iPhone usage rates correlate to education and population density, study finds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Alaska, Hawaii, Kansas, Mississippi, and Montana.

Education and population density?

Looks like a typical big over-reach by "researchers" who need to report something to the boss.

Pretty much. Nothing to see here folks.

UCF in Florida houses one of the nation's top Computer science programs, UF holds esteem for medicine, Florida International is famous for Aeronautics specialties, but I highly doubt you'd call any of those populations "Less educated", especially compared to Mississippi.

Talk about a laughably awful conclusion.

alexsaunders790
  • Reply 22 of 46
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I do, which is why I'm pointing out these states with relatively low population densities, either in comparison to other per capita for the state or by sq mile.

It reads like it's trying to force a pro-iPhone narrative.

Well, maybe they were looking at the OVERALL DATA. You can have outliers, like Mississipi (low education) and Kansas, Alaska and Montana, New Hamphires (low density state).

Education and Income are tightly correlated and income is tightly correlated with Iphone ownership. If indeed people in the north east corridor are more educated (which seems to be the case outside this study), well then you got your correlation between high density areas and the Iphone. Higher income, higher educated people tend to be attracted to dense urban areas which explain the correlation between those two factors.

• Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

It likely is more representative of city vs rural. You'll likely also find the same red vs blue voting pattern correlation. Blue states have high urban population densities, while red states have low urban density. So the more area you have to spread a vote over, the more likely the state will remain red.

So in the case of iPhone correlations, states like Washington and California can be excused outright because the companies that produce phones are in those states (Amazon and Microsoft for WA, Google and Apple for California) will skew any survey. The rest of the states, iPhones are useless outside the urban core, as you don't even get EDGE for most places in Montana and North Dakota.

There's the spread based on 2014's election. 

• Reply 24 of 46
    "I didn't realise that Alaska was next to Hawaii. You learn something every day."

Yep, and Sarah Palin can see Hawaii from her house:)
  • Reply 25 of 46
    This was a survey of people who click on ads.

I rarely click on ads.

I didn't finish college.

I wouldn't have any other phone than an Apple iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

This was a survey of people who click on ads.

I rarely click on ads.

I didn't finish college.

I wouldn't have any other phone than an Apple iPhone.

First of all, your individual usage case is statistically insignificant. It's a nice anecdote, but as important to everyone here as what I had for breakfast thirteen days ago.

Second, a company like Chitika doesn't need for the consumer to click through an ad. It just needs to know that an ad was served to a device. Whatever page that was hosting the ad was accessed.

Third, what a company like Chitika doesn't record is smartphone usage of standalone apps, or apps using other ad networks. This becomes interesting because much smartphone usage doesn't hinge on web browser usage, and there is a big different between Android app usage and iPhone app usage. Moreover, iPhone users spend vastly larger amounts of money to purchase apps. The Android app world is strongly influenced by ad-supported apps, since many Android users are too cheap to pay for apps.

• Reply 27 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    Meh. What insights can possibly be gleaned from this? None of this would be news to Apple, nor would it be useful to developers, IMO.

For me the insight is that there's a good reason I can't find a woman I'm interested in since I moved from Massachusetts to Florida.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    For me the insight is that there's a good reason I can't find a woman I'm interested in since I moved from Massachusetts to Florida.

Think much, much older.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    The daft comments just show how bad some people’s reasoning skills can be.
    First: Correlation does not equal causation. Just because the demographic skews one way, doesn’t mean the highly educated are the ones buying the phones. It just means that among their districts, the ones with higher averages of education, have a higher percentage of iPhone users. More probable is the higher levels of education means higher salaries which in turn affords buyers more money to spend on devices. Given Apple being perceived as a luxury brand, those buyers, for right or wrong chose iPhones simply because they can afford them vs. areas where fewer consumers have the funds to afford an iPhone.

