Despite lawsuit, Apple's iOS 8 storage is actually far more efficient than Google's Android, Samsung

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Really Mr. Dilger, we don’t need your editorial about this matter. It’s stupid enough as it is. Trying to spin it pro-Apple isn’t necessary. People of reasonable intelligence are already amused by the ignorance of the lawsuit. 
    Actually I'm extremely glad he finally wrote this editorial, as he saved me the time having to go and pull up all the other recent instances of wasted space on devices by bloat.

It needed to be written out for those of us who may have forgotten.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,153member

It doesn't. There have been numerous other articles in the past that cover this topic (i.e., Android's tendency toward bloatware).

Besides, it would eventually be presented by Apple's lawyers in court.

• Reply 23 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Really Mr. Dilger, we don’t need your editorial about this matter. It’s stupid enough as it is. Trying to spin it pro-Apple isn’t necessary. People of reasonable intelligence are already amused by the ignorance of the lawsuit. 

You're right; I didn't need his editorial.  But I liked it; it made me feel good ;)

• Reply 24 of 137

this is laughable. and will flounder in courts. i wonder if these people have switched over to android or not- the grass is not greener on the other side of that fence.

journalism is no longer about integrity, it is about sensation- evoking emotions. and the average person is to blame for this. we still stick with our news companies because we find nearly all other news that does not have a huge bankroll as lacking 'credibility'. 

• Reply 25 of 137
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    mpantone wrote: »
    No, it is not, which is why you can't drive in the carpool lane with a corpse, skeleton, ashes from the crematorium, whatever. Also, pets aren't passengers to the DMV. Your Golden Retriever or parakeet will not allow you to drive in the carpool lane either.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">A dead body is an object. It won't show up on the passenger manifest on a commercial airline flight, it's cargo.</span>

Nice try though.
    How dare you refer to my murder victims as common cargo!
  • Reply 26 of 137

If you have a problem with it, I suggest you file a lawsuit like these idiots.

Your complaint puts you roughly at their level.

:D

• Reply 27 of 137
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    No, it is not, which is why you can't drive in the carpool lane with a corpse, skeleton, ashes from the crematorium, whatever. Also, pets aren't passengers to the DMV. Your Golden Retriever or parakeet will not allow you to drive in the carpool lane either.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">A dead body is an object. It won't show up on the passenger manifest on a commercial airline flight, it's cargo.</span>

Nice try though.

Then an unconscious one.

PS: i had no idea you had even responded to me until I read wigby's comment because, well, you didn't quote the person to which you were responding.
  • Reply 28 of 137

If you don't quote anyone, then it is assumed that you are quoting the person directly above you. The Q&A forums on the Internet have been like this before the World Wide Web.

How long have you been on the Internet? Your AI profile indicates you registered a scant few months ago.

As a matter of fact, when I reply to someone, my reply always includes the post I'm referring to. If there is no other post in between, I often delete the redundant post for brevity, as a courtesy to others for enhanced readability. In the same way, it's like uselessly quote some enormously long rant for no reason. You can truncate the post.

Quote:

"In my opinion, blah blah blah

[full post truncated for brevity]

... and that's how I feel."

• Reply 29 of 137

Not really talking about the topic directly, but the MO of the competitors seems to be some half-baked "solution" and then point and laugh at Apple.

Our OS takes up too much space - we will support SD cards - yeah! Better than Apple.

Our phone operations eat up the battery very fast - include an additional battery in our package - yeah! Better than Apple.

Our phone operations eat up the battery very fast - turn off everything on the phone, leave a B/W screen where a User can do very little and say that we are saving power - yeah! Better than Apple.

The fact is that, if you are willing to look, there are external storage solutions for the iDevices as well. 

I bought a SpacePack for my wife's 5s that has 32GB of memory. It uses an app to move photos and files to and from the iPhone. But it is far from intuitive and takes a very long time for syncing. It also doubles as a portable charger.

There are also those new portable drives that turned up at CES, which support up to 3 devices (Seagate or LaCie). 

Between Cloud storage (if you have the bandwidth and/ or cellular data), bigger iDevices (64/128GB) and third-party storage options, there isn't really that much of an issue or constraint if you really want space.

• Reply 30 of 137

If you don't quote anyone, then it is assumed that you are quoting the person directly above you.

Why is that? Why can't you simply be commenting on the thread subject itself? Case in point, BestKeptSecret's comment just below yours and above mine.

Also, if you don't quote then the person your'e quoting won't get notified that you quoted their comment. Of course, if you don't want to have a conversation that will surely work in your favour, but I question the motives of the person that goes out of their way to not have a conversation in a public forum.
  • Reply 31 of 137

Not my concern.

;)

• Reply 32 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Why is that? Why can't you simply be commenting on the thread subject itself? Case in point, BestKeptSecret's comment just below yours and above mine.

If you're the first commenter, yes, it will be assumed that you are commenting on the original post. After that, all bets are off.

Clearly, you have never posted on Usenet.

AppleInsider's forum software is rather Neanderthal and doesn't support true threaded conversations, well, not in a graceful, intuitive way.

