Cheap Chinese Apple Watch copycat appears at CES, less than 4 months after Apple unveiling

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ross.alex.k View Post

As it stands currently, I will be sitting in my living room on preorder night trying to guess which size will be best for me. 

Oh good lord. Would anyone ever buy a nice watch this way? Talk about your early adopters. I guess you're the kind of Apple fan Apple expects to ensure a successful launch.

• Reply 42 of 93
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

After posting the last comment, I was able to find the original article the photo was lifted from (http://mashable.com/2015/01/08/fake-apple-watch-ces/). The caption says that screen appears only for about 3 seconds on startup.

Anyway, pictures I am finding around the internet (mostly stolen from Mashable) show a watch with a screen that looks significantly different (much better) than the one in the German video. I wonder if there are more than one knockoff floating around.

(edit: grammer)
  • Reply 43 of 93
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ross.alex.k View Post

You missed my point. If I could go somewhere and put an Apple Watch on my wrist, decide whether the 38 or 42 was right for me, pick out a band, and color, I would feel much better about it. As it stands currently, I will be sitting in my living room on preorder night trying to guess which size will be best for me. Here's hoping they have in-store samples you can try on, before preorders start.

I wouldn't count on this looking or feeling anything like a real Apple Watch. You might as well go out and buy a $5 Timex and base your decision on that.

For myself, I'm planning on walking into and Apple Store and trying a few on before I buy.

• Reply 44 of 93
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Are bloggers at CES buying these in droves so they can make a goof on it? If so, do they realize they are supporting the stealing of a company's IP and fueling these knock off companies as a result?
  • Reply 45 of 93
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Are bloggers at CES buying these in droves so they can make a goof on it? If so, do they realize they are supporting the stealing of a company's IP and fueling these knock off companies as a result?

And if they realized, would they care? 

• Reply 46 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

And if they realized, would they care? 

I can’t see Gizmodo caring, but everyone should at least realize it. Whether there are enough journalists with the morality left to report on such things is another question.

• Reply 47 of 93
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

At $27 it's a way better deal for what it does than the Apple Watch is at $350 for what it does. Yes, the Apple Watch does more, but it doesn't do $323 more.

I think it easily does $323 more. I think of this as in interesting mockup of the coming Apple Watch. It has novelty for that purposes for about 30-60 seconds. $27 for 60 seconds of novelty is way, way over priced. The Apple Watch is far better value. 

Think about why diamond jewelry sells. Perhaps a subjective value judgment is made.

• Reply 48 of 93
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    popnfresh wrote: »
    At $27 it's a way better deal for what it does than the Apple Watch is at $350 for what it does. Yes, the Apple Watch does more, but it doesn't do $323 more.
    How long did you have to exercise your brain before you came up with that assessment?
    With absolutely no hands on experience you make stupid pronouncements.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    siretman wrote: »
    How long did you have to exercise your brain before you came up with that assessment?
    With absolutely no hands on experience you make stupid pronouncements like the stupid troll you are. Go back under the rock!!

Hey, Android sales depend on this idiotic thinking!

Look, if Samsung & Xiaomi are allowed to get away with blatant IP theft then why can't these guys do the same? In fact didn't LG release an iPhone rip-off in exactly the same window between announcement & release in 2007?

Apple's mistake is they think the vast majority of the public can appreciate or even identify the difference between a fake & the real thing. Android demonstrates that, mostly, we can't.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    I want one!
  • Reply 51 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    You missed my point. If I could go somewhere and put an Apple Watch on my wrist, decide whether the 38 or 42 was right for me, pick out a band, and color, I would feel much better about it. As it stands currently, I will be sitting in my living room on preorder night trying to guess which size will be best for me. Here's hoping they have in-store samples you can try on, before preorders start.

Or you could wait till they are available, go to the Apple Store and try on a real one to decide if you like it and save yourself the price of the fake.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Hey, Android sales depend on this idiotic thinking!

Look, if Samsung & Xiaomi are allowed to get away with blatant IP theft then why can't these guys do the same? In fact didn't LG release an iPhone rip-off in exactly the same window between announcement & release in 2007?

Apple's mistake is they think the vast majority of the public can appreciate or even identify the difference between a fake & the real thing. Android demonstrates that, mostly, we can't.

I don't believe Apple made that mistake. I don't believe they build for the vast majority of the public.

• Reply 53 of 93
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It really is quite impressive how quickly they are able to knock up cheap imitations of things. Totally immoral of course, to copy someone's product and try to sell it before they do, but still the speed of it.

• Reply 54 of 93
    hngfrhngfr Posts: 72member
    The knock-off has nowhere near the curves and 'bubble' shape of the original :)
  • Reply 55 of 93
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    This is just ridiculous. I wish our government would have the balls to go after China for things like this. It's just sickening the amount of copying the Chinese do. From electronics to even the Ford F-150, the Chinese just have no shame. 

The Koreans are no better- Hyuandai and Samsung spring to mind.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    tyler82 wrote: »
    The Koreans are no better- Hyuandai and Samsung spring to mind.

An entire nation of unethical scumbags, right?¡
  • Reply 58 of 93

Will be interesting to see when the first class action suit comes along because the "AppleWatch" they bought at the CES has not feature parity with the watches sold only 3 months later.

In September Apple marketed their watch with so many features and at the CES only a few were incorporated in the watch.

/s

• Reply 59 of 93
    What took them so long?
  • Reply 60 of 93
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member

Okay, so China has turned into a ginormous Tijuana. 

Hey gringo, wanna buy a App-Pull watch - real cheap?