Rumor: Apple preparing to 'give Tesla a run for its money' with new automotive project

Comments

• Reply 81 of 199
    There must be a lot out there already. Here in Sarasota most people seem to be staring at a phone while driving!
    That's us northern folk, we conspire biannually on how we're going to clog up Siesta Key but we're starting to run out of ideas. A driverless car is our biggest fear!
  • Reply 82 of 199

I can't see Apple coming out with a Car anytime soon.  It's just too much of a diversion from their core competency.  

I see them continuing to expand on CarPlay.  

CarPlay today is like that old Motorola Rokr phone that Apple worked on.  

Think about how CarPlay 2.0 can expand it's reach in a car while still staying within Apple's comfort zone:

+ iPad mini sized device in the dashboard through which you would access audio, mapping, weather, Siri, messages, calls, and adjust the heating/cooling system

+ If they worked with automobile manufacturers to install just 2 Airplay speakers, bluetooth mic and a CarPlay device, they would benefit by saving a decent amount of weight from discarded wiring and controls.  

+ It's pretty easy to connect them to the error code system so that the CarPlay device could read and present the automobile error codes.  

Tesla has nothing to worry about, but Pioneer, Alpine, and Kenwood should be worried.  

• Reply 83 of 199
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    eightzero wrote: »
    Please - no "self driving cars." Self driving cars aren't going to happen.

I find it amazing people still underestimating the rate of advancement in information technology. Of course self driving cars are going to happen. And they will be safer and more fuel efficient. Think exponentially when you consider where we will be in 10 years.
  • Reply 84 of 199
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    The first driverless cars will be quite heroic, if only for the fact that they will be required to cope with so many humans making decisions. Once humans are out of the loop however... child's play lol.

Your conclusions, if this is the case, are quite wrong. Elon actually wants competition. Why do you think that he released so many patents to public use. He has stated previously (sorry, no link, no time) that competition can only increase the presence on the roads of electric vehicles and start to shift thinking. There is plenty of room for several Teslas in there. That doesn't imply that he is happy to lose talented people, which is where the friction between companies would occur. 

I agree, it will be far easier for AI once humans are out if the way. Every Cylon worth their salt knows that!
  • Reply 85 of 199
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    That's us northern folk, we conspire biannually on how we're going to clog up Siesta Key but we're starting to run out of ideas. A driverless car is our biggest fear!

Was that you on on Turtle Beach yesterday?
  • Reply 86 of 199
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't think Apple should get into the business of building cars. The iPhone is basically a personal computer that also makes phone calls. Or a music player that also makes phone calls. It's not a stretch to see Apple going from the Mac or iPod to the iPhone.

I can understand your sentiment. However, Apple cannot ignore developments that might conceivably harm its further development. Another example might be a grab for spectrum by Apple's competitors that could shut Apple out. Should Apple be a telco too? I don't know but they should be aware of developments and I doubt this is truly possible by just reading about it. Apple needs to maintain an active research (and not necessarily development) program in fields that might impinge on business prospects.

All the best. 

• Reply 87 of 199
    cornchip wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous.

Just wait, Apple bought South Korea and now own Hyundai and are taking over Scamsung ;)
  • Reply 88 of 199
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Yes because designing personal computers translates to designing automobiles. ?TV hasn't been updated in several years, Apple still doesn't have a streaming music service to compete with Spotify, their cloud services leave a lot to be desired, software releases are quite buggy, ?Watch hasn't even shipped yet and people want Apple to get into the car business? What next should Apple start designing appliances? Seriously people are off their rockers.

I think y'all need to watch this:

Apple can do it! They have the money to do whatever they want! Apple can go into space if it wanted to!

Designing a car isn't all that hard, especially if you have tons of cash. And those other things that you mentioned wouldn't be affected at all, because no resources or manpower would be pulled away from other projects.

I expect big things from Apple!

• Reply 89 of 199
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Funny how this rumor suddenly appears right after a report that Tesla is hiring away Apple engineers in droves. I’m not buying it.

• Reply 90 of 199
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

I can't see Apple coming out with a Car anytime soon.  It's just too much of a diversion from their core competency.  

If Apple only stayed with its 'core competency', there would be no iPhone (or iOS for that matter).

• Reply 91 of 199
    solipsismy wrote: »
    If we don't have this in 50 years ill be shocked.

In fifty years, if I don't live another 50 years, I'd be shocked.

