Apple's 'Start something new' campaign curates art created on iOS and Mac devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Apple took its latest "Start something new" Internet ad campaign global on Wednesday, highlighting digital works of art created through a synergy of iOS and Mac hardware and third-party software.

Prominently displayed on Apple's official website in the U.S. and beyond, "Start something new" is an online art gallery showcasing the potential of Apple products. Apple first launched the project on its Japan website last week.
Every piece in this gallery was created on an Apple product. Every brushstroke, every pixel, and every frame of film was brought to life by talented Apple users from around the world. As you explore their work, we hope it inspires you to create something new.
Featured artists include Austin Mann, who illustrated the photographic potential of Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus through haunting images of a stark Icelandic landscape. To achieve such stunning results, Mann combined stock hardware and third-party photography app VSCO Cam.

Other photographers featured in the gallery -- Marcelo Gomes, Christian Weber, Jared Chambers, Alistair Taylor-Young, Chad Riley and Jimmy Chin -- applied a variety of techniques to extract high quality images from iPhone and iPad that rival comparable pictures shot on standalone camera systems. Aside from VSCO Cam, Apple touts the capabilities of its own Camera app, like Burst Mode, Panorama and more.

Illustration seems to be a focus for Apple's featured iPad artists, as seen in Nomoco's ethereal portraits created using Brushes 3 on an iPad Air 2. An interesting piece by artistic duo Craig & Karl came to life through collaboration over FaceTime and iMessage and ultimately accomplished using painting app Waterlogue.

Filmmakers are also included in the "Start something new" gallery. Universal Everything's Matt Pyke used his iPhone 6 to capture high contrast moving images, then tweaked speed, color and other settings to end up with a film bearing almost painterly qualities.

Finally, a peppering of Mac creatives showed off paintings and movies produced on iMac using iDraw and Final Cut Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    What other platform can compete with that?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    But it's just a content consumption dev.....

oh wait
  • Reply 3 of 23
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

No Adobe products featured...hmmm

• Reply 4 of 23
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

New Starts

In a break with tradition I would like to make it clear that the following speech will not end with me disappearing with a flash and a bang and reappearing with gold and jewels.

Which is a bit of a bummer, for me, really.

However, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank some of the more regular posters on the forum for providing many hours of education and entertainment with their posts, thoughts, and online representations of their personalities.

Many thanks to (in no particular order):

Tallest Skill, SolipsismX, SolipsismY, Corrections, digitalclips, sflocal, SpamSandwich, Suddenly Newton, Apple ][, TheWhiteFalcon, EricTheHalfBee, Macky The Macky, ThePixelDoc, anantksundaram, Melgross, Quadra 610, GadgetCanadaV2, hill60, ascii, Slurpy, MacBook Pro, mdriftmeyer, Muppetry, dasanman69, DroidFTW, boredumb, Napoleon_PhoneApart, PhilBoogie, Benjamin Frost, PatchyThePirate, Andysol, BestKeptSecret, RadarTheKat, NolaMacGuy, Magman1979, PScooter63, Dave MacLachlan, IQatEdo, argonaut, Diplication, mhiki, Richard Getz, AdonisSMU, Disturbia, RedHotFuzz, s.ballmer, TheUnfetteredMind, Rayz, icoco3, jkichline, Lolliver, Hydrogen

Our thoughts are with jragosta and best wishes to Relic.

You have all contributed in some small way or another to this site on a daily basis and I have regularly looked forward to seeing what you all think of the latest news and developments.

I’d also like to give a big thanks to all the boys and girls at Apple who work so hard and sacrifice so much to bring us so much pleasure, make the world a better place, and provide a shining example of what a talented group of individuals can do when they band together. I have seen no other company like them. And that’s a good and bad thing.

And to the man that created it all, Stephen P. Jobs: what an astonishing individual.

Of all of his contributions, probably the most important was his demonstration that a mere mortal, flaws and all, could contribute so much good to humanity. You left us too soon.

A Happy New Year to you all.

Stay Cool. Not so much the fool. And stay hungry.

• Reply 5 of 23

This shows how important 3rd party support really is. Aside from Final Cut, almost everything here was created from 3rd party tools.

• Reply 6 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I like the drawing of the Japanese street, the facial portraits, and the photos of the flowers. If the Japanese street was a bit higher res I'd make it my wallpaper.