• Reply 33 of 137

Anyhow, good night.

(LOL, yes, I'm talking to myself.)

:p

• Reply 34 of 137
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

No argument here, but it would be nice if Apple would also advertise how much free space there is on their devices. By also, I mean listing them as 16GB, 128GB, 512TB, etc., but then also listing how much free space (rounded to the 10th of a GB?) is available on their devices. Customers obviously understand that the operating system takes up space, but most don't live in that world so they never consider it. This benefits Apple because it brings awareness to the customer — which I like — which would also bring awareness to how far behind their competitors are. If Apple did this I bet we would immediately see articles from major newspapers informing you of just how much space you have on your new device.

But why is this important now?  In the past no one sued Apple or Dell or anyone else over the fact that a 100GB hard drive didn't have 100GB of free space.  People just understood that the operating system (and whatever else was installed) took up space.

Class action lawsuits are the worst of the worst.  A law firm makes hundreds of millions of dollars while every member of the class gets $3.  The ONLY people who benefit from these offensive, frivolous lawsuits that are contributing to the dumbing down of our society are the scumbag lawyers.

• Reply 35 of 137
    "That's why Android is a unmitigated security disaster"

lol, I love how this site's reporters attack Android (and especially Samsung) whenever they can, even with blatant untruthful statements like this one. I reckon they are afraid that Android is actually a better mobile OS than iOS but don't want to admit it. Nope, I'm not an Android fanboy, but I own both an iPhone and Android device and use them regulary. So I would know when I say that Android definitely has more advantages over iOS than iOS over Android.

Hey, but instead of bashing Apple competitors, why don't you post about the iCloud security disaster that happened and reported by other sites just recently?
  • Reply 36 of 137
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Nice comparison but apples and oranges really.

Car seats are easy to count and are easily visible - it's physical space. Phone space is abstract; you can't walk into a store and easily see the net storage available unless you have a demo phone and know how to get to the phones settings and check net free space.
    Even then, can you expect the customer to know how much of that is compulsory operating system data and how much are apps and demo data (preinstalled media)? The only thing they are advertising with is 16, 32, 64 or 128 gb versions.
    It's not as simple as a car seat count.

Secondly, a car is sold without the driver, not with, unlike phones. No car manufacturer hides the fact that there's a compulsary driver required. Common sense; don't be silly!

Appleinsiders article is nice and all but the lawsuit is about how the phones net space is advertised. If Apple would lose such a case, other manufacturers will follow.
    I think its a silly case but this is what happens when you are a multi billion company.

r1sko wrote: »
    Can someone please sue every automaker for selling 5-passenger cars that can only fit 4 passengers. The 1st person is a driver....
  • Reply 37 of 137
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The OS contains a lot of shared libraries that actually reduce the size of apps so it would be a false economy to remove them.

• Reply 38 of 137
    robbyx wrote: »
    But why is this important now?  In the past no one sued Apple or Dell or anyone else over the fact that a 100GB hard drive didn't have 100GB of free space.  People just understood that the operating system (and whatever else was installed) took up space.

Class action lawsuits are the worst of the worst.  A law firm makes hundreds of millions of dollars while every member of the class gets $3.  The ONLY people who benefit from these offensive, frivolous lawsuits that are contributing to the dumbing down of our society are the scumbag lawyers.

1) I don't think it's ever too late to add clarity for the customer, especially when it makes your consumer look bad in comparison.

2) I've argued for this before, just I've argued for Apple using decimal notation in iOS, which they eventually adopted in Mac OS X 10.6. Back then even apps like Disk Utility still used binary notation but now they list decimal. I like how there are versions of Linux that use the kibi/mebi/gibi nomenclature, and suspect that it will eventually be adopted as the proper term since it removed ambiguity.

3) The issue has grown and will continue to grow, even without considering what the default OS uses. With a 10 MB HDD from a very long time ago you get 9.54 MiB. With a 10 GB HDD a long time ago you get 9.31 GiB. With a 10 TB drive in the future you'll get 9.09 TiB. With a 10 PB drive you'll get 8.88 PiB. So add to the disparity growing with each increase in size along with the average customer being more driven to make purchasing decisions on capacity without knowing what that means or that the industry interchanges the same terms and initialisms for different measurement standards, and I don't see how anyone would want to continue making this an issue.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    robbyx wrote: »
    But why is this important now?  In the past no one sued Apple or Dell or anyone else over the fact that a 100GB hard drive didn't have 100GB of free space.

Sure they did:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/30806/apple-others-sued-over-hard-drive-size-claims
    http://apcmag.com/seagate_settles_class_action_cash_back_over_misleading_hard_drive_capacities.htm
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/70087-confusion-over-hard-drive-capacity-ends-lawsuit.html

And from those discussions:

"It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it."
  • Reply 40 of 137
    philboogie wrote: »

Wow, that first reply is over a decade old. [@]Eugene[/@], the first person to reply, makes a good statement, but I'm saddened to see that even over a decade later people that I'd think are in-the-know still don't the different between 1000 and 1024. We need more Eugenes.