Second: the graph simply shows (and is clearly labeled) the percentage of smart phone traffic generated by iPhones. Population density and income levels are not reflected in the graph. Since Mississippi has a higher percentage of iPhone traffic, despite its overall lower education, doesn't mean manipulation, it simply means that of the smartphones there, iPhones generate more traffic. This could be because there are fewer smartphones, and more dumb phones. Without another axis plotted we can only speculate the reason for this discrepancy and can’t pinpoint the actual reason.

So, either (1) some commenters lack basic reading comprehension and reasoning or (2) are intentionally making hyperbolic arguments, and also failing to realize that iPhone web traffic accounts for much more of a percentage than it’s sales percentages.

The elephant in the room is that either iPhones account for more internet traffic per device than other platforms, given the “low” percentage being 40% & the high 65%. So either iOS users are more dependent or web savvy, and/or they replace their phones less often (consider Android touts over double the sales figures collectively—regardless of quality). That in itself is more telling, IMO.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Interesting map.

I didn't realise that Alaska was next to Hawaii. You learn something every day.

Well, you didn't learn anything. Clearly you failed geography.

It is rather common to show the 48 contiguous United States in a typical Mercator projection and include Alaska and Hawaii as separate entities not in the same scale, placed adjacent to the 48 as the cartographer sees fit for page layout purposes.

This type of map design is typical when the land area is not particularly relevant to the data being discussed. Alaska is massive, Hawaii is tiny.

In the same manner, the Shetland Islands are often represented in an United Kingdom map in a separate area. Sometimes there's a detailed section for Northern Ireland since their counties are much smaller than those on Britain. 

Here's a UK map with similar, not-to-scale elements:

http://geology.com/world/united-kingdom-satellite-image.shtml

He was making a joke. But he missed the better punchline: “So THAT’S where the bridge goes!” (reference to Alaska’s “bridge to nowhere” “scandal” that Palin tent-poled her fiscally conservative platform on.)

• Reply 31 of 46
    Yeah? How about Montana, Mississippi, Kansas, and Alaska, then? They look pretty dark green in that map. I call the headline a misreading of the data.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    mpantone wrote: »

It is rather common to show the 48 contiguous United States in a typical Mercator projection and include Alaska and Hawaii as separate entities not in the same scale, placed adjacent to the 48 as the cartographer sees fit for page layout purposes.

This type of map design is typical when the land area is not particularly relevant to the data being discussed. Alaska is massive, Hawaii is tiny.

In the same manner, the Shetland Islands are often represented in an United Kingdom map in a separate area. Sometimes there's a detailed section for Northern Ireland since their counties are much smaller than those on Britain. 

Here's a UK map with similar, not-to-scale elements:

th
    mpantone wrote: »

You know…I think he knows that. He was just making a joke. As he spelled "realise" with an "s" instead of a "z" he may very well be from England. But then, I guess you know that because you linked to an English map…
  • Reply 33 of 46

Originally Posted by noivad View Post

The daft comments just show how bad some people’s reasoning skills can be.

First: Correlation does not equal causation. Just because the demographic skews one way, doesn’t mean the highly educated are the ones buying the phones. It just means that among their districts, the ones with higher averages of education, have a higher percentage of iPhone users. More probable is the higher levels of education means higher salaries which in turn affords buyers more money to spend on devices. Given Apple being perceived as a luxury brand, those buyers, for right or wrong chose iPhones simply because they can afford them vs. areas where fewer consumers have the funds to afford an iPhone.

Second: the graph simply shows (and is clearly labeled) the percentage of smart phone traffic generated by iPhones. Population density and income levels are not reflected in the graph. Since Mississippi has a higher percentage of iPhone traffic, despite its overall lower education, doesn't mean manipulation, it simply means that of the smartphones there, iPhones generate more traffic. This could be because there are fewer smartphones, and more dumb phones. Without another axis plotted we can only speculate the reason for this discrepancy and can’t pinpoint the actual reason.

So, either (1) some commenters lack basic reading comprehension and reasoning or (2) are intentionally making hyperbolic arguments, and also failing to realize that iPhone web traffic accounts for much more of a percentage than it’s sales percentages.