These big companies can argue over exclusives for albums, and who has the best streaming service etc, but one thing the Internet does that TV and radio did not is allow everyone to produce, so arguing over distribution of a few items is a bit stuck in the past really.

• Reply 7 of 23
    gtr wrote: »
    New Starts

In a break with tradition I would like to make it clear that the following speech will not end with me disappearing with a flash and a bang and reappearing with gold and jewels.

Which is a bit of a bummer, for me, really.

However, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank some of the more regular posters on the forum for providing many hours of education and entertainment with their posts, thoughts, and online representations of their personalities.

Many thanks to (in no particular order):

Tallest Skill, SolipsismX, SolipsismY, Corrections, digitalclips, sflocal, SpamSandwich, Suddenly Newton, Apple ][, TheWhiteFalcon, EricTheHalfBee, Macky The Macky, ThePixelDoc, anantksundaram, Melgross, Quadra 610, GadgetCanadaV2, hill60, ascii, Slurpy, MacBook Pro, mdriftmeyer, Muppetry, dasanman69, DroidFTW, boredumb, Napoleon_PhoneApart, PhilBoogie, Benjamin Frost, PatchyThePirate, Andysol, BestKeptSecret, RadarTheKat, NolaMacGuy, Magman1979, PScooter63, Dave MacLachlan, IQatEdo, argonaut, Diplication, mhiki, Richard Getz, AdonisSMU, Disturbia, RedHotFuzz, s.ballmer, TheUnfetteredMind, Rayz, icoco3, jkichline, Lolliver, Hydrogen

Our thoughts are with jragosta and best wishes to Realistic.

You have all contributed in some small way or another to this site on a daily basis and I have regularly looked forward to seeing what you all think of the latest news and developments.

I’d also like to give a big thanks to all the boys and girls at Apple who work so hard and sacrifice so much to bring us so much pleasure, make the world a better place, and provide a shining example of what a talented group of individuals can do when they band together. I have seen no other company like them. And that’s a good and bad thing.

And to the man that created it all, Stephen P. Jobs: what an astonishing individual.

Of all of his contributions, probably the most important was his demonstration that a mere mortal, flaws and all, could contribute so much good to humanity. You left us too soon.

Nicely said, and may the new year bring only good to you and yours.

Cheers!
  • Reply 8 of 23

OT, so apologies for this.

@GTR, nice way to start the new year. A Happy New Year to you and to all the other forum members as well!

This is the only Apple site I visit on a daily basis and I love it here!

• Reply 9 of 23
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Happy new year to almost everybody.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    solipsismy wrote: »
    What other platform can compete with that?

Oh, the "We did it first" ad from Samsung is on its way....
  • Reply 11 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This is what blogs need too ... the latest thing in human evolution ... 'curation'.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    clemynx wrote: »

Right back at you! :D
  • Reply 13 of 23
    gtr wrote: »
    New Starts

see above for full text ...

You should add yourself to that list. Happy New Year.

I'd add a special thanks to Corrections for all his insanely great editorials. Keep up the amazing work.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    @GTR - speechless really! What a gorgeous post.... it gave me shivers(!) Thank YOU so much for putting into words what many of us feel here, but don't often enough take the time to say!

Cheers to ya dude.... peace and health to you and your loved ones in 2015!
  • Reply 15 of 23
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    [@]GTR[/@] thanks for the acknowledgment. Happy New Year to you, and to everyone on AI.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    clemynx wrote: »

Yep, and to you as well, and Crowley, Ireland, Wizard69, Dick Applebaum, Gatorguy, etc., etc., all the other curmudgeons who didn't make the cut. There are more I'll think of later . . .

Oh, and mstone, I hope he's just taking it easy by not getting involved in the scraps here.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Oh, and mstone, I hope he's just taking it easy by not getting involved in the scraps here.

I hope he has a harem of Panamanian hotties, and has no time for the likes of us. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 23
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [@]GTR[/@]

[VIDEO]

:D
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But it's just a content consumption dev.....

oh wait

And this doesn't even cover work apps like IBM is making - or the ones I use like Diet Coda and Prompt.

• Reply 20 of 23
    @GTR - fine sentiments and beautifully written.

Happy New Year to everyone.

One thing I found odd is that it mentions Apple showcasing art created using the Brushes 3 app, yet it was last updated before the release of iOS 8 and there are loads of comments saying it doesn't work on iOS 8. Yet the iPad Air 2 runs only IOS 8.