Apple's new Swift programming language takes flight with Getty Images, American Airlines, LinkedIn,

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 170
    solipsismy wrote: »
    ObjectiveCIsCompleteSentencesIsAHorribleExperienceToSayTheLeast;
    ssfnanmetr()
    class ViewController: UIViewController
    {

@IBOutlet weak var display: UILabel!

var userIsInTheMiddlefTypingANumber = false

var brain = CalculatorBrain()

@IBAction func appendDigit(sender: UIButton) {
            let digit = sender.currentTitle!
            if userIsInTheMiddlefTypingANumber {
                display.text = display.text! + digit
            } else {
                display.text = digit
                userIsInTheMiddlefTypingANumber = true
            }
        }

From the Stanford Course on Swift - taught by a former NeXT alumnus with 25 years of Objective C experience

https://itunes.apple.com/us/course/developing-ios-8-apps-swift/id961180099

Check it out ... If you dare!

• Reply 162 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Why would a company like Apple be expected to switch a significant amount of important projects over in a short timeframe? They are hiring engineers for Swift:

I'm sure they are hiring Swift developers, but my understanding is that no established projects at Apple use Swift. Period. Part of the supposed utility of Swift is being able to include Swift-written classes in an Obj C project. 

• Reply 163 of 170
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    gregq wrote: »
    my understanding is that no established projects at Apple use Swift. Period.

That wouldn't be very surprising if it were true but I highly doubt you're basing it on anything remotely factual unless you heard it from Tim Cook himself as very few sources will be aware of every single project they have going.
    gregq wrote: »
    Part of the supposed utility of Swift is being able to include Swift-written classes in an Obj C project.

Why is it a 'supposed utility' when it's proven this is the case? It's a good feature as it means code primarily written in Objective-C can include small amounts of Swift without rewriting the whole thing.
  • Reply 164 of 170
    [QUOTE]
    Long-time NeXT/Apple Developer exalts Swift after 1.2 update

Wil Shipley, a developer whose association with Apple began with a contract for NeXT, has posted two tweets in praise of Swift shortly after Apple’s “significant update” to the programming language.

Shipley says he feels the same way about Swift that he did when he first saw Cocoa on the NeXT platform, and that Objective-C is a “crapshack” of a language in comparison.
    [/QUOTE]

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/10/wil-shipley-swift/
  • Reply 165 of 170

Something missing in that link... namely, a link! ????
  • Reply 167 of 170
    Something missing in that link... namely, a link! ????

Millennial Philosophy: Is a hyperlink still a hyperlink if it doesn't contain a fully qualified domain name?
  • Reply 168 of 170
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Millennial Philosophy: Is a hyperlink still a hyperlink if it doesn't contain a fully qualified domain name?

An enigma wrapped in a conundrum, wrapped in a non-functioning hyperlink. ????
  • Reply 169 of 170
    An enigma wrapped in a conundrum, wrapped in a non-functioning hyperlink. ????

A query, wrapped in mark-up text, inside a transport protocol.
  • Reply 170 of 170
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This one is different ...

I've taken hundreds hours of Computer-related programming courses since 1956 -- And even taught a few myself!!

This is the best instructor and style I've seen!

That sounds excellent. I watched a portion of the old series, but I never finished it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregq View Post

I'm sure they are hiring Swift developers, but my understanding is that no established projects at Apple use Swift. Period. Part of the supposed utility of Swift is being able to include Swift-written classes in an Obj C project. 

It's practically in unofficial beta at this point. Just a few months ago the compiler had major bugs. I think this will change soon though.

Quote:

This one is different ...

I've taken hundreds hours of Computer-related programming courses since 1956 -- And even taught a few myself!!

This is the best instructor and style I've seen!

I definitely plan to watch it when I have the time. I stopped watching television a couple years ago to give myself more time for reading and stuff like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

I sure hope not. I would have expected a lot of segfaults if it was.

You've never experienced an earthquake?

Quote:

FWIW, here's a speed test comparison program I found

I came across something similar while searching for tests and articles with some indication of how people included C and / or C++ code. Both languages have a lot of useful libraries. They also make the non - interface portions of the code at least a bit more portable, or at least most of it.