Taking a page from Apple's book, Microsoft to make Windows 10 a free upgrade

Comments

• Reply 101 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Anyone finished yesterdays' webinar? It looks like the surface table is back, but now on the wall:

More "professionals" drawing circles on displays... Good lord. Clearly their input was invaluable to the project.  /s

• Reply 102 of 122
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MediaPlex View Post

What a slap in the face to everyone who wasted money on that garbage Windows 8.......  Now I can get a piece of garbage Win 10 upgrade from my beautiful Win 7 for free.

But I wont.  You couldnt give my that crap for free.  Keep it Microsoft.  You are OFFICIALLY lost.

There's nothing wrong with Windows 8 if you get rid of the Metro UI. That takes literally 10 seconds to google a solution to, which is free, and it looks and acts exactly like Windows 7 but everything is faster. Windows 10 will also have DirectX12 which will be much better for graphics and GPU intensive applications. It really makes me think that absolutely none of you actually use Windows or even own anything with Windows on it because you complain about things that are fixed with less than 10 seconds of searching for the answer. Windows 8 and 8.1 are great OSes you just have to spend 10 seconds to get rid of the things you don't like and you'll never see them again.

• Reply 103 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Where are you seeing that? This is the text from Microsoft's site. The * footnote is just about compatibility, etc.

I read that as it will be free if you upgrade within the first year that Windows 10 is on the market. If you wait until after that first year, you will have to pay. Once you get the free upgrade, it will be free for the supported lifetime of the device it is running on. 

Not sure where you are getting the subscription fee from. Looks like they will have a fee, but that is for folks that are late to the party. Looks like they are trying to entice people to upgrade to Windows 10 sooner rather than later.

He's getting the sub fee from the fact that he couldn't be bothered to actually know anything, it's easier to be the typical internet commentor and say things out of their asses. Windows is not going to be a subscription fee after a year, you have a year to upgrade for free and after that they'll charge for a license.

• Reply 104 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I checked out the minutes of the intro.  They didn't mention anything - that I could catch - about Windows 10 being a subscription.  There was a very vague reference to it, but it was not really confirmed they were doing that.

The biggest mistake Microsoft could/would make is to have users pay a subscription to use their computer.  I can see a huge backlash on that.  Subscriptions like Adobe to use software is one thing, but to use your own physical computer, something entirely different.

The subscription fee talk was about services. Just like iCloud upgrades and dropbox, if you want their services you have to pay a fee. They already do this with OneDrive and Office365, it's nothing new and they won't be charging you to use the OS. They made that very clear on their own website.

• Reply 105 of 122
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member

I imagine the bulk of Windows sales are through OEMs. This will not really cost Microsoft much since they'll move the cost to something else, like Office subscription fees.

I still see no compelling reason to leave Windows 7. It works well enough.

• Reply 106 of 122
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    philboogie wrote: »
    What keyboard? You simply talk to Cortana. Or use a stylus. No keyboard, no heavy arms from a vertical touch device.
    Just kidding. When I saw that big screen I was thinking window slate. Fun to make fun of their giant screens. Sorry. No sarcasm flag.
  • Reply 107 of 122
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pfisher wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    What keyboard? You simply talk to Cortana. Or use a stylus. No keyboard, no heavy arms from a vertical touch device.
    Just kidding. When I saw that big screen I was thinking window slate. Fun to make fun of their giant screens. Sorry. No sarcasm flag.

No worries.

The thing actually looks ok. I can see this work.
  • Reply 108 of 122
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    More "professionals" drawing circles on displays... Good lord. Clearly their input was invaluable to the project.  /s

If they try to do anything more than that, it'll crash:

[VIDEO]

The price of this 84" 4K Surface will probably be in the $6-8k range but if that's not enough to put people off, it still has the same problems that the table-based Surface had, which is that you have to get everyone in front of it, conforming people to the technology than the other way round. The collaboration would be better having everyone seated with their own tablet and working on a collaborative document in real-time.

If a business was going to get a 4K TV anyway then I suppose having the Windows functionality in there is a selling point but it's one of those things a middle manager would buy and then force everyone to try out against their will. It then gets used once before they all see how little benefit it has.
  • Reply 109 of 122
    Marvin wrote: »
    The price of this 84" 4K Surface will probably be in the $6-8k range but if that's not enough to put people off, it still has the same problems that the table-based Surface had, which is that you have to get everyone in front of it, conforming people to the technology than the other way round. The collaboration would be better having everyone seated with their own tablet and working on a collaborative document in real-time.

It also comes in a 55" HD version; I'd expect it to be cheaper less expensive than the 84" 4K version. Supposedly the two build-in cameras should be enough to get everyone at the table on screen, but since it was pure marketing that was shown we need a real world test with this thing.

