AppleInsider's official podcast kicks off with analysis of the week's top Apple stories

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    jexus wrote: »
    Congrats on the podcast launch guys!

DED sounds pretty sweet here particularly. A much different image than is painted in some of his articles.

Also updates, Netflix on Yosemite uses HTML5, IE 11 and above use HTML5, Chrome 37 use HTML5 and the app on Windows 8.1 also streams via HTML5. Firefox is the only holdout atm due to the lack of EME support, which is coming in FF36 I believe for youtube by default(not sure about netflix).

Thanks for the info on streaming services!
  • Reply 22 of 48
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's weird... Why was my positive comment deleted?

It wasn't positive enough. Not enough fanboyism.

It's not business. It's personal.

• Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Used to listen to the MacWorld podcast too until they axed it along with the paper magazine

They didn't axe it - it's still a weekly podcast, now hosted by Chris Breen (one of the few Macworld oldtimers who wasn't fired when the magazine folded) and Susie Ochs (who has lots of Mac experience, having started years ago at MacAddict).

Appleinsider #1 isn't bad, but one of the hosts has some boomy sound in his audio. Also, some kind of intro/outro music would be an improvement.

• Reply 24 of 48
    They didn't axe it - it's still a weekly podcast, now hosted by Chris Breen (one of the few Macworld oldtimers who wasn't fired when the magazine folded) and Susie Ochs (who has lots of Mac experience, having started years ago at MacAddict).

Appleinsider #1 isn't bad, but one of the hosts has some boomy sound in his audio. Also, some kind of intro/outro music would be an improvement.

We'll work on the audio and look into music for future episodes. Thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 48
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Been listening to MacBreak Weekly for years. But have been getting more and more frustrated with it in last couple of years as Andy Ihnatko and Leo Laporte become more and more Android fans.

This.  I stopped listening to Androidbreak Weekly about 12-18 months ago as I too got sick of half the show being about it.  It's great that they like the products, but it's not what I listened to their show for.

• Reply 27 of 48
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Get John Gruber on the show!
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Great idea! I've been waiting for something like this. I listened to it and it's decent. I agree sound quality needs to be improved. Dude sounds like he's on speakerphone in a bathroom. Program would be tightened up a bit with more format and structure, but overall enjoyed listening to it. Will continue to listen as I'm sure it will improve and begin to sound more produced. Excellent!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    Get John Gruber on the show!

Hans Gruber would be more entertaining
  • Reply 30 of 48
    We'll work on the audio and look into music for future episodes. Thanks.

By the way, here are some great tips and tricks for working with podcast audio and developing a workflow.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2138467/how-to-get-started-in-podcasting-editing-the-audio.html
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Hans Gruber would be more entertaining

I don't think that's the insult you were expecting to express. Hans Gruber is one of the best movie villains of all time.

How about: "Live grubs would be more entertaining for a tech podcast."
  • Reply 32 of 48
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Been listening to MacBreak Weekly for years. But have been getting more and more frustrated with it in last couple of years as Andy Ihnatko and Leo Laporte become more and more Android fans. Used to listen to the MacWorld podcast too until they axed it along with the paper magazine, but have shifted to former host Jason Snell's new Clockwise podcast. Will welcome your new effort.

Re MacBreak Weekly, I still listen/watch, however it's apparent that Leo's not taking the time to fully acquaint himself with much that he expounds on these days (on MBW and other shows he hosts) with his whole network to occupy him, and Ihnatko always speaks in looong sentences.  But there's still Rene Ritchie of iMore and the POV of Alex Lindsay who runs a production company with multiple Mac Pros and other gear.

Jon Gruber's podcasts also tend to drift into things that interest Jon which may or may not necessarily captivate those thirsting for Apple commentary, like an hour on Bond films or whatever, though they're occasionally brilliant.  And Joshua Tolposky's Vergecasts don't really grab me. 

So certainly room for a different approach.  All good luck.  And consider a video version.  To me that's not so much about the visual production values, more the added dimension of seeing and familiarizing the audience with more about the voices we're hearing....

• Reply 33 of 48
    I first encountered DED on his blog, Roughly Drafted, which then mentioned his appearances on The Tech Night Owl Live with Gene Steinberg (which I haven't listened to in a long time...I know there were some financial issues and some personal things going on with him and his family so I'm not sure it's still going on) and often the quality of the audio on DED's part was "echo-y" (sorry I don't know the audiophile terms) but there would be some guests on that show that sounded like they were using a cheap webcam microphone wrapped in a blanket with a loud white noise machine going on in the background. In this podcast, DED's audio was significantly improved over his appearances on the Tech Night Owl despite the slight echo heard. I'm not sure what kind of microphone he's using (or has been using) but it is leaps and bounds better than what many remote guests on podcasts use.

That being said, I think there's a bit of a disconnect between how DED writes and how he conveys his thoughts vocally. I tend to like listening to DED more than reading his editorials. I would often skip over some other commentators on Tech Night Owl just to hear what DED had to say about a particular topic. He tends to let more of his personal experiences come through when he speaks and its more interesting to me when he relates those experiences to the topic given his history in the industry.

Just checked it out...Gene is still doing the podcast and DED is still an active guest on it....might have to go back and start listening again.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    bigpics wrote: »
    Re MacBreak Weekly, I still listen/watch, however it's apparent that Leo's not taking the time to fully acquaint himself with much that he expounds on these days (on MBW and other shows he hosts) with his whole network to occupy him, and Ihnatko always speaks in looong sentences.  But there's still Rene Ritchie of iMore and the POV of Alex Lindsay who runs a production company with multiple Mac Pros and other gear.

Jon Gruber's podcasts also tend to drift into things that interest Jon which may or may not necessarily captivate those thirsting for Apple commentary, like an hour on Bond films or whatever, though they're occasionally brilliant.  And Joshua Tolposky's Vergecasts don't really grab me. 

So certainly room for a different approach.  All good luck.  And consider a video version.  To me that's not so much about the visual production values, more the added dimension of seeing and familiarizing the audience with more about the voices we're hearing....

FYI: Topolsky quit The Verge last year and is now leading Bloomberg's online news effort and experiments as an editor. The Verge has further drifted into cesspool journalism and is a clickbait headline farm under the even less capable guidance of Nilay Patel.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    bigpics wrote: »

Thanks, after we got some episodes down via audio we'll definitely consider it!
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Thanks, after we got some episodes down via audio we'll definitely consider it!

I agree. Sometimes it's nice to have the option of a video version to download, even if it's just a Skypecast.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It was good to hear you guys tackle the uptick in software bugs. Yosemite has a particularly nasty one where it will just randomly log you out every few days, and it wasn't fixed in 10.10.2 either.

I'm wondering if it's because the software guys are focussing on the Watch?

• Reply 38 of 48
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    This Podcast is not available in Canada.

???? That's the first time I've EVER seen that message for any podcast!
  • Reply 39 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    "Not available in the US Store."

Cool. That about concludes my interest.
  • Reply 40 of 48

We apologize for that error showing up, we noticed it too. The podcast is definitely available in the U.S. iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/apple-insider-podcast/id963144241