I Bet My Life: Microsoft HoloLens perfectly targets its core competency

Comments

• Reply 181 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

It isn't the glancing.  It's the constantly having to take it out of your pocket (or purse if you're a woman) that's annoying.

I would disagree. I see no problem with walking with the phone in hand or simply pulling it out of your pocket. I have never heard anyone complain about having to pull out an iPhone. It's something they want to do. I feel like you, and smartwatch advocates, are trying to solve a problem which doesn't even exist.

• Reply 182 of 258
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    Reminds me of how Microsoft was going to revolutionise the music industry with their Microsoft Songsmith software -

Yes, it was a real product and real advert, and it will absolutely crack you up.
  • Reply 183 of 258
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

Quote:

It isn't the glancing.  It's the constantly having to take it out of your pocket (or purse if you're a woman) that's annoying.

I would disagree. I see no problem with walking with the phone in hand or simply pulling it out of your pocket. I have never heard anyone complain about having to pull out an iPhone. It's something they want to do. I feel like you, and smartwatch advocates, are trying to solve a problem which doesn't even exist.

You are completely free to feel however you like about the process of checking your phone, but don't try to project those views onto everyone else. There are countless situations when glancing at a watch is less cumbersome / less distracting / more socially acceptable / more discreet, and when a touch notification on the wrist is easier to detect and/or less intrusive than a vibrating or ringing phone.

• Reply 184 of 258
    On the topic of convenience, I find myself constantly checking my watch, even for things it doesn't display, such as weather and available networks. It's far more convenient than having to fish your phone out of your pocket every time, especially if you're wearing jeans and/or sitting down or even driving.

It may be because I use both a digital watch and a Samsung Gravity Txt (one of those cheesy slidey-keyboard phones) that I am unaccustomed to having to charge my devices daily, with the exception of my laptop, though it rarely leaves the house. But even so, I imagine it would greatly affect the convenience of any device to have to consistently remove it from your person and set it aside to charge. I hope Apple finds some solution to this battery life issue, because I suspect it'd be a major turn-off for most people
  • Reply 185 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamitzyot View Post

On the topic of convenience, I find myself constantly checking my watch, even for things it doesn't display, such as weather and available networks. It's far more convenient than having to fish your phone out of your pocket every time, especially if you're wearing jeans and/or sitting down or even driving.

It may be because I use both a digital watch and a Samsung Gravity Txt (one of those cheesy slidey-keyboard phones) that I am unaccustomed to having to charge my devices daily, with the exception of my laptop, though it rarely leaves the house. But even so, I imagine it would greatly affect the convenience of any device to have to consistently remove it from your person and set it aside to charge. I hope Apple finds some solution to this battery life issue, because I suspect it'd be a major turn-off for most people

I think you summed it up well - though not ideal, for those who are accustomed to charging devices every night it will not be a big deal, while for others who are not, it will require adjustment and probably will feel like a significant negative. How many fall into those two categories remains to be seen.

• Reply 186 of 258
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

You are completely free to feel however you like about the process of checking your phone, but don't try to project those views onto everyone else. There are countless situations when glancing at a watch is less cumbersome / less distracting / more socially acceptable / more discreet, and when a touch notification on the wrist is easier to detect and/or less intrusive than a vibrating or ringing phone.

As a opposed to a vibrating watch on your wrist with your hand on a table? I'm sure that would be more "socially acceptable". Why in the world would someone pay $500 just to glance at a notification for those "situations when glancing at a watch is less cumbersome" may just be beyond me. Like I said, I've heard no one in person, nor read an article anywhere, where someone complained about actually having to use their iPhones by pulling it out. I feel as if this is just a made up solution to a nonexistent problem.

• Reply 187 of 258
    Quote:

As a opposed to a vibrating watch on your wrist with your hand on a table? I'm sure that would be more "socially acceptable". Why in the world would someone pay $500 just to glance at a notification for those "situations when glancing at a watch is less cumbersome" may just be beyond me. Like I said, I've heard no one in person, nor read an article anywhere, where someone complained about actually having to use their iPhones by pulling it out. I feel as if this is just a made up solution to a nonexistent problem.

Sometimes you don't know what you want until you have it or tried it.  Before the iPhone came along, people were happy with their Nokias, Blackberry phones and Palm Treos.  They didn't feel they needed more.  When the iPhone hit the scene, that all went out the window.

• Reply 188 of 258
    Quote:

Quote:

Having been using a watch for that purpose for the past year, I can tell you that from my perspective, yes, the watch is much better in many situations. You are reading those opinions here - are they less valid than the many people you have spoken to on this issue, or all the articles that you have read on the subject? And I think you will find that the asking price for the iWatch buys you a lot more than just notifications from your phone.

