Most money managers bungled Apple stock in 2014, missing out on huge gains

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited February 2015
Following a disappointing 2013, most professional investors decided to pass on Apple this year, and as a result missed out on one of 2014's biggest success stories on Wall Street.

Money managers who missed out on Apple's gains this year were highlighted as one of the worst blunders in finance in 2014 by Bloomberg. Shares of Apple rose four times more than the Standard & Poor's 500 Index this year, but professional investors who stayed on the sidelines are now behind on benchmark indexes by the most in almost a decade.

Institutional investors opted to stay out of AAPL stock in 2014 after the company trailed the market in 2013 by its greatest level this century. Investors predicted the trend would continue this year, and that Apple's growth would stagnate.

Instead, Apple saw significant growth throughout the year of the iPhone platform internationally. The company then followed up with strong Mac sales, a blockbuster launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and the heavily hyped unveiling of the Apple Watch.

Bloomberg noted that among the 278 funds benchmarked to the S&P 500 and with at least $500 million in assets, only a fifth hold shares more than their representations in the index.

Shares of Apple have been on the upswing since late April, when the company beat estimates with $10.2 billion in profits on sales of 43.7 million iPhones. Then the company blew away expectations in October, earning $8.5 billion in profit on sales of 39 million iPhones and 5.5 million Macs.

Following Apple's blockbuster September quarter, Wall Street analysts began revising their estimates higher, helping push shares of AAPL to new all-time highs this fall. Investors have been looking to buy in to the company ahead of the conclusion of its December quarter, which is expected to set new records for iPhone sales in the face of overwhelming demand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I manage my own money and didn't miss out at all!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Those "pros" must have listened to the "pro" analysts. What a bunch of out of touch fools!

The average hedge fund didn't even make over 10% for their return last year, not even close to it.

Many amateurs have done far better than that.

• Reply 3 of 32
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Those "pros" must have listened to the "pro" analysts. What a bunch of out of touch fools!

The average hedge fund didn't even make over 10% for their return last year, not even close to it.

Many amateurs have done far better than that.

I think amateurs will take more "risk" on a stock.  A fund manager does that and a whole bunch of people will rain down the hate.  Of course, if the manager was right, they would be considered a genius and visionary.  There is no real winning for them.

There are some people on here I would more trust with my 401K than the company that currently holds it.  Would be worth a lot more right now for sure.

• Reply 4 of 32
    They're all PC guys, and just don't want to admit, Apple is still not going to die... I could care less, it's comedy...
  • Reply 5 of 32
    rezwits wrote: »
    They're all PC guys, and just don't want to admit, Apple is still not going to die... I could care less, it's comedy...

Yes to the idea. No to the words. If you could care less, then you care. What you mean is "I could not care less."

No charge for this complimentary service. It is the pleasure of Grama Nadzee Inc.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

At 108 AAPL has fallen from its 52 week high.  That must be pleasing the money managers quite a bit.  Too bad the dip isn't going to last very long.  Too bad for them, that is.  Too good for me/us.

• Reply 7 of 32

Most money managers bungled stock picks in 2014, missing out on huge gains

Fixed that for you. The truth is that actively managed funds are trailing indexes by a large margin in the last few years. Letting it ride on a large basket lowered your risk and broadened the exposure to gains in this continued bull market. They probably would have done much better by betting all on AAPL, of course, but no one can make predictions especially about the future!

• Reply 8 of 32
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

The bigger problem is what is happening right now. AAPL should still be going up but the market won't let. Between end of year positioning to the drop in oil, everyone has a reason for why AAPL is dropping but the biggest reason is that Wall Street hates Apple and they want to punish them, at least when they don't have any holdings with them.

• Reply 9 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Yup. Count my financial advisor as one of them. Kept "advising" me to dump all the stock @ $400.

Fucking idiot.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yup. Count my financial advisor as one of them. Kept "advising" me to dump all the stock @ $400.

Fucking idiot.

Here's some free advice, dump your financial advisor. ;-)
  • Reply 11 of 32
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Wall Street doesn't hate AAPL as much as it once did because Tim Cook started playing nice. The buyback and stock split were big catalysts long before iPhone 6 and Apple Pay saw the light of day.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I think amateurs will take more "risk" on a stock.  

Not necessarily. A blindfolded monkey could have made 13.5% just buying an S&P 500 index last year (11.6% capital gain + 1.9% dividend yield).

What proportion of active money managers do you think beat that number?

• Reply 13 of 32

Bloomberg floating a positive story about Apple? I guess these scumbags are worried the stock is oversold now.

• Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Wall Street doesn't hate AAPL as much as it once did because Tim Cook started playing nice. The buyback and stock split were big catalysts long before iPhone 6 and Apple Pay saw the light of day.

Hate doesn't factor into any decisions. W$ investors are solely about making a profit.

• Reply 15 of 32
    Short term tock price of AAPL (and most powerful companies) has less to do with the company and more to do with the market. If you want to make money on a solid company like Apple, immerse yourself in it like many who post here do. Then invest for the long haul. You make the big money over decades, not day trading.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    As I recall, a big part of the tanking of Apple Stock were these same institutional investors. Not sure the stock benefits from this class of investor, who run programs that auto dump good stocks. They are NOT long term investors, even Carl Icahnn is a much better investor for Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hate doesn't factor into any decisions. W$ investors are solely about making a profit.

I beg to differ but if AAPL doesn't play ball with W$, like the special dividend it didn't offer in 2012 that most companies did offer, or like the buybacks and the dividend increases at the behest of Carl Icahn AAPL proffered in 2014, W$ will cut you off at the knees -- exactly like it did in to AAPL in 2013. W$ hated AAPL until Tim Cook stopped acting like Steve Jobs and began following Carl Ichan's advice.

• Reply 18 of 32
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

That's because money managers don't really have enough intellectual resources (nobody does) to do real due diligence on all the stocks they invest in.  So they rely on rule of thumbs mostly based on reversion to the mean. "It can't rise or fall that far that long, must be due for a correction."  Thus they all convinced themselves and each other that Apple was artificially high and due for a fall.  And yes their self-fulfilling prophesy would hold for a while as they bail on the stock, but it can't defy the actual market and financial performance that long.  THERE REALLY WAS NO REASON, OTHER THAN FEAR OF ONE'S OWN SHADOW, FOR ANYONE TO CONCLUDE THAT APPLE STOCK WAS DUE FOR A FALL.  I am saying it in all caps because that's how strongly I feel about it.  Meanwhile, let us all frolic in schadenfreude heaven.

• Reply 19 of 32
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Fucking idiot.

Any regular reader of this and similar Apple-oriented sites would know more about Apple's products, plans, prospects and performance than he does.  Ask him if he even reads the useless individual company reports that his company's head office flacks churn out.

• Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Meanwhile, let us all frolic in schadenfreude heaven.

That tickled my funny bone!  :)