Morgan Stanley sees Apple's strong holiday sales continuing into 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Jewish population is ~2% of US population, and Orthodox Christians < 0.5%. Not sure that the aggregate numbers there matter a whole lot.

This is probably far more important....

Sorry OT but ... Wow I just checked, you are correct. I am quite surprised what a low number that is for the Jewish population. I sure live in a part of Florida with vastly different numbers!
  • Reply 22 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Sorry OT but ... Wow I just checked, you are correct. I am quite surprised what a low number that is for the Jewish population. I sure live in a part of Florida with vastly different numbers!

And many of those were originally from NY.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That number might rise a fraction... some Jews have decided that Europe might not be the best place to live right now.

• Reply 24 of 46
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And many of those were originally from NY.

That would be true judging by the accents lol.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    That number might rise a fraction... some Jews have decided that Europe might not be the best place to live right now.

Well I figured that out 25 years ago and I'm an atheist not religious (sorry i forget that isn't an accepted position in the USA, in the UK it was almost the same as C of E lol).
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Since they've only recently caught up with demand the sales after Christmas could be attributed to people finally getting a iPhone after waiting so many months, and not necessarily because of the holidays.

True but I still think the rant from Mr. Frost was based on a miss read of the headline.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Since they've only recently caught up with demand the sales after Christmas could be attributed to people finally getting a iPhone after waiting so many months, and not necessarily because of the holidays.

True but I still think the rant from Mr. Frost was based on a miss read of the headline.

Rant?

Be thankful I'm not your mother, or I'd have your guts for garters.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Rant?

Be thankful I'm not your mother, or I'd have your guts for garters.

Guts for garters? Never heard that one before, I like it.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Guts for garters? Never heard that one before, I like it.

A very common English saying. I must say I have't heard it for a very long time. In this case used totally incorrectly. They say cold war Soviet spies were often unmasked when, despite their in-depth training, they slipped up on idioms and metaphors. Methinks Ben is a S. Korean. :D
  • Reply 30 of 46
    A very common English saying. I must say I have't heard it for a very long time. In this case used totally incorrectly. They say cold war Soviet spies were often unmasked when, despite their in depth training, they slipped up on idioms and metaphors. Methinks Ben is a S. Korean. :D

So what would be the correct usage?
  • Reply 31 of 46

Simply a threat of a serious reprisal. Based back when they still had 'hanged, drawn and quartered' on the menu. If stating he was on a rant elicited that response I'd say he over reacted, let alone suggesting his mother would want to be involved.

Well you did ask ;)
  • Reply 32 of 46
    A very common English saying. I must say I have't heard it for a very long time. In this case used totally incorrectly. They say cold war Soviet spies were often unmasked when, despite their in depth training, they slipped up on idioms and metaphors. Methinks Ben is a S. Korean. :D

My usage was correct, despite digitalclip's protestations to the contrary.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Simply a threat of a serious reprisal. Based back when they still had 'hanged, drawn and quartered' on the menu. If stating he was on a rant elicited that response I'd say he over reacted, let alone suggesting his mother would want to be involved.

Well you did ask ;)

That's exactly what it sounded like. ;)
    My usage was correct, despite digitalclip's protestations to the contrary.

I concur.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    That's exactly what it sounded like. ;)
    I concur.

Ok, so if pointing out his inability to comprehend the headline leads him to barbaric torture fantasies and threats carried out by him masquerading as my mother doesn't paint this character as unhinged I don't know what does.

... concur away!

Are physical threats allowed under the AI guide lines? ;)
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Ok, so if pointing out his inability to comprehend the headline leads him to barbaric torture fantasies and threats carried out by him masquerading as my mother doesn't paint this character as unhinged I don't know what does.

... concur away!

He understood it fine. He just seems to omit Hanukkah from the holidays, as if Jews avoid Apple devices the way they avoid pork. He did also say 'if' he was your mother. I personally would've said father, but that's me
  • Reply 36 of 46
    He understood it fine. He just seems to omit Hanukkah from the holidays, as if Jews avoid Apple devices the way they avoid pork. He did also say 'if' he was your mother. I personally would've said father, but that's me

Humor aside, why don't we ask the writer of the article:

"Morgan Stanley sees Apple's strong holiday sales continuing into 2015"

Does this mean sales continue as good as they were during the holidays? ... My contention

Or

As Ben's rant took it to mean ... and I quote "We are now post-Christmas, so, by definition, Apple cannot continue their Christmas sales."

Any discussion about political correctness is not at issue. If that is your angle then it is not what my initial response was about.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Then Morgan Stanley are wrong.

By holiday, they mean Christmas, but are using weaselly politically-correct language. We are now post-Christmas, so, by definition, Apple cannot continue their Christmas sales.

They're now MLK Day sales followed by Presidents Day sales - all holidays here in the states.

Don't ask. 

• Reply 38 of 46
    Humor aside, why don't we ask the writer of the article:

"Morgan Stanley sees Apple's strong holiday sales continuing into 2015"

Does this mean sales continue as good as they were during the holidays? ... My contention

Or

As Ben's rant took it to mean ... and I quote "We are now post-Christmas, so, by definition, Apple cannot continue their Christmas sales."

Any discussion about political correctness is not at issue. If that is your angle then it is not what my initial response was about.

The wording could've been better. 'Holiday-like sales continue' maybe.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    The wording could've been better. 'Holiday-like sales continue' maybe.

So you 'concur' with my interpretation?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    So you 'concur' with my interpretation?

Yes