Huge crowds gather for Apple Store grand opening in Hangzhou, China

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    [VIDEO]
    Your assumption that if a Chinese name sounds funny in English it's a statement against the Chinese is ridiculous. It's funny because there is an English equivalent that is typically rude sounding. It's bigotry on your part to assume that it's funny to one nation of people because they think another nation is inferior. Wang is funny to English speakers because it's a euphemism for penis. If Wang was a common surname in Portuguese do you think it would magically not be funny? What about Uranus? How are the Chinese people being victimized by it sounding like "your anus" to English speaking children?

Are you and [@] Xiao-zhi[/@] there are no unoffensive words in other languages that would sound inappropriate to a Chinese speaker? Is there any spoken language that doesn't have such words? I'd bet there isn't.

You missed the point. It's about manners. It's rude to make a cross-cultural joke about names or other words in another language, when you know a speaker of the other language is going to have to process your verbal fart. There's no way he is going to think it's funny, especially if he's of the underdog culture. Chances are he's going to be hurt and offended.

Wang is funny to 13-year-old English speakers. By the time you're a gentleman of the world, you should have put away these childish things out of concern for the other, and for your own outward-facing impression of social intelligence.

A tiresome lecture from me again, but I felt Xiao-zhi had a legitimate point, not so badly stated, but ill-recieved.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Marvin wrote: »

1) She looks S. Korean to me.

2) I'm amazed that anyone would be offended that someone from another culture finds your language and/or culture beautiful and/or intriguing.
    Only one of two things can happen to resolve this: either a significant portion of China changes their names or everybody in the West needs to grow up. Sorry China, no deal.

I actually don't think it's as common a term any more in the West so the slang usage will probably die out.

I wouldn't be too sure about that one.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 63 of 65
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    flaneur wrote: »
    You missed the point. It's about manners. It's rude to make a cross-cultural joke about names or other words in another language, when you know a speaker of the other language is going to have to process your verbal fart. There's no way he is going to think it's funny, especially if he's of the underdog culture. Chances are he's going to be hurt and offended.

Wang is funny to 13-year-old English speakers.

1) You're so certain that it's 13yo English speakers and not, say, 14yo Spanish speakers from Mexico? From my experience slang terms cross borders easily which is why I know I lot of slang terms in various languages from various cultures. It seems to be a nature of language.

2) I wonder if you will defend guy's named Todd, Tucker and Kyle…

[VIDEO]

PS: I find that George Carlin clip funny, yet I have no animosity toward guys named Todd.

Xiao-zhi had a legitimate point, not so badly stated, but ill-recieved.

No legitimate point and badly stated when one looking for for be insulted. This is no different than so-called civil rights leaders that do nothing but create civil unrest, but at least those people are doing for it for buck so there is some rhythm and reason to their objective with their invented drama.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    flaneur wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »
    As others have pointed out though, people make jokes about Western names too such as: John Boehner, Fanny Cradock, Dick Armey, Anthony Weiner, Bruce Cockburn, David Seaman, Misty Hyman. Some deserve a round of applause:

http://blazepress.com/2014/04/25-people-funniest-names-ever/
    http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photos/crazy-awkward-real-names
    http://www.worldwideinterweb.com/item/5736-the-100-most-unfortunate-names-in-human-history.html

Chris P. Bacon. Willie Stroker. Harry Baals. Jack Kanoff (e.g are you Jack Kanoff?). Harold Ballitch II (yes the 2nd and also shortened to Harry Ballitch). Rusty Kuntz.

It's unfortunate being on the receiving end of it, especially when you can't anticipate language differences but it's got nothing to do with jingoism or nationalism.

Context is everything. Your examples are probably not from Chinese sites making fun of American names with sexual-anatomy overtones, and even if they were, there is the asymmetry question—the overdog isn't funny making fun of the underdog, it's the other way around. So says any ethnic comedian.

The simplest way of looking at it is that the offending posters are being rude to Chinese readers of this site, and it's out of ignorance borne of cultural supremacist narcissism, or insert your favorite oppressor neurosis. Jingoism is related, but not it, obviously.

Nah; it's just called having a sense of humour.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Thanks for that.

I don't think everyone is like that and as I mentioned it is a universal problem to some degree. Plenty of trolls on Chinese blogs too.

But I don't think its wrong to call it out either.

And no, this isn't going to make me go away or something, better to stand up.