Traffic from Apple's unannounced iOS 9 grows into new year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    ireland wrote: »
    A nice feature as part of the iOS 9 upgrade experience would be if Apple uploaded your local photos and videos (or checked if they already have been) and temporality deleted them from the device if there wasn't enough space for you to update and after the update downloaded them. That would encourage updating.

It could definitely more intelligent. But not everyone is using an excessive amount of space for videos and photos. Apple could also do an iTunes Match-like curation to mark, number, and copy: 1) the least played songs, 2) songs that haven't played in the longest time frames. This could help gain space that could potentially be faster than a temporarily uploading of images and videos as they are unique, whereas most music will likely already be on their iTunes servers.

Of course, this is something Apple needs to measure before it does anything so a combination of this cloud-based fox-chicken-grain puzzle game may be in order for this to work. They should also tell you how they are going to do it on the device with a WiFi connection and inform you that you can upgrade without this hassle if you simply plug it into an internet connected machine running iTunes.

* How does that differ from "least played songs"? Well, if you have a new album that might be something you've been playing very recently but doesn't have a lot of plays as of yet.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    And why does Touch ID on my iPhone 6 continue to forget my fingerprints? It's been improved (by not forgetting as quickly as before) but it eventually forgets. Are my fingers changing?!

I've never had an issue with that. I've had the occasional issue with moist fingers that aren't being read correctly but never with it forgetting my fingerprints. Perhaps you should try multiple slots for a single finger in slightly various ways.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

As the article mentions starting early is only prudent and given the hyper scrutiny APLLE gets and given they've certainly got the resources: makes total sense.

• Reply 24 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

I wish Apple would declare another "no new feature" release like Snow Leopard. Take a year to squash out all the bugs in the existing version of OS X and iOS 8. iOS 8.1.2 has been really buggy with iCloud syncing.

Couldn't agree more. Too many devices to support at this point and Apple Watch will further complicate the problem. They need a good 12 months to fix all the glaring bugs that exist right now and to refine the features we already have. It still annoys me that one must wait 1-2 seconds after unlocking before you can swipe to the next home screen and yet when Jobs was alive we an had a mobile OS where you could swipe onto the next homesceen before the icons landed on the springboard. Apple needs to seriously, seriously, seriously hire Loren Britcher to head up iOS design under Jony's leadership. And what's with the fade-up when I wake my iPhone 5? Why is it so slow, lazy and laggy to fade-up? It was the same on iOS 7. Jony is misguided if he think's this makes the experience more human and smooth or something. It's so frustrating having to wait like an idiot.

• Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

And why does Touch ID on my iPhone 6 continue to forget my fingerprints? It's been improved (by not forgetting as quickly as before) but it eventually forgets. Are my fingers changing?!

It's certainly possible, fingers get dirty, cold, wet, cut etc. far more than other areas of skin: part of their function. But what do you mean by "forgets"? The information disappears or one time your finger fails to be recognized? Or at some point is NEVER again recognized?

Like with any optical sensor take a look at how clean the window is: smeared with gunk and not much information can get through, making pattern recognition more and more difficult.

If none of the above applies you've got a faulty unit (it happens) so take it back for a replacement.

• Reply 26 of 50

We do not need a NEW iOS.  We need an iOS that works, reliably, all the time.  One in which new features take a background to the fact that iOS "just works".  In the "good old days" Apple products were popular because they "worked" and one did not need to spend hours trying to figure out "how they worked".

What Apple chooses to name the improved and stable iOS is unimportant.  What is important is that both iOS and OS X become stable and intuitive again.

• Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

As much as I disliked Scott Forstall, at least things worked when he was in charge of iOS devices.

I think Forstall was more obsessive about killing bugs. Sure Maps was a debacle and all that, but I think he got fired more because he refused to apologise and thought he was Jobs. Shame he was a baby because he had a lot of good qualities as a software leader.

• Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

We do not need a NEW iOS.  We need an iOS that works, reliably, all the time.  One in which new features take a background to the fact that iOS "just works".  In the "good old days" Apple products were popular because they "worked" and one did not need to spend hours trying to figure out "how they worked".

What Apple chooses to name the improved and stable iOS is unimportant.  What is important is that both iOS and OS X become stable and intuitive again.

There's a presumption there I don't agree with: I find them to be both. Mileages vary I suppose.

• Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

It could definitely more intelligent. But not everyone is using an excessive amount of space for videos and photos.

Hence the check first.

• Reply 30 of 50
    They need sort options for apps. Also smart folders. I want to sort my apps based on last used or frequency used...Smart folders so I can automatically collect apps that are not being used into one place so they do not clutter the rest...come on...this should be ez.
  • Reply 31 of 50

You would hope iOS 9 is a change in mostly name only and is a relatively small feature upgrade with the focus on squashing bugs.

"Handover" or whatever it is called to pass calls from phone to Mac should have been delayed based on all of the other things going on.

iOS 9 will probably address larger phones and leveraging the larger screens. There's a lot they can do in that department. And update the look of iOS.

Hopefully, there's nothing structurally changed in a great way that precludes them from fixing what we have now.

How are developers holding up? Sometimes it seems they would need to update apps based on all of the changes.

I got a new phone and manually installed apps. I noticed a lot of apps are no longer supported. They no longer work. They haven't been updated in years. At best, they have been updated to take advantage of the iPhone 6/6+, but a lot of apps haven't.

• Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

They need sort options for apps. Also smart folders. I want to sort my apps based on last used or frequency used...Smart folders so I can automatically collect apps that are not being used into one place so they do not clutter the rest...come on...this should be ez.

There are other little things, like when you search for an app, you should have the option to go to it on your phone (not launch it, but find it wherever you have it on one of your screens - in case you want to delete or move around).

Another shortcut is the springboard - there is the wifi icon - you should be able to double-click on one of those icons, like wifi, and get settings for it.

The Settings mess - so hard to find what you are looking for. There needs to be a way to search for what you are looking for (like in iOS Preferences panel). There needs to be some simplification.

Need an update to the icon layout. Feels dated/old. There should be view options, like list view on home screen. Bigger springboard area for more icons.

Ability to delete Apple created apps - or at least hide them.

The list goes on...

• Reply 33 of 50
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Glenn Fleishman put together a summary of some of the most glaring iOS and OS X bugs that haven't been fixed but should have never passed QA/UAT (scroll about halfway down to the "iOS Software" section):

http://glog.glennf.com/blog/2015/1/6/the-software-and-services-apple-needs-to-fix

So many silly little bugs, of things that just don't work quite right, or in some way seem unpolished or not well thought out.  If I see them every day, then someone in Cupertino has to be seeing the same things.

• Reply 34 of 50
    I would like to see usability improvements, some of which appeared in the mockup video - settings search (it's getting such a long list), better storage space handling, smart folders as someone has suggested and I love that "rotating" home screen and the layout options. A lot of the rest I think are of little value or visually messy.

Nice piece of work all the same ...
  • Reply 35 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I sure hope iOS 9 fixes this unusable, hot mess that my devices have become.  Safari is nearly unusable, rampant wifi issues and the so many really questionable UI treatments have really ruined iOS.

As much as I disliked Scott Forstall, at least things worked when he was in charge of iOS devices.

You obviously never used iOS 2.0
  • Reply 36 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I sure hope iOS 9 fixes this unusable, hot mess that my devices have become.  Safari is nearly unusable, rampant wifi issues and the so many really questionable UI treatments have really ruined iOS.

You obviously never used iOS 2.0
  • Reply 37 of 50

Wow. Great concept video. I for one would love to see all those new features in the next release of iOS

• Reply 38 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I too am hoping iOS 9 focusing on polishing up the existing OS, and also giving developers more time and encouragement to update their Apps.

There were a lot of groundbreaking enhancements added in iOS 8...that only a fraction of developers have even touched.

