Kate Winslet, others rumored to join cast of upcoming Steve Jobs movie

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
The cast of Oscar-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs film is apparently filling out, as the latest scuttlebutt has Kate Winslet in talks to costar and Boardwalk Empire actor Michael Stuhlbarg to take on a supporting role.

Kate Winslet in Divergent. | Source: Summit Entertainment

According to Variety, Winslet is in talks to play the female lead in Universal's upcoming film penned by Sorkin and based on Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography. While unconfirmed, the actress could take on the role of Jobs' daughter Lisa Brennan-Jobs, who is reportedly key to the storyline.

With six Academy Award nominations and a win for Best Actress for her part in The Reader, Winslet is one of the more decorated Hollywood stars said to be in negotiations for a spot on the long-awaited Jobs movie. Previously, Natalie Portman was considering the lead female role, but ultimately declined.

Earlier this week, Deadline reported that Michael Stuhlbarg of HBO's Boardwalk Empire has joined the cast as original Mac operating system programmer Andy Hertzfeld.

Michael Stuhlbarg as Arnold Rothstein in HBO's Boardwalk Empire.

Along with Stuhlbarg, other talent attached to the Jobs picture include Michael Fassbender in the lead role, Seth Rogen as cofounder Steve Wozniak and Danny Boyle in the director's chair. Scott Rudin, Mark Gordon and Guymon Casady are producing.

A number of big-name actors have been in talks to join the cast at one time or another, including Christian Bale, Leonardo DiCaprio and director David Fincher.

Sorkin's Jobs feature has seen a rough time on its way to production, however. Sony Pictures initially bought the rights to Isaacson's biography in 2011, shortly after Jobs' death, but the studio dumped the film last month. Universal quickly took over and production is slated to begin in spring 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I miss Steve. Must be hard for Laurene at Christmas.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am thinking Steve Buscemi for Bill Gates, he is nearly creepy enough looking to play the double crossing, back stabbing thief, all due respect to Mr. Buscemi, I am sure knows he is a bit weird looking and takes advantage of that.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I liked her in Eternal Sunshine, Finding Neverland and Enigma. All 3 in my DVD collection. 

She doesn’t look too much like Lisa Jobs but I guess the important thing is that she looks like she could be the daughter of Michael Fassbender.

• Reply 4 of 32
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

All is forgiven.

America and North Korea kiss and make up: Kim Jong-un accepts role as Guy Kawasaki but refuses to do interviews.

• Reply 5 of 32
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post
    All is forgiven. America and North Korea kiss and make up

Paramount announces their new logo.

• Reply 6 of 32
    gtr wrote: »
    All is forgiven.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">America and North Korea kiss and make up: </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Kim Jong-un accepts role as Guy Kawasaki but refuses to do interviews.</span>

Oh that's bad LOL
  • Reply 7 of 32
    ascii wrote: »
    I liked her in Eternal Sunshine, Finding Neverland and Enigma. All 3 in my DVD collection. 
    <p style="min-height:14px;"> </p>

She doesn’t look too much like Lisa Jobs but I guess the important thing is that she looks like she could be the daughter of Michael Fassbender.

What's a DVD?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What's a DVD?

Well, technically only Enigma is a DVD, the other two are iTunes downloads. I suppose that saying is a bit out of date these days.

• Reply 9 of 32
    Kate Winslet,huh? Must be a nude scene in it...and water, lots of water.
  • Reply 10 of 32

*yawn*

• Reply 11 of 32

North Korea won't allow that movie either.

• Reply 12 of 32
    She'll be playing Laurenne Jobs in the 2nd & 3rd acts. She's too old to play Lisa.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Spent an hour on Gawker last week reading emails between Scott Rudin and Amy Pascal causing this deal to blow up at Sony... Recommended reading!
  • Reply 14 of 32
    You know who would be perfect to play Steve Jobs? Joaquin Phoenix.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

You know who would be perfect to play Steve Jobs? Joaquin Phoenix.

It has to be someone really intense. The suggestion of Tom Cruise the other day was good for that reason. 

• Reply 16 of 32
    Already over this movie that isn't even a movie yet.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Any movie with Kate in it, is a good movie :3
  • Reply 18 of 32
    ascii wrote: »
    <p style="min-height:14px;"> </p>

What's a DVD?

It's optical media, like CDs, used for watching films.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I miss Steve. Must be hard for Laurene at Christmas.

Laurene found someone else:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/wp/2014/06/02/former-dc-mayor-fenty-and-laurene-jobs-take-in-french-open-match/

I'm sure she does miss Steve but you can't let it consume the rest of your life because it doesn't matter how much you'd want it, they don't come back.

I think Kate Winslet is a really good choice for Laurene, it's probably a very small role but a good fit nonetheless.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Kate Winslet,huh? Must be a nude scene in it...and water, lots of water.

Y'know, I've always liked her scuttlebutt...

@digitalclips 

"What's a DVD?"

Aw, cmon!  Apple still sells the Superdrive...