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-surface-hub/en-us

If a business was going to get a 4K TV anyway then I suppose having the Windows functionality in there is a selling point but it's one of those things a middle manager would buy and then force everyone to try out against their will. It then gets used once before they all see how little benefit it has.

I'd give it a fair try, without putting the device off before trying it out. To me, this thing has potential.
  • Reply 110 of 122

Great news for every computer user. I hope its better than window 8. Because Win8 is just a garbage. Looking to further. Can anyone tell me when will it launch in India

• Reply 111 of 122
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Win10 looks like a VAST improvement over the garbage that was Win8.

No, they should be paying me to use Windows 10. It’s worse than Vista.

But hey, maybe people LIKE it when applications open on their own without any user input, loading random files on your machine.

• Reply 112 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, they should be paying me to use Windows 10. It’s worse than Vista.

But hey, maybe people LIKE it when applications open on their own without any user input, loading random files on your machine.

Oh, you've used final Windows 10 code have you? Oh, what's that? You haven't? Oh, so that means your statement here has no merit? Your opinion of an unfinished and unreleased OS has no value on whether or not the final release is any good? Oh, that's right. You're just talking out of your ass like always.

• Reply 113 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Serendip View Post

So how do you think Microsoft will make money?

The same way they've always made the vast majority of their money, enterprise, OEM sales and their data center services. Even Apple uses their data center services. I swear, every single person like you on every website knows absolutely nothing about Microsoft, can't be bothered to look anything up and then give an ignorant opinion about how Microsoft is "scared" or "failing" or "desperate" in some fashion. Microsoft knows what they are doing and there's a reason they are worth billions and people like you are bleating on the internet about how stupid they are. Microsoft isn't doing anything but staying on top. Whether you like their stuff or not is irrelevant, you don't know what you're talking about.

• Reply 114 of 122
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    negafox wrote: »
    Source about the subscription fee? Per Microsoft's website:
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

"We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*
    <em style="border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge."</em>

I believe that means that people who don't upgrade within first year will have to purchase WX after that time frame.

Basically they want to motivate as many people as possible to upgrade quickly. As of ways of making money, I think they want to make their unified Market Place as their source of income, instead of selling Windows OS itself. Considering size of Windows desktop market share, significant % of people on WX could generate some decent $ from apps purchase, motivate more devs to focus on Windows and eventually help with apps availability for Windows phone and tablets, too.
  • Reply 115 of 122
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Windows 10 looks really impressive. Looks like they really got their act together. Now they can go from a failing mobile platform to something that people will consider. What a win for developers. Hope it works out for them.

So current phone users might need a new phone. Don't know.

MS has fooled people like myself repeatedly. Whenever they come out with something that seems great it has a big flaw and is a fail. Do they have it together this time?

They always miss the mark with customers. So close but miss it.

Time will tell. This is an awesome strategy they have. Impressive. They certainly jumped through their bee-hinds.
  • Reply 116 of 122
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Oh, you've used final Windows 10 code have you? Oh, what's that? You haven't? Oh, so that means your statement here has no merit? Your opinion of an unfinished and unreleased OS has no value on whether or not the final release is any good? Oh, that's right. You're just talking out of your ass like always.

Uh huh. Who are you, again? Have you used it at all? In what universe does a company completely rewrite an OS between a DP and release? In what universe does logic allow you to make the jump from “this near-release preview is bad” to “the GM will be great”?

Please tell us. I’d love to hear it.

• Reply 117 of 122
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 118 of 122
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I believe that means that people who don't upgrade within first year will have to purchase WX after that time frame.

Instead of guessing you really ought to watch the the presentation. It has all the info you need. Link is in the thread.
  • Reply 119 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Underneath it all it's still Windows.

The much hyped "one platform" is really 4 different OS's under one name. So they want to get their fragmented developer community to make universal apps considering that phone and tablet sales are few and 1 platform is a console?

Am I getting this right?

No, it's not 4 different OSs. It's really just one Windows. And finally, Microsoft is abandoning those basic, enterprise, ultimate, etc. crap.

Universal apps contain all the essential binaries to adapt whichever device one has it on. This would mean developers have to only make one version of their apps and it can be made available to (possibly) all their devices. This would also be great for consumers who only have to pay for an app once instead of having to get a desktop version and a tablet version (and another for their phones). Kudos to Microsoft for this advancement. 

On another note, if people complained about Yosemite's icons, check out this newly redesigned ones from Windows 10 Technical Preview. Were these designed in MS Paint? By a kindergartener? Seriously?

• Reply 120 of 122
    Originally Posted by tronjheim67 View Post

On another note, if people complained about Yosemite's icons, check out this newly redesigned ones from Windows 10 Technical Preview. Were these designed in MS Paint? By a kindergartener? Seriously?

Is that from one of the unreleased builds? I don’t have any updates available on mine.

I never thought Microsoft would make me WANT to keep my current Windows 10 icons…