Taking a page from Apple's book, Microsoft to make Windows 10 a free upgrade

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Microsoft on Wednesday announced that Windows 10, its next-generation desktop and mobile operating system, would be offered as a free upgrade for users running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1.

The change in pricing strategy comes amid a broader shift within Microsoft to view Windows as a service, rather than a product. Another anchor of that new policy is the expansion of Windows 10 itself into smaller devices, including smartphones, supplanting Windows Phone.

Apple began offering OS X upgrades at no charge with the release of Mavericks in 2013, while iOS upgrades have been free since the mobile operating system's introduction.

Alongside the updated pricing, Microsoft also announced a slew of new features for Windows 10. Among them are an Action Center view that closely mirrors the functionality of OS X's Notification Center, a desktop version of Microsoft's Siri-like Cortana virtual assistant, and integration with the Xbox gaming ecosystem.

A new, universal messaging app will also allow users to maintain a single conversation with a person through multiple mediums, such as Skype and SMS.

New Windows 10 preview builds will be available for desktop users next week. The company promises phone-compatible builds in February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That's actually quite clever: if WX turns out to be just another annoyance people can't be complaining about it because it was free.

http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/?OCID=EVENT_SOC_TW_ORGANIC_LIVESTREAM30M&linkId=11851974

(doesn't work on my Mac, but it's a page at ms.com so...)
  • Reply 2 of 122
    Win10 looks like a VAST improvement over the garbage that was Win8.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    That's great news. One Windows version for all devices. It's about time.

So will it be the Windows 10 Starter Edition, Home Basic Edition, Home Premium Edition, Professional Edition, Enterprise Edition, or maybe even the Windows 10 Ultimate Edition to compete with OS X uhm... "only" Edition?
  • Reply 4 of 122

Awesome. I held off on 8 because 7 was working fine for me. To get 10 for free is fantastic.

• Reply 5 of 122
    And most Windoze users (corporate world) will still be using Window$ 7.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Microsoft and Google are going all in on one design language across all screens/platforms. Apple has three now. I hope they take cues from the dark UI of ?Watch and bring a dark theme to iOS.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Should only have Win server and Win desktop. Skip all other craps.

• Reply 8 of 122
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I wish people would quit reporting that it's a free upgrade without reporting that it's free for the first year, then you pay a subscription fee.

• Reply 9 of 122

What a slap in the face to everyone who wasted money on that garbage Windows 8.......  Now I can get a piece of garbage Win 10 upgrade from my beautiful Win 7 for free.

But I wont.  You couldnt give my that crap for free.  Keep it Microsoft.  You are OFFICIALLY lost.

• Reply 10 of 122

I will use Windows 7 until the very last day of support.  Then maybe Apple or a linux variety..  NEVER will I use that metro UI in a million years. 

Microsoft has truly lost its way, first with the developers and now - without a doubt - with the customers.

• Reply 11 of 122

The HoloLens thing looks compelling! Can't wait to see where hologram technology goes. And how Apple adapts it (years from now when the technology matures). Maybe without the headsets? Maybe ocular implants? Or a projection system inside the house?

• Reply 12 of 122
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

I wish people would quit reporting that it's a free upgrade without reporting that it's free for the first year, then you pay a subscription fee.

That's the beauty of it: I think MS finally gained marketing and perceived value as a skill.
  • Reply 13 of 122
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member

What about Vista?  The only thing I ever really did with Vista was update it anyway.  No need for Windows anymore.

• Reply 14 of 122
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That's great news. One Windows version for all devices. It's about time.

So will it be the Windows 10 Starter Edition, Home Basic Edition, Home Premium Edition, Professional Edition, Enterprise Edition, or maybe even the Windows 10 Ultimate Edition to compete with OS X uhm... "only" Edition?

May I add the new bottom end Windows; Windows 10 Free.  

Just pay a bit to get the Windows most will prefer.

My WinXP Netbook is left out in the cold !

Linux is looking better for it every day.

• Reply 15 of 122
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

Ohh...ain't THAT like a "surprise" wedgie! Users as cows that can be milked until they die....
  • Reply 16 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Awesome. I held off on 8 because 7 was working fine for me. To get 10 for free is fantastic.

I think Microsoft had no choice.  Lots of people were burned by Windows 8, resulting in many downright refusing to upgrade from their Windows 7 system.  So from Microsoft's perspective, the only way to get anyone past Windows 7 would be to make Windows 10 "free" and reverting back as much as possible the features and GUI that made Windows 7 & XP so popular.

Windows 10 I think is really going to be the make-it-or-break-it moment for Microsoft.  It really better be an improvement over Windows 8 or they will be essentially dead in the water.

• Reply 17 of 122
    Win10 looks like a VAST improvement over the garbage that was Win8.

But 1000000 x 0 = 0
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Where are you seeing that? This is the text from Microsoft's site. The * footnote is just about compatibility, etc.

Quote:

We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

I read that as it will be free if you upgrade within the first year that Windows 10 is on the market. If you wait until after that first year, you will have to pay. Once you get the free upgrade, it will be free for the supported lifetime of the device it is running on. 

Not sure where you are getting the subscription fee from. Looks like they will have a fee, but that is for folks that are late to the party. Looks like they are trying to entice people to upgrade to Windows 10 sooner rather than later.

• Reply 19 of 122
    Quote:

Actually, during the Q&A after the event, someone asked about after the first year, and Microsoft didn't know what they would do.  They may charge money, or they may even keep it free.  They simply don't know yet.

• Reply 20 of 122
    Quote:

I checked out the minutes of the intro.  They didn't mention anything - that I could catch - about Windows 10 being a subscription.  There was a very vague reference to it, but it was not really confirmed they were doing that.

The biggest mistake Microsoft could/would make is to have users pay a subscription to use their computer.  I can see a huge backlash on that.  Subscriptions like Adobe to use software is one thing, but to use your own physical computer, something entirely different.