The elephant in the room is that either iPhones account for more internet traffic per device than other platforms, given the “low” percentage being 40% & the high 65%. So either iOS users are more dependent or web savvy, and/or they replace their phones less often (consider Android touts over double the sales figures collectively—regardless of quality). That in itself is more telling, IMO.

Wanted to do the correlation vs causation comment but you had already done it :)

Fun web site that illustrates this : http://www.tylervigen.com/

• Reply 34 of 46
    inklinginkling Posts: 773member
    States vary a lot inside their borders. Correlating this data at the state level virtually worthless other than as bait for Apple websites to pick up.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Sounds plausible to me.

I should think that the lowest proportion of iPhone owners would be found amongst illegal immigrants, as well as the highest proportion of stolen iPhones.

And that town with the riots last year? Probably 100% Android.

Really dude? REALLY??
    That necessary?

There was civil unrest because a person was murdered at the hands of the government/those WE PAY to serve and protect.

When the government does not step in for it's citizens then this is what happens.

I really HOPE one day your child is killed by a cop because only then will your ignorance die and consciousness be awakened.

I have first hand experience and was beaten by a cop as a child(twice) and have had a cop threaten to kill my family including the dog.
    I lived in a neighborhood where children were raped, beaten and falsely arrested while the media covered celebrity gossip and wardrobe malfunctions.

Heck my pregnant aunt was beaten over a traffic stop causing her to have a miscarriage.

That was all in a time before everyone had a camera in their pocket.

And no, none of these cops were prosecuted or punished for their actions.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    cali wrote: »
    Really dude? REALLY??
    That necessary?

There was civil unrest because a person was murdered at the hands of the government/those WE PAY to serve and protect.

When the government does not step in for it's citizens then this is what happens.

I really HOPE one day your child is killed by a cop because only then will your ignorance die and consciousness be awakened.

I have first hand experience and was beaten by a cop as a child(twice) and have had a cop threaten to kill my family including the dog.
    I lived in a neighborhood where children were raped, beaten and falsely arrested while the media covered celebrity gossip and wardrobe malfunctions.

Heck my pregnant aunt was beaten over a traffic stop causing her to have a miscarriage.

That was all in a time before everyone had a camera in their pocket.

And no, none of these cops were prosecuted or punished for their actions.

Your message started out showing understandable offence to some insensitive comments, but then you prove yourself to be much worse than the OP who was obviously making a joke. Seriously? Wishing someones child gets killed? What kind of person wishes that on ANYBODY?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    We also learned that Montana, Alaska and Kansas have high population densities.

And more educated people than newyork, california,
  • Reply 38 of 46
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

There's the spread based on 2014's election. 

Comparing apples and oranges here. This map shows the outcomes of U.S. House district races within the states. The only valid correlation would be comparing iPhone usage and census data for the same district boundaries.

alexsaunders790
  • Reply 39 of 46
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yes, in agreement with those saying it has to do with affluence, and that education and affluence go together (because of affluence providing opportunity); not intelligence and iPhones.

I'm a bit of a fringe case in this, as I am dirt poor in poverty but keep a house and a few nice things that I acquired while I had some money (never affluence). The car is about to be dragged away as outside my ability to maintain, and my iPhone is an old model (iPhone 4). But I do consciously choose higher quality products when I can, because I NOTICE it and PREFER it. I grew up with the desire to know things and seek knowledge over ignorance, but did not have a degree paid for by parents or anything like that. It's just who I am. Likewise, because of who I am, I will spend a little more to get something not disposable. Of course, now court judges think three years makes a computer disposable and not worth holding up fitness for particular purpose...

Anyway, these statistics are the kinds of things that let people draw the conclusions they WANT to draw and are not useful in themselves. Correlation means nothing on its own.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Looking at it by state is the most useless stat. County would work.

States are artificial constructs of people. Counties are too but are small enough that they represent urban areas.

Oh well.
    alexsaunders790