US government sanctions North Korea for Sony hack as 'The Interview' reigns atop iTunes charts

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Maybe, in general, people should just avoid the “I like [noun], but…” phraseology. :p

I like that idea.
  • Reply 82 of 138

This thread is proof that the Internet will not end ignorance. Instead, it just spreads conspiracy theories faster.

The fact is that North Korea's GDP is about the same as Sony's income. But North Korea's "workers' paradise" requires 30 million slaves to produce their GDP, while Sony does it with only 140,000 employees. Admit it or not, Sony has some very bright people working there, some who are quite capable of taking North Korea's internet system down permanently. US sanctions may or may not inconvenience the North Korean regime, but I have just a small suspicion that they have more to fear from Sony.

• Reply 83 of 138
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I like that idea.

In your case if anyone likes it then you like it. ;)
  • Reply 84 of 138
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joogabah View Post

Yes, it did.  Look up the Korean war.

It's a shame you didn't...

Casualties

According to the data from the U.S. Department of Defense, the United States suffered 33,686 battle deaths, along with 2,830 non-battle deaths, during the Korean War.[256] U.S. battle deaths were 8,516 up to their first engagement with the Chinese on 1 November 1950.[257] South Korea reported some 373,599 civilian and 137,899 military deaths.[13] Western sources estimate the PVA suffered about 400,000 killed and 486,000 wounded, while the KPA suffered 215,000 killed and 303,000 wounded.[28]

Data from official Chinese sources, on the other hand, reported that the PVA had suffered 114,000 battle deaths, 34,000 non-battle deaths, 340,000 wounded, 7,600 missing and 21,400 captured during the war. Among those captured, about 14,000 defected to Taiwan, while the other 7,110 were repatriated to China.[258] Chinese sources also reported that North Korea had suffered 290,000 casualties, 90,000 captured and a "large" number of civilian deaths.[258] In return, the Chinese and North Koreans estimated that about 390,000 soldiers from the United States, 660,000 soldiers from South Korea and 29,000 other UN soldiers were "eliminated" from the battlefield.[258]

Recent scholarship has put the full battle death toll on all sides at just over 1.2 million.[259]

BTW:    R. J. Rummel estimated that the North Korean Army executed at least 500,000 civilians during the Korean War with many dying in North Korea's drive to conscript South Koreans to their war effort.[27] When the North Koreans retreated north in September 1950, they abducted tens of thousands of South Korean men. The reasons are not clear but many of the victims had skills, or had been arrested as right-wing activists.[312]

• Reply 85 of 138
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    stoutie wrote: »
    This is sad since it's highly unlikely that NK even did the hack. The FBI used very old code that's been out in the public for some time now to determine that NK was behind it, and numerous experts have determined that NK did not hack Sony. My gut tells me the FBI blew this one and is now trying to keep from looking like idiots. They discounted a well-known security company's conclusions before they even saw the data behind it. I like Obama, but I think he missed it on this one and caved to public pressure. Unfortunate. There are lots of good reasons to hammer NK. This probably isn't one of them, and if it turns out they weren't behind the Sony hack it makes us look like morons.

Do you really believe they make such amateur decisions and mistakes? No, it's called FALSE FLAG. Of course NK had nothing to do with it, which is why all evidence points in the opposite direction...that doesn't stop our government from assigning blame as an excuse to march forth with an evil agenda.

The North Korean government may be bad people, but they are nothing compared to the United states, whom fabricate incidents and lie to carry out horrific acts all over the world.

Who is gonna stop them? Not the American people...they are too busy watching The Interview for $4.99 like a bunch of slobbering idiots.
  • Reply 86 of 138
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    In your case if anyone likes it then you like it. ;)

You agree with that, because I agree with that.
  • Reply 87 of 138
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The North Korean government may be bad people, but they are nothing compared to the United states, whom fabricate incidents and lie to carry out horrific acts all over the world.

Yep, genocide is nothing compared to lies. :rolleyes:

• Reply 88 of 138
    roake wrote: »
    If your gut also tells you that Obama is a good guy, then your gut is full of crap!  :)

Take your utterly moronic post elsewhere, e.g., politicalinsider.
  • Reply 89 of 138
    cjcampbell wrote: »
    This thread is proof that the Internet will not end ignorance. Instead, it just spreads conspiracy theories faster.

