Verizon cuts $10 off many monthly shared data plans, starting at $30/1GB

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
Ongoing price wars in the U.S. mobile industry have led Verizon to shave $10 off the monthly rate of a number of its shared data plans, in line with aggressive strategies taken by AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint.

A total of six Verizon plans will come in $10 cheaper with the new plans, first reported by Re/code on Wednesday. The newly discounted shared data rates are:
  • $30 for 1GB
  • $40 for 2GB
  • $50 for 3GB
  • $60 for 4GB
  • $70 for 6GB
  • $140 for 20GB
In addition, Verizon has also cut $5 off its 8GB plan, now priced at $85. Other plans, including its basic 500MB cap for $20 per month, are priced the same.

The U.S. mobile industry has become increasingly competitive in recent months, thanks largely to the "Uncarrier" efforts of T-Mobile. Most recently, T-Mobile began offering rollover data as well as smartphone financing to customers with bad or no credit.

Verizon's chief rival, AT&T, responded with a more limited rollover data plan, which only carries over one month. But the carrier has also boosted its data caps for some subscribers in recent promotions and plan changes.

Sprint, too, has made its own data plan increases and price cuts, including a new campaign pledging to cut customers' monthly bills in half. Sprint also offers rental plans for both Apple's iPhone and iPad, allowing users to lease the hardware over a period of two years, then swap it out for a new model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

Feel the heat from T-Mobile Stash, now Verizon?

• Reply 2 of 25

Now they're only taking your four fingers, not your whole hand. How generous of them! /s

• Reply 3 of 25

And of course all existing plans won’t be modified to take advantage of this. You’d have to renegotiate and get stuck in another contract, huh.

• Reply 4 of 25

I am not seeing this on the Verizon site.

• Reply 5 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The U.S. mobile industry has become increasingly competitive in recent months...

Yet it's become more expensive! Even $30 for 1GB is ridiculous.

AI, you didn't mention the overage fees. They used to be $10 per GB, but clearly that's outdated information, given the new "discounted" rate schedule.

• Reply 6 of 25

Are you guys being ripped off or what?

I can get Unlimited Data/600 mins for $30 a month on a SIM only deal here in the UK. And I get roaming to the US with no roaming charges!

• Reply 7 of 25
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And of course all existing plans won’t be modified to take advantage of this. You’d have to renegotiate and get stuck in another contract, huh.

Of course they won't be doing it automatically for current customers. You can either change your plan to get the new rates or call to get a $10 credit each month on your bill starting tomorrow. It wouldn't surprise me if current customers start calling tomorrow and customer service reps have no knowledge of the $10 bill credit. 

• Reply 8 of 25
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I can get Unlimited Data/600 mins for $30 a month on a SIM only deal here in the UK. And I get roaming to the US with no roaming charges!

Everyone is getting ripped off some how. In the UK you are getting ripped off in paying for gas (patrol) and we in the US are getting ripped off paying for our cell phone services.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member

I'm getting unlimited* (2.5GB) data / 300 minutes of talk (which I never go over) for $30 in the US from Virgin Mobile. The problem is that VM isn't offering iPhones anymore, to get you to switch over to Sprint's other pre-paid service, Boost Mobile. The same plan costs $20 a month more over there.

• Reply 10 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lustertone View Post

I am not seeing this on the Verizon site.

It doesn't go live until tomorrow, according to the story at 9-to-5Mac.com:  http://tinyurl.com/n9tbkwq

Quote:

“Beginning Thursday, Verizon’s MORE Everything plans with data allowances of 1GB to 3GB (or from $40 to $60 per month) will include 1GB of additional data for the same price. A new $70 plan with 6GB will be available. 

Additionally, for a limited time customers who choose MORE Everything plans of 6GB or higher can add smartphones on Verizon Edge for only $15 a month after a $25 access discount per line. With this new promotion, the monthly service plan for an account with two smartphones on Edge and 6GB of shared data is only $100. Edge discounts are $15 per line for MORE Everything plans with data allowances of 4GB and below.”

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotateleftbyte View Post

Yes, and we have been for a long time.  Its quite literally the price to be paid for the four-carrier pseudo competition model blessed by our very own FTC and DOJ.

• Reply 11 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

We went through this the last time they lower rates. You can change without having to sign a new contract.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

My completely unlimited LTE data plan for $80 a month with 5gb of tethering laughs at this piss poor offering. Enjoy it while you can Verizon, hopefully the FCC is going to clean your clock soon.

• Reply 13 of 25
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rotateleftbyte View Post

People on Verizon are getting ripped off. I have unlimited everything with full use international with my T-Mobile plan. The only reason it's not for everyone is they have bad coverage outside of major cities, but if you get good coverage there's no logical reason to go with either Verizon or AT&T for what T-Mobile offers in comparison.

• Reply 14 of 25
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

People on Verizon are getting ripped off. I have unlimited everything with full use international with my T-Mobile plan. The only reason it's not for everyone is they have bad coverage outside of major cities, but if you get good coverage there's no logical reason to go with either Verizon or AT&T for what T-Mobile offers in comparison.

If you travel a lot like myself, you need Verizon unfortunately. I would switch in a heartbeat if I could, but T-Mobile's coverage is awful outside of metro areas. 

• Reply 15 of 25
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

The people I know who have Verizon have it because of the coverage - they don't have a choice because of where they live.

I used to have AT&T until T-Mo got the iPhone and I needed to cut costs. And AT&T is a sleazy corporation that I loathe.

T-Mo is just fine and I like their plans and their billing statements. And it's easy to get a hold of customer service and have them fix any issue you have. T-Mo doesn't feel like "mega-corp."

• Reply 16 of 25

I have Verizon because of the coverage. Luckily I got an old single line plan that they no longer offer, unlimited talk/text and 2GB data for $60 a month. That same price point now gets you 1GB of data.

• Reply 17 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I have Verizon because of the coverage. Luckily I got an old single line plan that they no longer offer, unlimited talk/text and 2GB data for $60 a month. That same price point now gets you 1GB of data.

Did you not see the price points in the article? $60 gets you 4GB now.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Unlimited "No Service"?  Sign me up!  /sarcasm

• Reply 19 of 25
    reydnreydn Posts: 73member
    No thanks. I'll take"no-contract", BYOD, $30/month, 4G LTE, Verizon MVNO PagePlus Cellular. Will never pay one of the big 4 directly ever again.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Well, ATT give my company 25% discount on data and voice plan. Still, I have 2 iPhone plan with unlimited talk, text and 3 humble GB of data to share for god damn $80/mo after discount already. Current promotion from T-Mo actually $20 more expensive than ATT for 2 lines, 3GB LTE and unlimited talk/tex. I'll try T-Mo when my phone contract ends in this Oct and if the coverage signal and price are okay, I'll give ATT a finger and say: hasta la vista, baby.