Rumor: Apple to hold event this month to unveil Retina MacBook Air & finalize Apple Watch specs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    Hopefully we'll be able to pre-order Apple Watches in March..,
  • Reply 42 of 69
    Honestly this 12 inch iPad rumor and 12 inch MacBook Air rumor can be exchangeable, usb type c, believable on an ipad+ more then a MacBook air(not saying unrealistic, but one port?). Who knows, might be a hybrid device?
  • Reply 43 of 69

I fully expect specs and software to change on the Apple Watch (not that we know what they are now).

... but I'm wondering if there are going to be any design changes.

• Reply 44 of 69
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

My God!

Look at that picture. The new MBA is SO SMALL!

That's an impressive feat of engineering.

That is one ugly watch.

But an awesome looking micro-mini computer.

• Reply 45 of 69
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mpantone wrote: »

Even with an analog watch face, it's still ugly. It's rectangular.

Yuck.

You guys are immune to its main aesthetic virtue, which is charm.

Another way to look at it: it's humane. Or, if you like, it has a good vibe. Also, understated, balanced, clean, unassuming and handsome. I could go on.

Anybody who says it's ugly has a tin eye. Or just bad taste.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

You guys are immune to its main aesthetic virtue, which is charm.

Another way to look at it: it's humane. Or, if you like, it has a good vibe. Also, understated, balanced, clean, unassuming and handsome. I could go on. Anybody who says it's ugly has a tin eye. Or just bad taste.

It's not my aesthetic but I'm very interested to see how it will be received by the 25 to 35 crowd.

• Reply 47 of 69
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

to be fair there were no leaks about the appleWatch

Apple watch wasn't released during the announcement month but 6-7months later because it's a new category. Unless, iPad+ is announced now and released in Sep-Oct and I doubt that, then you wouldn't see the leaks.

• Reply 48 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acatomic View Post

And still no Apple TV? image

My gut feeling tells me that there'll be new Apple TV this time. 

• Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Even with an analog watch face, it's still ugly. It's rectangular.

Yuck.

Cartier is rectangular and it's beautiful....this is like...my wife is beautiful to me but ugly to other people. To one each own.

• Reply 50 of 69
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,304member
    While many of you guys are excited about the Apple Watch and Retina Display MacBook Air, I'm most looking forward to the next generation Apple TV and the 2015 MacBook Pro, hopefully with Skylake chips.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Am I the only one who wants them to make a cellular 4G MBP and Air?
  • Reply 52 of 69
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Retina MBA- cool.

AWatch- Meh.

Retina MBA - meh

AppleWatch - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

• Reply 53 of 69

I'm anxiously awaiting a Retina MacBook Air after having sold my MacBook Air several months ago. Twice, I've tried replacing a laptop with a tablet for casual use - once with an iPad and once with an iPad Mini. Each time, I find myself missing the form factor, real keyboard, and OS of a traditional laptop. The iPads certainly have their place, but they simply can't replace a "full blown" computer - at least for me. Having been spoiled with the Retina displays on my other Apple devices including my iMac, I can no longer tolerate a non-Retina screen. The display is what is holding me back from buying another MacBook Air.

• Reply 54 of 69
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    joninsd wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wants them to make a cellular 4G MBP and Air?

I wonder if they could use the SD slot for a sim card. Then have the antenna where the wifi goes and add the same mobile chip they have in the iPhone (optionally if it's expensive). They'd need to put a software meter in for the data usage and perhaps shut it off when near the limit. I think Apple's preferred route is to just use the phone connection you pay for anyway:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/22/get-your-mac-online-anywhere-easily-with-os-x-yosemites-new-instant-hotspot-iphone-tethering-feature

That helps them sell iPhones too.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I wonder if they could use the SD slot for a sim card. Then have the anntenna where the wifi goes and add the same mobile chip they have in the iPhone (optionally if it's expensive).
    There is plenty of room, in various places for antenna. It is a matter of designing it in. With the advent of Broadwell and SkyLake not far off, there will be even more room.
    They'd need to put a software meter in for the data usage and perhaps shut it off when near the limit. I think Apple's preferred route is to just use the phone connection you pay for anyway:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/22/get-your-mac-online-anywhere-easily-with-os-x-yosemites-new-instant-hotspot-iphone-tethering-feature

That helps them sell iPhones too.

