Despite lawsuit, Apple's iOS 8 storage is actually far more efficient than Google's Android, Samsung

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought the lawsuit was over the undisclosed extra (and significant) headroom needed when users upgraded from iOS7 to iOS8?

Yes. How is it any different from any other system software update for the past 4 decades or so? And, the variability in system software is in the small print, if not, outright stated on how much storage space it takes.

• Reply 82 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    freerange wrote: »
    Actually, to overcome stupidity and ignorance one actually needs knowledge. Most of us here actually appreciate DED's presentation of the facts. For instance, news to me is that Google has dropped support for SD cards, and the cons of using them with other versions of android which make up the overwhelming number of their devices still being sold. A critically important point when discussing future purchases with friends or family that might be considering buying one.
    Google Android has not dropped SD card support, a fact I suspect Mr Dilger was well aware of when he wrote this piece.

On the contrary Android Lollipop has significantly enhanced SD card security while improving usability. Of course if the author had mentioned this it would have been one less FUD-fueled talking point.
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/19510/20141106/android-5-0-lollipop-comes-with-better-sd-card-support-hoorah-google.htm
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/android-5-0-makes-sd-cards-great-again-extends-api-to-allow-full-directory-access-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/
  • Reply 83 of 137

How is a 2% difference between the iPhone 5c and the Nexus 5 "far more efficient"?

• Reply 84 of 137
    Quote:

Google Android has not dropped SD card support, a fact I suspect Mr Dilger was well aware of when he wrote this piece.

On the contrary Android Lollipop has significantly enhanced SD card security while improving usability. Of course if the author had mentioned this it would have been one less FUD-fueled talking point.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/19510/20141106/android-5-0-lollipop-comes-with-better-sd-card-support-hoorah-google.htm

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/android-5-0-makes-sd-cards-great-again-extends-api-to-allow-full-directory-access-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/

They can't let facts get in the way of bashing a competitor.

• Reply 85 of 137
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    How is a 2% difference between the iPhone 5c and the Nexus 5 "far more efficient"?

Why would you exclude all other devices pre-installed with Android except the one model that does well to compare with Apple? (rhetorical)

A rational person would look at these devices to see that this is a problem for Android users, not make arguments about how all other vendors don't count because they add their own crap to the build (a business strategy Google devised).
  • Reply 86 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Sure it does.

Formatting uses space, sure it doesn't.

• Reply 87 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Why would you exclude all other devices pre-installed with Android except the one model that does well to compare with Apple? (rhetorical)

A rational person would look at these devices to see that this is a problem for Android users, not make arguments about how all other vendors don't count because they add their own crap to the build (a business strategy Google devised).

With Android you can just add an SD card...

...oh, hang on.

Nexus you can't.

• Reply 88 of 137
    hill60 wrote: »

Formatting uses space, sure it doesn't.

1) I'm not sure what you're saying here.

2) Formatting uses very little space. On my 500.28 GB (500,277,790,720 Bytes) SSD which leaves 499.42 GB (499,418,034,176 Bytes), which I think is 0.017%. But that doesn't mean I think it should be labeled a 499.42 GB drive because formatting is in the same boat as installing an OS or apps; that's what the drive is for.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    hill60 wrote: »

With Android you can just add an SD card...

...oh, hang on.

Nexus you can't.

That image does illustrate that Android is on par with iOS without all the crap other vendors install on their devices.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Has Google dropped support for SD cards? Has anyone told Google yet?

Google has limited what can be put on SD cards. You can store photos, music, docs etc but cannot install apps (or more accurately full apps, the apps system files must be installed on the device storage and some cannot be moved at all). If you need to install apps to an SD card you need either a windows phone or a phone with an earlier version of Android (plenty of budget phones still run earlier versions I think).
  • Reply 91 of 137
    Quote:

The article specifically mentions Kit Kat as being the version of Android that dropped types of SD card storage support, and the techtimes link you posted even includes angry comments from Android users regarding that fact. It's not a FUD based point. It's a point about the irony of someone suing Apple regarding iOS storage capability vs. what was advertised. Not only did Android phones typically fair worse when it came to available on-board storage vs. what was advertised, but they also lost external storage capabilities through a software update. 

• Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foregoneconclusion View Post

The article specifically mentions Kit Kat as being the version of Android that dropped types of SD card storage support, and the techtimes link you posted even includes angry comments from Android users regarding that fact. It's not a FUD based point. It's a point about the irony of someone suing Apple regarding iOS storage capability vs. what was advertised. Not only did Android phones typically fair worse when it came to available on-board storage vs. what was advertised, but they also lost external storage capabilities through a software update. 

It does but seeing as how Lollipop has corrected or greatly improved SD card support, Mr. Dilger's omission of this fact is the FUD that Gatorguy mentioned. I suspect however that Daniel will soon counter with the "Not Everyone Is On Lollipop" argument to further the FUD.

• Reply 93 of 137
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

It does but seeing as how Lollipop has corrected or greatly improved SD card support, Mr. Dilger's omission of this fact is the FUD that Gatorguy mentioned. I suspect however that Daniel will soon counter with the "Not Everyone Is On Lollipop" argument to further the FUD.

As of Dec 2, lollipop has been installed on 2.1% of android devices. So unless they had a spectacular Dec, it'll be around that low for a while. Plus how many of those devices can run it. So while SD functions have been restored, the vast majority aren't experiencing it.
  • Reply 94 of 137
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

1. iPhone owner sues Apple for misrepresenting how much storage will be available to the user.

2. Apple crazies scream about how Android is worse.

3. iPhone owners shrugs.  They didn't buy an Android phone, why would they care what Android phones do or do not do.

What Apple does, what the iPhone does, and the space that iOS takes up is the only thing relevant to the lawsuit.  Android is irrelevant.

• Reply 95 of 137
    As Nelson is reputed to have said, whilst raising his telescope to his blind eye,'I see no ships'!
  • Reply 96 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Android is irrelevant.

No, but pretend what you will.

• Reply 97 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

1. iPhone owner sues Apple for misrepresenting how much storage will be available to the user.

2. Apple crazies scream about how Android is worse.

3. iPhone owners shrugs.  They didn't buy an Android phone, why would they care what Android phones do or do not do.

What Apple does, what the iPhone does, and the space that iOS takes up is the only thing relevant to the lawsuit.  Android is irrelevant.

Not according to Daniel. Any chance for a slam on Android or Google, no matter how irrelevant, and it's related in his eyes.

• Reply 98 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Again, it doesn't qualify as FUD. It's a valid point regarding whether or not suing Apple for the size of the OS on the internal storage really makes any sense considering how the rest of the industry works for BOTH internal and external storage. A consumer could have easily purchased an Android phone after looking at a checklist of features that included increasing storage capacity with an SD card, and then lost that capacity by installing Kit Kat. There were annoyed Android users complaining about that on the techtimes link that Gatorguy provided.

• Reply 99 of 137
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, but pretend what you will.

Thanks, that's very kind of you.  I'll pretend the truth if it's all the same to you, which is what I said above.

• Reply 100 of 137
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Again, it doesn't qualify as FUD. It's a valid point regarding whether or not suing Apple for the size of the OS on the internal storage really makes any sense considering how the rest of the industry works for BOTH internal and external storage. A consumer could have easily purchased an Android phone after looking at a checklist of features that included increasing storage capacity with an SD card, and then lost that capacity by installing Kit Kat. There were annoyed Android users complaining about that on the techtimes link that Gatorguy provided.

Yet how many articles have we read that claim Apple isn't like the rest of the industry, but now it conveniently is.