Roundup: The best external monitor alternatives to Apple's outdated Thunderbolt Display

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    larrya wrote: »
    Just curious- what is the point of a curved display? You say it's not great for video and "images". What does that leave? I feel like I'm missing the boat on this one. I understand it makes 150 foot movie screens feel more immersive, but in any other context it seems like it would just make the display seem smaller.

More encompassing display. I thought I had mentioned a much wider display would be good for coders. I am constantly annoyed with having to open, close, and move all the slide-in areas around when using Xcode.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

It angers me that Apple doesn't make their monitors with multiple inputs like every other monitor manufacturer. Until this changes I will never buy another Apple monitor. I have multiple computers on my desk, both mac and PCs and they all need to share the same monitors.

Yes I need multiple switchable inputs as well, plus a matte screen.

My current lovely monitor is a BenQ GL2450, with DVD, VGA and HTML inputs, all currently in use.

My 2012 Mini uses the HTML port including the audio. 

Of course Apple isn't into a $200 24" LED display !

• Reply 83 of 92
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're 90 degrees out.

It's much easier reading up and down than left and right. That's why newspaper columns are narrow. It's why music staves are on top of each other, rather than on separate pages.

Newspaper columns are long and narrow, because it's much more difficult holding a newspaper sideways.

• Reply 84 of 92
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    You're 90 degrees out.

It's much easier reading up and down than left and right. That's why newspaper columns are narrow. It's why music staves are on top of each other, rather than on separate pages.

Are you sure about that?

• Reply 85 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're 90 degrees out.

Newspaper columns are long and narrow, because it's much more difficult holding a newspaper sideways.

Eh?

You do hold a newspaper sideways. Would look pretty bizarre if you held it at the top and the bottom; like you were holding a scroll.

• Reply 86 of 92
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,654member

No. In fact I tried that exact type of cable but it does not allow the Dell monitor to run at its native 2560x1440 resolution (the same resolution as the iMac 27). Apple makes or brand labels a similar cable. I think it's good for up to about 1080. However to support the higher 1440 resolution you'll need the big honking Apple donglebeast. In fact, you have to make sure the firmware in the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link Adapter is at version 1.03 or later. The good news is that the donglebeast was pretty much plug & play and the Dell monitor looks virtually identical to the iMac, but with a matte finish.

I understand that the video driver and linking technology still has not caught up with what's needed to support super high resolution but it would have been nice if Apple at least retooled the stand on the existing TB display to support vertical adjustment so it will line up with iMac 27s. Cost reducing the thing to make it more competitive would also be nice. It seems very dated, even more so because it mimics the fatter profile of the older iMacs. Getting it to within $100 of competitive products would be nice. The Apple rep I spoke to at the store told me they sell very very few of the TB displays. I think they are a tough sell and overdue for a refresh.

• Reply 87 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,434moderator
    dewme wrote: »
    No. In fact I tried that exact type of cable but it does not allow the Dell monitor to run at its native 2560x1440 resolution (the same resolution as the iMac 27). Apple makes or brand labels a similar cable. I think it's good for up to about 1080. However to support the higher 1440 resolution you'll need the big honking Apple donglebeast.

It seems to be a software problem though, not a cable problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5766672
    http://www.itcentralpoint.com/dell-u2713-full-resolution-problems-on-osx-mavericks

"It seems the EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) in Mavericks was not right for my new monitor (I also read this solves the problem for other Dell Models U2711 & U2713H). Fortunately, from this link (I also made a mirror here just in case) I could download a ZIP file which contains the correct EDID for these Dell monitors.
    I just download the file, and uncompress it. Then copy the folder to the following path: /System/Library/Displays/Overrides. Then restarted and the display will work as it should have the first time, full 2560×1440 no problems!"
  • Reply 88 of 92
    Mac drivers currently do not support 2 x DP1.2 configuration with DisplayID, hence it is not yet possible to drive a 5K Mac display on the Dell UltraSharp UP2715K...thought that would have been useful to highlight within the narrative above.
  • Reply 89 of 92

None. Displaying 5K resolution on UP2715K requires 2 x DP1.2 cable connection with DisplayID support. Mac drivers currently do not support 2 x DP1.2 configuration with DisplayID.

• Reply 90 of 92

Hello everyone!

New member here.  Found this thread through Google search.

I currently own a 27" retina iMac.  Also use a 27" Apple Cinema display as a secondary monitor.

The Apple Cinema Display is "okay."  I just miss the extra real estate that the iMac provides because of the added resolution.

I researched a lot of 4k monitors to replace the Apple Cinema Display.  The one that seems to be highly recommended is the BenQ BL3201PH.

So here are my questions....

Will I get close to retina quality on the BenQ next to my retina iMac?

What cable will I need to drive this 4k monitor?  It's probably the same I am using to drive the current Cinema Display, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• Reply 91 of 92
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    Why is the LG 34 inch ultra wide not mentioned at all? 
    I Have one connected to my late 2012 Mac Mini, and it's AWESOME, and brilliant.