Samsung to ape Apple's Touch ID with touch-style fingerprint sensor in 'Galaxy S6' - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 237
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What does copying have to do with innovation? I never said a larger screen phone was "innovative" but the fact is Samsung had one before Apple did so in that sense Apple is the one copying, no?

No! Apple implementing a fairly common, not innovative form factor just means Apple is targeting the customer base that made the form factor popular. It doesn't mean Apple is copying anyone, especially Samsung (who is just another face in the crowd).
  • Reply 22 of 237
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    People still think this?

Name one of those things that weren't available with Android prior to iOS 8.
  • Reply 23 of 237
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

That didn't last long. Would have thought a Samsung tech release would have been better thought out? Especially something for an important security feature.

• Reply 24 of 237
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Going to their website reveals a technology that on the surface looks very very similar to Apple's. It will interesting to see what happens in this space.

They could probably release their version globally instead of in the US without worry.

• Reply 25 of 237
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Name one of those things that weren't available with Android prior to iOS 8.

I… what? That’s an odd sentence construction.

They were available on platforms other than Android before Android had them.

• Reply 26 of 237
    iaeen wrote: »
    No! Apple implementing a fairly common, not innovative form factor just means Apple is targeting the customer base that made the form factor popular. It doesn't mean Apple is copying anyone, especially Samsung (who is just another face in the crowd).

Well the consumer made one touch finger print sensors popular. Why wouldn't Samsung and others try to implement something similar? If they violate specific Apple/Authentec patents then Apple sues.

Look I hate Samsung as much as anyone. I don't own any Samsung products. But it's hard to deny they were the ones who made large screen phones popular.
  • Reply 27 of 237
    I… what? That’s an odd sentence construction.

They were available on platforms other than Android before Android had them.

So if they were on iOS first and then ended up on Android no one here would have accused Google of copying Apple? And again, I didn't say only Android. Notification center was jailbreak for instance.
  • Reply 28 of 237
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

I'm always cursing at my first generation iPad mini because I always forget it doesn't have a TouchID. Why won't I do the same for my Samsung device? *Because I will never buy one.*

• Reply 29 of 237
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Did Apple ape the Galaxy Note when they released the 6 Plus?

Did Samsung ape the Dell Streak when they released the Note?

Samsung's "jump the shark" moment was anything after the Galaxy SIII.

It's been downhill ever since.

• Reply 30 of 237
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What does copying have to do with innovation? I never said a larger screen phone was "innovative" but the fact is Samsung had one before Apple did so in that sense Apple is the one copying, no?

Please, Samsung was not the first to introduce a 5 inch screen I would would give that honor to Dell with their "Dell Streak."  But if you really want to be correct then you need to go back to 1993 with the Apple Newton which had 4.9' screen with a stylus. Yes, a 5 inch screen with a stylus in 1993, people always want to bring big screen up but they forget when the iphone was release it had the biggest screen around at 3.5 inch. Everyone else was rocking a 2.5-2.8 inch screen. I remember when the iphone was release everyone was saying man, that's a big screen, but somehow apple is the one following the trend.

• Reply 31 of 237

So if they were on iOS first and then ended up on Android no one here would have accused Google of copying Apple?

G44

• Reply 32 of 237
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

No. Only idiots think "large" is feature or innovation.

Was the shift to a retina resolution display on the 4S 'innovation'?

• Reply 33 of 237
    rogifan wrote: »
    No what's silly is every time someone else does something people here immediately claim Apple's being copied.

No what's silly is denying that Samsung gets smartphone feature ideas from Apple. They do. It was famously revealed during the trial as a "crisis in design." The iPhone is and continues to be their inspiration.
  • Reply 34 of 237
    Secure element?
  • Reply 35 of 237
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

4. Yes.

• Reply 36 of 237
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    No what's silly is denying that Samsung gets smartphone feature ideas from Apple. They do. It was famously revealed during the trial as a "crisis in design." The iPhone is and continues to be their inspiration.

It's actually the Apple's implementation of a previous idea that they're copying.
  • Reply 37 of 237
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

4, actually.  And it was by a significant margin the highest resolution display on any widely available mobile device, that has since been copied by every other manufacturer of note.

So yes, standard-setting, and pretty innovative.  The maker of that first screen (don't even know, Sharp? LG?) should probably get as much recognition as Apple for industrial achievement, but credit to both for bringing it to market in volume.

• Reply 38 of 237
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

People still think this?

In early 2010, Samsung released Bada.  It had a drop down notification pane with quick toggles for bluetooth, WiFi, silent mode.  It had copy- paste, multi-tasking, WiFi hotspot and tethering.  iOS and the iPhone 4 had none of these things until November that year.

Apple didn't develop or invent the fingerprint sensor tech, they bought an Israeli company, PrimeSense, that had done so, but magically, it becomes an Apple 'innovation'.

Apple didn't innovate with retina screens either - Samsung had a 301 ppi screen in their S8000 Jet in June 2009.

Apple is extremely good at spotting great Ideas and making them theirs.

• Reply 39 of 237
    Wish they would have instead found a better way than Apple's to reliably id a user. But no, innovation is too expensive, too uncertain, copying Apple is much easier and less of a risk. What a shame. Especially for such a large company.
  • Reply 40 of 237

People still THINK this?!