Huge crowds gather for Apple Store grand opening in Hangzhou, China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Laugh at his amusing Chinese name if you will but he's probably...

(Genuine gravestone in the Chinese section at my local cemetery)

Would be worse if it was One Mean Lay  ... For the name Won Min Lee.  The translation of Chinese names to english is often a head scratcher that's for sure.

• Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Just wierd… Did you actually intend to be a dick, or do you not understand the connotation of your first sentence?

The guy is in major international museums. Maybe you're just not too bright (?)

Yeah, but he's not American, has a funny name and speaks/writes some useless language, therefore not awesome.

• Reply 23 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Would be worse if it was One Mean Lay  ... For the name Won Min Lee.  The translation of Chinese names to english is often a head scratcher that's for sure.

I know it's an "I" but, of of all of the letters that could have been in front of those two words, having an "I" just makes my brain see it as a "1".

What an awesome name.

????
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Thnks fr tht wndrfl stry. Gld to know Apl is dng wll in Chna.

It is far mroe radebale if the frirt and lsat ltetres of ecah wrod is cercort, aapteltrny, but atucoercort mkaes it hrad to witre lkie taht.

Vwls r ovrrtd. image

Nt by th Wlsh.

• Reply 25 of 65
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jonl View Post

I'm going to adhere to good taste and not express my childish amusement at the calligrapher's name.

Wang is actually pronounced as if the "a" were an "o" as in Wrong.

• Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KenC View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonl View Post

I'm going to adhere to good taste and not express my childish amusement at the calligrapher's name.

Wang is actually pronounced as if the "a" were an "o" as in Wrong.

Right.

• Reply 27 of 65
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Wait, it's in the guidelines of the site not to point out typos and errors in spelling/grammar? Seriously?

It's not that you shouldn't point them out, just not in the discussion thread. The authors don't all read the discussion and as you can see, it derails the discussion into not being about the article. Send the author an email:

http://appleinsider.com/contact/

Now, back to the more important topic of making wisecracks about Wang Dongling's name.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Wait, it's in the guidelines of the site not to point out typos and errors in spelling/grammar? Seriously?

It's not that you shouldn't point them out, just not in the discussion thread. The authors don't all read the discussion and as you can see, it derails the discussion into not being about the article. Send the author an email:

http://appleinsider.com/contact/

Now, back to the more important topic of making wisecracks about Wang Dongling's name.

If you insist.

I trust that Mr. Dongling is happy with the way in which his wang dongles. ????

• Reply 29 of 65
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

He's related to Wang Chung.

Ikr?

Crude dude, perhaps some people will never know when to keep their mouth shut to tell the whole world what a fool he is.

• Reply 30 of 65
    richl wrote: »
    I'm going to adhere to the new Apple Insider forum guidelines and not point out the typo in the headline.

Correct. Our job is to admire the Emperor's New Clothes, not point out that he's not wearing anything.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Red Shirts.

See the red shirts? Meaningful? Accommodation for Red China perhaps? *creepy*
  • Reply 32 of 65
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Red Shirts.

Are you being serious or having a laugh?
  • Reply 33 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekCurrie View Post

Red Shirts.

Blue jeans and white undershirts.  American colours coming in under the Chinese radar.  America, **** yeah!

• Reply 34 of 65
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member
    I would love some actual Chinese people to weigh in on this, but I get the sense that Apple adapts to Asian markets much more gracefully than Samsung adapts to American markets.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I would love some actual Chinese people to weigh in on this, but I get the sense that Apple adapts to Asian markets much more gracefully than Samsung adapts to American markets.

Samsung even buys journalists.

How respectful!

But, who are the real dicksHeads?

• Reply 36 of 65
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

The translation of Chinese names to english is often a head scratcher that's for sure.

• Reply 37 of 65
    ochyming wrote: »

That was so insulting.

An artistic career means pursuing a passion already.

Considering the concept of 15 minutes of fame originated with Andy Warhol, I think it was a fair comment. Turn the hyper-sensitivity meter down a few notches.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Red Shirts.

The color red is very meaningful and popular in China.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_in_Chinese_culture
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Can you explain to me why so many Western people are xenophobic and negative about China when actually Chinese including Chinese government are so open and welcoming to Western ideas, people and companies?

Is it just ignorance and irrational fear?

Many times more of Western companies operate in China and their brands are accepted and popular in China while the reverse can hardly be said.

I find it interesting that you complain about the normal regulatory checks of products done by any country as some sort of draconian process when done by China yet Apple is so successful there, yet the U.S. Congress can blacklist Huawei for "security" reasons proven to be groundless while the NSA is surely spying on every country and hacked Huawei and Cisco systems.

Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Maybe look inside your own mind and ask why you have such strange ideas when the facts show Apple and other Western companies doing great business in China contradicting your assumptions.

Open your mind please. Thank you.