere.

Sad for you and sad for Apple that has come so so far.  Please don't take them down.

:(

• Reply 38 of 76
    canukstorm wrote: »
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/183806/tim-cook-meets-with-rev-jesse-jackson-to-discuss-corporate-diversity#post_2649827"]

It is very weak of Apple to meet with Jackson and his group that is up to no good.

Who's Apple going to meet with next? The KKK? 
    Louis Farakhan.

And Nazis. And Satanists.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    mswift801 wrote: »

Too late.

Politics is Cook's meat and potatoes.

I think Tim must be jealous of Android. I can't see why else he would wish to foment such mindless discrimination by cooking up his very own toxic hell-stew.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    Thanks for the most sensible reply in this thread. If I said what I wanted to say, I'm sure it would be too much. Thanks again.

It's a pleasure.

I generally try to write sensible replies.