Apple slams BBC report on suppliers, says provided facts were 'clearly missing' from broadcast

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 146
    I imagine all the people who say this have never actually watched the channel.
    I fact I used to watch it until there was so much half reported and one sided I quit watching it. Plus all the idiot cartoon type shows add more to it so I finally wrote them off. Now rarely if I care to watch actual news I'll turn to a PBS Chanel else I'll try and read selected articles online...
  • Reply 142 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Are workers required to work 60 hour weeks? If so that's inhumane. The fact that Apple even allowed this to happen in the first place shows they give scant regard to the welfare of workers at their suppliers.

Sure many people in the west work 60 hour weeks, but in most cases they choose to do that amount of overtime and can't be forced to do it, and they get big big dollars as a result.

If Tim Cook says he's offended by the BBC showing the truth then that just goes to show what kind of person he is. It reflects poorly on him and Apple.

Uh, did you forget your sarcasm flag? I used to work 80 hours a week. Not for a long time, but neither will these workers. I think I read a lot of people at Apple work 80 hour weeks as engineers. It's the way it is. 

This is ramp up time. It's not 80 hours a week forever. If it is, the Chinese want to work their butts off to make money. 

Two years ago: 

The base salary in Foxconn's Chinese manufacturing bases will be lifted to RMB 4,400 ($700) per month by the end of 2013, from current RMB 2,200 ($350) per month, Taiwan-based Business Weekly reported last week, citing Foxconn’s President Terry Gou.

(http://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-manufacturer-foxconn-to-double-worker-salaries-by-2013/)

Average wages in China seem to be about 1300 Yuan in China (just my generalized guess): http://www.clb.org.hk/en/content/wages-china

ALSO!!!! Foxconn also gives room and board.

That is why you will find kids lie about their age to get a factory job. They are making far, far more than most people. 

- Also, people in the West do not generally get paid "big bucks" for 60 hour weeks. When I was in banking, we were paid okay, but we were expected to do lots of overtime. So, your pay is a lot less.

Unless you are union.

Look at the long lines at the Foxconn factories for employment. It's not like exploitation.

• Reply 143 of 146
    splifsplif Posts: 603member

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Uh, did you forget your sarcasm flag? I used to work 80 hours a week. Not for a long time, but neither will these workers. I think I read a lot of people at Apple work 80 hour weeks as engineers. It's the way it is. 

This is ramp up time. It's not 80 hours a week forever. If it is, the Chinese want to work their butts off to make money. 

Two years ago: 

The base salary in Foxconn's Chinese manufacturing bases will be lifted to RMB 4,400 ($700) per month by the end of 2013, from current RMB 2,200 ($350) per month, Taiwan-based Business Weekly reported last week, citing Foxconn’s President Terry Gou.

(http://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-manufacturer-foxconn-to-double-worker-salaries-by-2013/)

Average wages in China seem to be about 1300 Yuan in China (just my generalized guess): http://www.clb.org.hk/en/content/wages-china

That is why you will find kids lie about their age to get a factory job. They are making far, far more than most people. 

- Also, people in the West do not generally get paid "big bucks" for 60 hour weeks. When I was in banking, we were paid okay, but we were expected to do lots of overtime. So, your pay is a lot less.

Unless you are union.

Look at the long lines at the Foxconn factories for employment. It's not like exploitation.

Yeah, just like the company stores in grapes of wrath! ;) People love to go to work & then go home to the top bunk at work!

I think you forgot the sarcasm tag. People need to work...long lines don't mean anything. It just means people need a job to support their family.

Also most people get overtime for anything over 40 hours in the U.S. has nothing to do with the union (labor laws). You must have been paid on salary on your banking job. Not sure if you live in the U.S. if you do it is clear you never worked in a full-time job that was not a salary position.

I don't know if this is a fair wage in China & I don't blame Apple totally for this but let's not make it out to be all unicorns & rainbow kittens.

• Reply 144 of 146
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Are workers required to work 60 hour weeks? If so that's inhumane. The fact that Apple even allowed this to happen in the first place shows they give scant regard to the welfare of workers at their suppliers.

Sure many people in the west work 60 hour weeks, but in most cases they choose to do that amount of overtime and can't be forced to do it, and they get big big dollars as a result.

If Tim Cook says he's offended by the BBC showing the truth then that just goes to show what kind of person he is. It reflects poorly on him and Apple.

That question mark there is meaningless since you immediately jumped to condemn the company and it's head. Along with that "If" from what I can tell.

• Reply 145 of 146
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scineram View Post

+1! It would immediately restore Apple's clean public image.

-100, would make Apple look petty and vindictive.