The fact is that North Korea's GDP is about the same as Sony's income.

Not sure if you should be accusing others of 'ignorance'. (NK's GDP is 10x that of Sony's net income).

You could make your larger point without (ignorantly) dissing an entire thread.
  • Reply 90 of 138
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cjcampbell wrote: »
    Admit it or not, Sony has some very bright people working there, some who are quite capable of taking North Korea's internet system down permanently. US sanctions may or may not inconvenience the North Korean regime, but I have just a small suspicion that they have more to fear from Sony.

Sony has better things to do with their time. Besides hacking is still illegal.
  • Reply 91 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you haven an actual argument or just nonsense?

Was I talking to you?

• Reply 92 of 138
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by chazwatson View Post

Was I talking to you?

You posted openly on a forum instead of as a PM. So yes.

• Reply 93 of 138
    chazwatson wrote: »

Was I talking to you?

It is an open forum. If you have something you want to address to a single person without a reasonable expectations that others may agree or disagree with your comments then you need to send a private message to the person whom you wish to respond.

edit: Pipped, but I figure repetition is a good thing in this instance.
  • Reply 94 of 138
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

You know the aphorism, "There has never been a war between 2 countries that have a McDonald's Franshised located in them." 

uh, Russia, Ukraine?

(All three restaurants in the peninsula of Crimea were closed in 2014).

• Reply 95 of 138
    …<span style="line-height:1.4em;">you probably don</span>
    ’<span style="line-height:1.4em;">t know what you are talking about. :)</span>

Maybe, in general, people should just avoid the “I like [noun], but…” phraseology. :p

I like that idea, but...
  • Reply 96 of 138
    [URL]http://business.time.com/2010/05/24/why-sanctions-on-north-korea-dont-work/[/URL]

Sanctions have never worked and never will. When will we ever learn.
  • Reply 97 of 138

Are we absolutely sure Sony didn't do this for publicity.

Sony paid too much for a film that wasn't getting big audience approval ratings.

The film is a comedy about murdering an oppressive government dictator. Reviews said it was average (with great moments), and it was up against the big hitter Christmas releases (Hobbit etc).

Sony then get hacked with a message to not show the movie. They capitulate. There is a media circus about how the actual oppressive government dictator is now oppressing American's right to watch a comedy. People are outraged. This is PERFECT viral marketing.

At this point I predicted Sony would release on Christmas day anyway online and in cinemas, and reveal it was all a publicity stunt. And they would get FAR higher sales (and people cheering US vs North Korea). 

But I was wrong.. no revelation that it was a publicity stunt, but Sony did release on Christmas day still, and audience were wildly supportive. 

So, are we sure or not that this wasn't entirely created by Sony... even so much that the US government fell for it?

• Reply 98 of 138
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Are we absolutely sure Sony didnt do this for publicity. Sony paid too much for a film that wasn't getting big audience approval ratings.

So they… decided to purposely lose even more money by not releasing it… 

Yeah…

• Reply 99 of 138

Unfortunately, it is an affectation common in some circles to say that that the US is responsible for every ill that has befallen mankind since the dawn of time. People who suffer from this mental affliction cannot be reasoned with. They assume that they are intellectually superior to everyone else and therefore no one else knows anything.

• Reply 100 of 138
    Are we absolutely sure Sony didn't do this for publicity. Sony paid too much for a film that wasn't getting big audience approval ratings.

Do what for publicity?

Leaking their own personal emails and employee social security numbers? Putting relationships between actors and directors in jeopardy?

Here's the deal... all studios make movies that sometimes don't reach expectations. The Interview might have been destined for that category.

But Sony released 20 other films in 2014 that totaled over a billion dollars domestically. So I seriously doubt Sony would wreck their own reputation and risk lawsuits from purposely leaking personal information to boost some silly Seth Rogen comedy.

When the Sony hack was first revealed... the hackers wanted money. It was an extortion attempt.

There was no mention of North Korea or The Interview until the media speculated upon it.

Then, all of a sudden, the Sony hack story shifted to political propaganda.

I don't know if North Korea was behind the Sony hack or not. But someone was. There was too much damaging information leaked out.

But I don't think Sony created this horrible situation for the publicity of a movie.