Even though I'm an iPhone user I still really like the LTE option of my iPad. It is very useful when WiFi sucks in the local area. It is one of the reasons I bought the iPad in the first place as it connects just about anywhere. Now maybe the latest iPhones do WiF better so maybe my opinion will change in the future but right now having LTE built into a laptop would be hot!
  • Reply 56 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    There is plenty of room, in various places for antenna. It is a matter of designing it in. With the advent of Broadwell and SkyLake not far off, there will be even more room.

They could have designed it in years ago. They didn't then when neither WiFi nor smartphones with data plans were as common so I doubt they would now, especially when Yosemite and iOS 8 has introduced a personal hotspot option that conveniently shows up in your WiFI dropdown. I have nothing against it being added, I just think that ship sailed a long, long time ago.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    solipsismy wrote: »
    They could have designed it in years ago. They didn't then when neither WiFi nor smartphones with data plans were as common so I doubt they would now, especially when Yosemite and iOS 8 has introduced a personal hotspot option that conveniently shows up in your WiFI dropdown.
    This is all true, but I don't think that they had an awareness of how users use their hardware that they do today. Also with the advent of LTE you now have data speeds that don't suck.
    I have nothing against it being added, I just think that ship sailed a long, long time ago.

Maybe. Apple is actually seeing a lot of success with the Mac line so hopefully this means more freedom to develop new products. Speaking of new products does anybody have a clue about the new Mac Pro and its sales rate?
  • Reply 58 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This is all true, but I don't think that they had an awareness of how users use their hardware that they do today. Also with the advent of LTE you now have data speeds that don't suck.
    Maybe. Apple is actually seeing a lot of success with the Mac line so hopefully this means more freedom to develop new products. Speaking of new products does anybody have a clue about the new Mac Pro and its sales rate?

Anecdote Warning:
    I used to have a very ugly USB '3G' device for my PowerBook. It had a fold out USB female adapter so I bought a 12"(?) USB extender cable so it wouldn't be sticking up 3.5"(?) next to my Mac. Plus, having it Velcro'd to the to of the display possibly made for a better antenna. That was back when AT&T was Cingular and ever since then I've wanted an internal port for cellular connectivity that you could get by simply inserting a card, like they used to do in PowerBooks before WiFi was built-in.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Anecdote Warning:
    I used to have a very ugly USB '3G' device for my PowerBook. It had a fold out USB female adapter so I bought a 12"(?) USB extender cable so it wouldn't be sticking up 3.5"(?) next to my Mac. Plus, having it Velcro'd to the to of the display possibly made for a better antenna. That was back when AT&T was Cingular and ever since then I've wanted an internal port for cellular connectivity that you could get by simply inserting a card, like they used to do in PowerBooks before WiFi was built-in.

Well we all know where PCCARD slots went! The latest laptops seen to have eliminated most plug in ports either internally or externally. Now we have rumors that the SD card slots are going. Basically I think we are screwed unless Apple designs in the capability.

Sad really because I honestly think I would buy a MBA or even a MBP instead of an iPad the next time around instead of an iPad if the laptop had this feature. Tethering just has too many negatives for me.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Anecdote Warning:

AT&T wasn't actually Cingular. AT&T still had its own service at the time. They acquired Cingular. I still don't see it happening in the near future. If it became incredibly cheap to implement and phone companies were willing to bundle data service across all devices, it might make sense. As it is the wifi thing I mentioned last time covers most circumstances where a person would reach for their laptop rather than their phone.