Apple not offering '12 Days of Gifts' promotion for first time in six years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 125
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    No twelve days of gifts?

This would never have happened if Tim Cook was still alive.
  • Reply 22 of 125
    Michael Scott couldn't have allowed this...

because he would have fired everyone before anyone could have thought of it.
  • Reply 23 of 125
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I shop at the Apple Store less and less.  This, and the lack of Black Friday discounts (sorry, iTunes gift cards don't count) are just some of the reasons.

I did stop in the other day to ask about the sudden lack of tracking in my Health app on my iPhone 6.  At 10:10 am, in a largely empty store, I was told I could make an appointment to come back at 7:00 pm.  I motioned to the empty Genius Bar counter at the back of the store and asked if they were really that backed up ten minutes after opening, but was told by the guy in the festive-red Apple shirt that I could take it or leave it.

If this a sign of the Angela Ahrendts era, you can color me unimpressed.

Your anecdote is taken under advisement. We will review your comments after the next Apple quarterly conference call.

If the situation you describe is widespread in Apple retail, then Apple is screwed and AAPL shareholders will be asking for Cook's head.

We'll see in a few weeks.

• Reply 24 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I did stop in the other day to ask about the sudden lack of tracking in my Health app on my iPhone 6.  At 10:10 am, in a largely empty store, I was told I could make an appointment to come back at 7:00 pm.  I motioned to the empty Genius Bar counter at the back of the store and asked if they were really that backed up ten minutes after opening, but was told by the guy in the festive-red Apple shirt that I could take it or leave it.

Which Apple store? I want to make sure I never go into that one.

• Reply 25 of 125
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

I shop at the Apple Store less and less.  This, and the lack of Black Friday discounts (sorry, iTunes gift cards don't count) are just some of the reasons.

I did stop in the other day to ask about the sudden lack of tracking in my Health app on my iPhone 6.  At 10:10 am, in a largely empty store, I was told I could make an appointment to come back at 7:00 pm.  I motioned to the empty Genius Bar counter at the back of the store and asked if they were really that backed up ten minutes after opening, but was told by the guy in the festive-red Apple shirt that I could take it or leave it.

Thanks...for inspiring me to make sure I had the spelling of 'balderdash' right.

• Reply 26 of 125
    gtr wrote: »
    No twelve days of gifts?

This would never have happened if Tim Cook was still alive.

quadra 610 wrote: »
    Michael Scott couldn't have allowed this...

because he would have fired everyone before anyone could have thought of it.

Scully would have changed the promotion to nine days, and charged $24.95 for the app to cover marketing costs.
  • Reply 27 of 125
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    john.b wrote: »

I call BS. Apple may have told you it couldn't make an appointment until 7, but it would have also helped you in order of arrival as a walk in.
    I have done this many times and never waited more than an hour.
  • Reply 28 of 125
    I did not even realize that this promotion had been going on for six years! Never bought a single thing during one of these promotions....

What's with people always looking to buy stuff in 'sales'? Good things in life cost what they cost. Buy it, or don't. But enough with the whining.
  • Reply 29 of 125
    I did not even realize that this promotion had been going on for six years! Never bought a single thing during one of these promotions....

What's with people always looking to buy stuff in 'sales'? Good things in life cost what they cost. Buy it, or don't. But enough with the whining.

The apps/music/movies were free, not on sale.
  • Reply 30 of 125
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

You can go on the Internet at any time, apple.com/retail and see if there are any genius appointments available in your store, so you could have pulled out your phone and checked his story, maybe they really were fully booked.

• Reply 31 of 125
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yet another AI regular who clearly isn't in touch with reality.

Such a waste.

• Reply 32 of 125

The apps/music/movies were free, not on sale.

Thanks for the clarification.

Although, 'free' is just a '100% off' sale. :D
  • Reply 33 of 125
    mpantone wrote: »

Yet another AI regular who clearly isn't in touch with reality.

Such a waste.

Hmm... What exactly is being wasted here? By whom?
  • Reply 34 of 125
    Thanks for the clarification.

Although, 'free' is just a '100% off' sale. :D

Obviously, TANSTAAFL is always in effect, but free is shorter to type than "provided at no cost to the user".
  • Reply 35 of 125
    tbell wrote: »
    I call BS. Apple may have told you it couldn't make an appointment until 7, but it would have also helped you in order of arrival as a walk in.
    I have done this many times and never waited more than an hour.
    Not true I had an appointment the other day for 10:10 am a lady in front of me had no appointment they made her one for 11:00 around 9:30 they took care of her while I waited when I said something about it I was told it was because she spoke Portuguese and the guy who took care of her was the only person that spoke Portuguese, my reply was and my iPhone 6 plus is dead and I have a flight to catch in 4 hours with my ticket in hand so they could see I was not lying
  • Reply 36 of 125
    It made sense when we actually had to pay for most apps but nowadays apps are mostly free while most listen to music via subscription. And iOS users are already getting free apps every week for the entire year that the 12 days of free gifts doesn't seem quite as necessary or special anymore.
  • Reply 37 of 125

Serves us right for being dicks about the U2 rollout. If I was Apple I wouldn't give anything away to such an unappreciative public either.

• Reply 38 of 125
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Well for all the B.S. that Apple had to go through, with the U2 freebie, I think they'd just avoid all the bitching, complaining, whining, moaning, groaning, etc.

Originally Posted by cmfilms View Post

Serves us right for being dicks about the U2 rollout. If I was Apple I wouldn't give anything away to such an unappreciative public either.

I like this interpretation.

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

The implementation was horrible as they pushed content down people's throats.

But you’re absolutely right about this. How hard would it have been to throw it up on the iTunes Store highlight reel with a big “FREE” button next to it for 2.5 months? Geezaloo.

• Reply 39 of 125

The implementation was flawed, but people's ignorance on how to use their phones made it much, much worse.

Then the media doubled it.

• Reply 40 of 125
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Do you really think it would be successful in the US? It's basically a $343 lottery ticket, and I don't think many people would want to spend that much on a lottery ticket. Luck is a much bigger thing in Asian cultures.

It's not like anybody would get a bag worth $0, so it's not exactly the same as a lottery ticket, where you either win, or get nothing. Everybody would be a winner, some more than others.

And yes, this would be hugely successful, if they did it in the US. Like I wrote in the other thread, I bet you that people would be lining up outside stores to get them. Is it for everybody? Of course not, but enough people would do it, to make it a big success.

But then again, I guess that it doesn't really matter, since this won't be happening, so any talk about it is basically a waste.