Just a few being:

1. Developers and can provide access to both 1Password and iCloud Keychain in their Apps....I have maybe 2 Apps that work with the 1Password extension and have yet to see a single App that will allow AutoFill of user/pass from iCloud Keychain.

2. Still a wealth of Apps on my device have yet to even be updated for the iPhone 6/6 Plus display.

3. Notification Center widgets are pretty lame.

4. ApplePay is rare in 3rd party apps.

5. HomeKit is just now seeing the first prototype products to integrate it, maybe on the market by summer. Just in time for iOS 9 and HomeKit 2.

6. iCloud Drive was on an early rush of Apps, and most have not even touched it.

None of this is to be blamed on Apple, it is 100% the stagnating developer community. Unless a new API can be clearly translated into "this is how our App makes more money"...there is little motivation for developers to spend the time and resources developing.

Competition based on features doesn't exist, because discovery is still random.

I've thought about what Apple could do to motivate developers to make their Apps better and more modern. 

It makes me think of what happens in the accessory space when a new hardware design is released....no matter what you did before, what product you made or how successful it was...the score is reset to zero every time a new hardware design comes out, and you need to make new accessories for the new product...and the first company to do it right, reaps the biggest benefits. True competition.

I wish something similar would happen with the App Store.

When a new OS is released, and a new device comes on the market, if you want your App to appear on the store as available for that device, you are going to need to update it to meet a minimum set of requirements. I think this can be done. There was a time where Apple was really concerned about introducing a new device and making sure all Apps on the store were still compatible, however crappy the compatibility was (2x mode on iPad, Blurry Apps on Retina, Black bars on iPhone 5, Upscaling on iPhone 6). I think with the sheer volume of Apps today, and a desire for some App developers to compete vs. others resting on their laurels....some strict motivation should be put in place.

Apple should require Apps be updated, and include certain user-benefiting features. Not everything, but certain critical things that raise the bar of the OS. Apple took a SMALL step in this direction when, in iOS 8, they dictated that for an App to include cloud services like Dropbox or OneDrive integration, they MUST also include iCloud. I thought this was fantastic, but the development community has shown that they will just as soon NOT update their Apps.

Since Apple doesn't announce iPhone/iPad hardware specs until days before it becomes available, there has to be some grace period for developers to update their apps to properly support new display sizes/resolutions. But for me to still have Apps on my iPhone 6 Plus that are not optimized for the the display (Apps that have been updated with other changes in the last several months), is ridiculous. When Apple releases a new display size/resolution...any App that is not updated to support the new device within 3 months should be pulled from the store, or at least invisible to the new devices. Any App that is not recompiled with the latest SDK upon launch of the OS, should also be pulled from the store, or at least invisible to the new OS.

I'm tired of seeing developers skate by without much commitment to their apps, but allowed to continue charging the same amount for their apps, and allowed to continue presenting them right alongside other apps that may actually have been updated and comply with current styles/features.

TL;DR App store desperately needs forcible curation like the hardware accessory business has.

How about charging for an update? We are used to that for other software so why not for IOS apps? Keep the app you have or pay for the new features. Does Apple allow that?

• Reply 39 of 50
    pfisher wrote: »

There are other little things, like when you search for an app, you should have the option to go to it on your phone (not launch it, but find it wherever you have it on one of your screens - in case you want to delete or move around).

Another shortcut is the springboard - there is the wifi icon - you should be able to double-click on one of those icons, like wifi, and get settings for it.

The Settings mess - so hard to find what you are looking for. There needs to be a way to search for what you are looking for (like in iOS Preferences panel). There needs to be some simplification.

Need an update to the icon layout. Feels dated/old. There should be view options, like list view on home screen. Bigger springboard area for more icons.

Ability to delete Apple created apps - or at least hide them.

The list goes on...

Try wading your way through the settings on android and windows phones and you will come to appreciate the settings in iOS.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Try wading your way through the settings on android and windows phones and you will come to appreciate the settings in iOS.

I'd still like there to be a search feature because it can be hard to remember where items are in Settings.