• Reply 189 of 258
    Quote:

Having been using a watch for that purpose for the past year, I can tell you that from my perspective, yes, the watch is much better in many situations. You are reading those opinions here - are they less valid than the many people you have spoken to on this issue, or all the articles that you have read on the subject? And I think you will find that the asking price for the iWatch buys you a lot more than just notifications from your phone.

You are obviously a techy if you currently own one with there being little market for smart watches right now. You would probably like and defend whatever cool device you buy.

• Reply 190 of 258
    Quote:

You are obviously a techy if you currently own one with there being little market for smart watches right now. You would probably like and defend whatever cool device you buy.

We don't know how big (or little) the smart watch market really is.  It could be that sales are lagging because what's selling is junk and doesn't appeal to mainstream users.  That may change with Apple Watch.  The smart phone market before iPhone came along was small too.  Now it's damn near impossible to find a non-smartphone.  Not just in developed countries but world wide.  And remember, it wasn't until the iPhone 4 hit that the smart phone market began to explode.  So give it time.

• Reply 191 of 258
    Quote:

Quote:

If you think that only "techies" own smart watches then you are sadly ignorant. And a nice little ad hominem to make up for your inability to think of any sensible or civil response on finding that others have different opinions to yours. Goodnight.

• Reply 192 of 258
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Will it have "kick me" written on the back of the head band? Or is that a given?
  • Reply 193 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Will it have "kick me" written on the back of the head band? Or is that a given?

Now that was just unnecessary

• Reply 194 of 258
    Quote:

If you think that only "techies" own smart watches then you are sadly ignorant. And a nice little ad hominem to make up for your inability to think of any sensible or civil response on finding that others have different opinions to yours. Goodnight.

I don't think only techies would, but they are far more likely to own one now than a normal individual would. Smart watches aren't mainstream. Early tech adopters tend to be tech enthusiast. And please, don't say goodnight and run away like a pussy. We're having a discussion, so discuss.

• Reply 195 of 258
    Quote:

We don't know how big (or little) the smart watch market really is.  It could be that sales are lagging because what's selling is junk and doesn't appeal to mainstream users.  That may change with Apple Watch.  The smart phone market before iPhone came along was small too.  Now it's damn near impossible to find a non-smartphone.  Not just in developed countries but world wide.  And remember, it wasn't until the iPhone 4 hit that the smart phone market began to explode.  So give it time.

Well we don't have to know, but we can estimate based on current sales figures. As it stands right now, it is a niche market; certainly that could change. But nonetheless, those who own one right now are more likely to be techies, similar to those who owned Google glass.

• Reply 196 of 258
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gfdsa View Post

Looks like those are real holograms, at least this is not stereoscopic 3D:

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-nadella/

>>>

Project HoloLens is built, fittingly enough, around a set of holographic lenses. Each lens has three layers of glass—in blue, green, and red—full of microthin corrugated grooves that diffract light. ... A “light engine” above the lenses projects light into the glasses, where it hits the grating and then volleys between the layers of glass millions of times. That process, along with input from the device's myriad sensors, tricks the eye into perceiving the image as existing in the world beyond the lenses.

After the first 1000 times "bouncing around", the intensity of the light will be <0.1% of the original source, essentially invisible to the eye.

The HoloLens is complete vaporware. Even if it theoretically uses holography or holograms, then it does so merely using one or more static holograms to guide light, not to create dynamic imagery in 3D space.

Note the companion Wired "advertisement" that states, "Sensors flood the unit with terabytes of data every second, all managed with an onboard CPU, GPU and first-of-its-kind HPU (holographic processing unit)."  [emphasis added] Yeah, right, maybe in 10 years!

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-hands-on/

• Reply 197 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The HoloLens is complete vaporware. 

It's obviously not complete vaporware because there are prototypes for the device. And it does exist and it does work, as evidenced by the many many articles written by reporters who have actually used the device.

• Reply 198 of 258
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hamitzyot View Post

It's obviously not complete vaporware because there are prototypes for the device. And it does exist and it does work, as evidenced by the many many articles written by reporters who have actually used the device.

Show us the holography.

Show us the buttons on the right side that control brightness, etc.

• Reply 199 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Show us the holography.

Show us the buttons on the right side that control brightness, etc.

I don't understand...

Hologram is not exactly the right word, but Microsoft is using it because it's catchy and to the user the objects appear to be holograms. Also, these images are made by bouncing light around to create the illusion of a 3-dimensional object, instead of the standard light-projected-from-behind-a-screen-and-into-your-eyes. Or something like that. I'm not properly qualified to explain exactly how the technology works, but there are several articles you can read on it

And I'm not sure what you mean about buttons? Nobody said anything about buttons...

• Reply 200 of 258
    As for watches I'd be fine with a low energy e-ink like display that fed me email and other notifications from my phone along with an about to slide screen to check weather and some news. At least if you could get a months battery life.

And a wireless charging pad to set phone when going to bed.