Time's Person of the Year honor goes to 'the Ebola fighters,' not Apple CEO Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    These MDs have huge earning potential at US clinics, but instead volunteer to risk their lives to save poor people.  I would say thats pretty cool.

It's also a learning experience. That’s why Cuba has the best doctors, because they go to every hell hole catastrophe the world over.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Is TIME even relevant anymore? Who wants to read last week's news when nowadays, anyone can easily get up to the minute news any time they want.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

More to show how the US version is being whitewashed for the purpose of an agenda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

first openly homosexual CEO in the Fortune 100 is definitely a newsworthy and important thing. being gay is still a crime and a fireable offense in the south. additionally, he's managed to create the biggest US corporation while doing so. this is a huge thing for all of those closeted gay office workers who fear coming out. becoming a successful role model is an important and admirable thing.

get your head out of the sand.

Being gay is not a crime in the South.   Some States do still have laws against sodomy, but they're not enforced.    And while we don't yet have a national law against firing gay employees and 29 States don't have laws explicitly banning the firing of gay employees because of their sexual orientation, according to Snopes:

"While the twenty-nine states...may currently lack statewide laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, it is not true that all employers in all of those states may freely fire employees "for being gay." Some of those red states have laws which protect public (i.e., government) employees from sexual orientation discrimination (but not those who work in the private sector), some of those states have laws passed at county or city levels which protect employees in those local areas from such discrimination, and some of those states protect public employees from employment discrimination through means other than laws (e.g., executive orders, administrative orders, personnel regulations). 

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/firedforbeinggay.asp#TV8Tlshasi0x7oed.99"

• Reply 64 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

nope. in a nation where a large percentage of the voters hate homosexuals, where states have criminalized homosexual sex or banned civil rights to homosexuals, where politicians have called for homosexuals to be criminalized, and where you can be legally fired, not to mention dragged out & killed by dumbasses for being homosexual, it's actually a pretty big deal for the leader of the most successful US corporation to announce that he's homosexual.

one day it wont be that way, but that day isnt yet today. stop pretending. 

Good points, NolaMacGuy, except that Apple is by many measures the most successful corporation in the world, not just the US. And let's not forget that there are now countries which TC cannot visit, either because they ban gay travelers, or because they can legally KILL THEM.  Yes, stoning does still occur.  Along with many other evil acts. And many parts of the world consider themselves civilized, nonetheless--and want to buy Apple products.  His outing is a major event, and can only help fight ignorance.

• Reply 65 of 89
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Yes, stoning does still occur.  

Hanging is also a preferred method in certain places.

• Reply 66 of 89
    apple ][ wrote: »

Nothing beats the guillotine.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

With the way that France is heading, I could see them bringing that back sometime in the future.

• Reply 68 of 89

In more ways than one.

What I don’t get is why they can’t just use whatever drug puts animals down in human executions.

• Reply 69 of 89
    In more ways than one.

What I don’t get is why they can’t just use whatever drug puts animals down in human executions.

You mean the lead pill that gets administered by firearm? :lol: Jokes aside, that's actually a good question.
  • Reply 70 of 89

You mean the lead pill that gets administered by firearm? image That's actually a good question.

I should’ve known you’d be literal.

What I don’t get is why they can’t just use whatever drug puts pets down in human executions.

Though firing squad is just about as effective as a guillotine. Blah blah, “guilt of shooting a guy so they only have one gun randomly loaded”; if you have a problem killing, say, a serial child rapist, what are you even DOING on a firing squad in the first place?

• Reply 71 of 89

With the way that France is heading, I could see them bringing that back sometime in the future.

We should have it here. It's a quick, and sure death. Not like the poor guy whose execution took 1 1/2 hours. That's cruel and unusual punishment.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    I should’ve known you’d be literal.

What I don’t get is why they can’t just use whatever drug puts pets down in human executions.

Though firing squad is just about as effective as a guillotine. Blah blah, “guilt of shooting a guy so they only have one gun randomly loaded<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">”; if you have a problem killing, say, a serial child rapist, what are </span>
    you<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;"> even DOING on a firing squad in the first place?</span>

I know what you meant, and said it was a good question. I edited my post to make it more obvious that I was referring to your question.
  • Reply 73 of 89

I'm not surprised that Cook didn't get it.  iOS 8 is bug-ridden, and Cook is off having rainbow lunches with Jesse Jackson?  Irresponsible.

• Reply 74 of 89
    Person of the Year

Duh, Time. This is as daft as the whole of the EU being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
  • Reply 75 of 89

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Yes, stoning does still occur.  </span>

Do they still draw and quarter anywhere, I wonder?
  • Reply 76 of 89
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'm pretty sure Tim couldn't give less of a shit. Doesn't strike me as the type clamouring to get his face on a magazine. At the end, whatever public endeavours he does, he believes to be in the best interests of Apple as a company, not to stoke his ego.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

EBola hasn't been conquered yet but the Democratic Party has - the American voter should have won as Republicans have been tsunamied into Congress releasing the nation's chokehold.

Please **** off with your political horse-shit. Your opinion isn't important, intelligent, or insightful enough to derail a thread for. Noone gives a shit about your political inclination, especially if it's as poorly thought out and articulated as all your other opinions.  Amazing how you manage to be off-topic in every single thread that you post in. Also amazing how you haven't been banned, being the grotesque, vile, and mind-numbing troll that you are. 

But yeah, everything will be fucking dandy now that Republicans control Congress. What a genius you are. 

• Reply 78 of 89
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    "spurned"? This choice of word is an all-time low from AI...

I have to agree.

But since three people cringed about their poor attempt to add a little forum fight sizzle to the story, then it earned them a couple of clicks at least.

I miss journalism. Just so hard to find it these days. :no:
  • Reply 79 of 89
    rayz wrote: »
    "spurned"? This choice of word is an all-time low from AI...

I have to agree.

But since three people cringed about their poor attempt to add a little forum fight sizzle to the story, then it earned them a couple of clicks at least.

I miss journalism. Just so hard to find it these days. :no:

Go to your local newsagent and you'll find a selection of newspapers filled with journalism.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    malax wrote: »
    Agreed.  But AI characterizing this as Cook being "spurned" is absurd.  Oftentimes the person of the year is news-making tyrant (e.g., Hitler and Stalin (twice)).  It's not a popularity contest.
    Agreed. On a related note, it's absurd that Osama Bin Laden didn't "win" in 2001.