But that's neither here nor there.
  • Reply 92 of 199
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

There are more safety issues with self driving cars as well. All you need is one accident caused by a bug or fault in the self driving car and whichever company owns that car will go bankrupt. Tell me which insurance company will insure a car that has no driver? How are you going to sue a car for an accident? If people aren't driving the car then auto insurance companies won't have anything to insure because the people inside the car can't be at fault because they weren't driving. Optical recognition of streets/roads/highways and other vehicles would only work if all the roads were changed so nobody could change lanes or speed. Let's spend more time on developing something that would actually help society in the near future instead of trying to copy iRobot.

Let's spend more time simply LOOKING at these new technologies and watch their progress, instead of incessantly projecting future doom by extrapolating from the past. 

• Reply 93 of 199
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

If Apple only stayed with its 'core competency', there would be no iPhone (or iOS for that matter).

An iPhone is a portable computer.  

iOS is an expansion of OSX.  

Even the Apple Watch is just building on what they already learned from iPhones.  
  • Reply 94 of 199
    ppietra wrote: »
    There are studies that show that self driving cars might actually be worse for congestion. Human drive more aggressively with higher acceleration curves which reduces latency/lag specially on crossroads.

It's a software program that can be adjusted.
  • Reply 95 of 199
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Apple can do it! They have the money to do whatever they want! Apple can go into space if it wanted to!

Designing a car isn't all that hard, especially if you have tons of cash. And those other things that you mentioned wouldn't be affected at all, because no resources or manpower would be pulled away from other projects.

I expect big things from Apple!

And that's what I worry about with Apple having so much cash burning a hole in its pocket. There's people that want Apple to buy Netflix, others want them to buy Tesla and still others think they should buy Twitter. Some people want Apple to become a record label. Some people want Apple to become an MVNO or a bank. I don't want Apple to turn into some big conglomerate ala Samsung. The reason Apple has been so successful is because of their focus. Because of all the things they say no to. What experience does Apple have designing cars? And what would they bring to the party that no other manufacturer is doing? Pretty much every car company is working on driverless cars. You think Apple could design a better car than Audi or BMW or Mercedes? Really?
  • Reply 96 of 199
    rogifan wrote: »
    If Apple's doing that than Tim Cook really has lost the plot. Apple has no business building automobiles. It's a highly regulated industry and I can't think of anything Apple would bring to the party. What the hell does Apple know about designing cars?!?

In 2006 many people said:
    If Apple's doing that than Steve Jobs really has lost the plot. Apple has no business building cell phones. It's a highly regulated industry and I can't think of anything Apple would bring to the party. What the hell does Apple know about designing phones?!?
  • Reply 97 of 199

You think Apple could design a better car than Audi or BMW or Mercedes? Really?

Yep.

Apple could very well be the Tucker of the early 21st century. Except the Big Three would actually have to incorporate Apple’s features.

• Reply 98 of 199
    When Tim did a TV interview last year he as asked who he thought Apple's competitors were and he answered 'Google'.

I thought that sounded odd, I guess he was talking about Android, but? Considering the Car idea, maybe it makes sense.

Jonny Ive has said he most wants to design a car next. I imagine the refining of the current products isn't as challenging for him. Apple has the money to go with any idea they like. They are all about saying No to ideas they don't want.

Perhaps it is time for Apple to dream big? Perhaps this is what they chose.

Car manufacturers for the most part, are ripe for disruption. Basically, the electric car engine is a device not so far out of Apple's purview. They could also load it with their current tech. Hmmm. They are studying human anatomy, that fits.

Still, though, the manufacturing of automobiles is a high hurdle. They do have the money. I wish most they would make carbon fiber cars. Wait, they've been studying carbon fiber too.

Probably many companies are studying this. I think once the complexities of a gas engine are discarded for electric, it makes for simpler manufacturing.

We NEED electric cars with range and reliability.

As IQatEdo pointed out, Elon Musk did give up patents in the hopes more companies would manufacture electric cars. Why did Tesla meet with Apple's acquisition team, I wonder??

What ever happened to the battery plant they were in talks to build with Tesla? Anyone know?
  • Reply 99 of 199
    I agree the self driving car isn't going to happen because of insurance reasons especially.
    I personally would not feel comfortable in one. Maybe 30 years from now, maybe, but just one more thing Google has wasted its money on IMHO.

As for an Apple Car, I have long imagined it, in partnership with some top automaker. You see BMW's new ad. They are going after Tesla now. Tesla no longer has the ultra eco car market to itself. More will come. Dont expect the Japanese to stand put either.

An Apple Car I imagine would be some kind of customized Mercedes at the top end and some kind of
    Smart Car at the cheap end. They would cost $5000-$10,000 extra but would sell fast.

My real desire though is to see Apple unveils its secret new search engine which blows away Google. We shall see. They need to do something at the end of this year's Google contract.
  • Reply 100 of 199
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Elon Musk discussing rumours of Apple acquiring Tesla last year: