Jony Ive & his design team esteemed as Apple's heart & soul in sweeping profile

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Note all times criticism of car design pops up in said piece. From Ive to Jobs. Interesting.

Not hard to understand why. 

Automobiles are probably the most expensive physical asset that most people own (apart from real estate). Moreover, they are amongst the most used pieces of technology during a typical owner's day.

Plus California is a car culture. Automobile manufacturers have their design studios for this basic reason.

• Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

It does not take a genius to design a phone or a watch.  

Right...

• Reply 23 of 70

It’s a shame they couldn't photograph Ive clean-shaven and with a smile instead of a frown.

I'm sure Ive does feel burdened. Jobs brought the best out of him, and also relieved him of being the centre of attention. It’s obvious that Ive doesn't like the limelight, which is partly why he thrived so under Jobs. I feel his sadness at the new campus and its association with Jobs.

As to design, I don't think Jobs would have liked the Apple Watch, sadly. He certainly wouldn't have liked the shoddy state of iOS now, at least from a bug perspective. And Jobs would have kept the 4" iPhone as a flagship model, I believe.

We should be thankful that Ive, Jobs and the rest of Apple have given us such outstanding devices that we shall surely enjoy for many years to come, even if some of their current and future offerings have taken the sheen off Apple.

• Reply 24 of 70
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

A nice, lengthy article. I loved the slams of Toyota, who really don't have a good grasp of taste. They make wheeled washing machines.

I think Jony may not be around long after Campus 2 is completed. It's hard to say, but that's the impression I got.

I doubt it. As soon as Ive leaves, the Apple are going down. You can bet on it.

• Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Not sure what to make of this article.  

Ive is getting use to his new position just as Cook had to.  He will be fine.  Even if he leaves Apple will be fine.  It does not take a genius to design a phone or a watch.  People are still clueless about Apple.  It has never been solely about the hardware.  Hardware/design had easily be copied.  Its about the combination of hardware, software, and services that makes Apple almost impossible to defeat.  TouchID is the latest example of this.  The hardware design is awesome.  But it would not be special without the software/services that make TouchID extremely easy to use and reliable. 

It's not about the actual designs that only Ive can come up with. It's a team effort in fact. However, Ive's reputation is what this industry recognized him. So, Ive's departure from Apple is like Tim Cooks's resignation...will have fking huge impact on Apple. Believe me, you will see Apple stock sinks like the Titanic.

BTW, do you think most of iPhone owners care about software? I would bet you that over 50% of iPhone owners ain't give s.hit about software. Yup, ask all teens and women or older people which make up more than 50% about it. In fact, most of their uses are texts, calls and social networks...You don't actually need awesome software to do that for these people.

• Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple operations head Jeff Williams described the forthcoming Apple Watch, on which the company's cachet and stock price --?if not its survival -- depends, as a product owned by Ive more than any other.

Does this claim about Apple's "cachet and stock price" (not to mention its very survival) come from the New Yorker article or from Appleinsider?  There is some weird punctuation around it, and I can't tell if there is supposed to be a quotation mark or not.  Either way, its kind of ridiculous.  

• Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

iOS is a matter of personal taste. There is no one with any taste who likes the Toyota Echo. I don't even think tasteless people like it.

Right....Echo design makes me think of someone redesigned the Corrolla and ran out of clay.

• Reply 28 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It’s a shame they couldn't photograph Ive clean-shaven and with a smile instead of a frown.

As to design, I don't think Jobs would have liked the Apple Watch, sadly. He certainly wouldn't have liked the shoddy state of iOS now, at least from a bug perspective. And Jobs would have kept the 4" iPhone as a flagship model, I believe.

1. That is his smile.
    2. You never met Jobs do your opinion doesn't hold water. I trust the guys that have worked with him for 14 year to have an idea of what Jobs would like. Btw, were there no bugs in ios or OS x was Jobs was around?
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eponymous View Post

Does this claim about Apple's "cachet and stock price" (not to mention its very survival) come from the New Yorker article or from Appleinsider?  There is some weird punctuation around it, and I can't tell if there is supposed to be a quotation mark or not.  Either way, its kind of ridiculous.  

It makes perfect sense. The Watch is Apple's most high-profile project in years, and the first real post-Jobs release; if it flops, it will lend a megaphone to everyone who thinks Apple can't survive without him and cast a pall over the whole operation. 

• Reply 30 of 70
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Loved this bit:

Quote:

Jobs’s taste for merciless criticism was notorious; Ive recalled that, years ago, after seeing colleagues crushed, he protested. Jobs replied, “Why would you be vague?,” arguing that ambiguity was a form of selfishness: “You don’t care about how they feel! You’re being vain, you want them to like you.” Ive was furious, but came to agree. “It’s really demeaning to think that, in this deep desire to be liked, you’ve compromised giving clear, unambiguous feedback,” he said. He lamented that there were “so many anecdotes” about Jobs’s acerbity: “His intention, and motivation, wasn’t to be hurtful.”

I've never looked at it that way, but it's true. At the core, trying to spare people's feelings, n many situations, CAN be considered selfishness, because your priority is what they will think of you, and if they like you. Steve had an incredible ability to cut through human bullshit and baggage. Its what some would cold "acerbic", "cold", or even "sociopathic", but it's definitely a requirement when creating stuff like this. 

• Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

It makes perfect sense. The Watch is Apple's most high-profile project in years, and the first real post-Jobs release; if it flops, it will lend a megaphone to everyone who thinks Apple can't survive without him and cast a pall over the whole operation. 

Jobs has been out of commission of 5 years, I think Apple has answered that question of whether they can "survive" without him. They have introduced many dozens of new products since then, and any one of them could have been a flop, but instead they have been the best products Apple has ever made.  So let's give them some credit. As for the Apple Watch, yes it is a brand new category, but something tells me it won't "flop". But then again, for many the definition of "flopping" will be sales that don't compare to the iPhone, which is a ridiculously absurd metric. The Apple Watch, like so many previous products, will enhance the Apple ecosystem and increase sales of other products also as a snowball effect. There are many that will buy an iPhone so they can use the Apple Watch, and vice versa. 

• Reply 32 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bobjohnson wrote: »

So does this also apply to ApplePay and the new music service Apple is supposedly releasing this spring/summer?
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:

“It’s awkward when you’re dealing with models,” Ive said. “Often you’re reacting, by definition, to newness, or difference.” The new has to be given time to annoy, or disappoint. 

Another pearl of wisdom for all the trolls here (ie. Benjamin Frost, Pazuzu, etc. ) who started bashing the Apple Watch 2 seconds after it was revealed in a knee-jerk way (as well as so many other Apple products), and haven't relented since, having so little humility as to believe in those 2 seconds, they have considered more factors than hundreds of brilliant people at Apple have, over the course of a development process that lasted years. 

I find that kind of lack of humility quite disgusting and repulsive, to be frank. You want to mock and criticize something, fine. At least respect yourself and others enough to try it first, or at least give yourself time to truly understand why it was made the way it was. No doubt every superficial criticism you can come up with was considered during development. Maybe I will also come to the conclusion that the Apple Watch is a piece of garbage- but if I do, it will be after a significant time of usage, as to have the information and real experience to make such a claim. At least respect the obvious amount of deep, deep thought that went into every single aspect of the product. 

• Reply 34 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Great article. A proper in depth documentary on Ive and his world. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the piece but I did take note of Laurene Powell Jobs comments :  - “Jony’s an artist with an artist’s temperament, and he’d be the first to tell you artists aren’t supposed to be responsible for this kind of thing.”, and (Comparing the careers of her husband and Ive), “very few people ever get to do such things,” but added, “I do think there’s a toll.” - referring to the pressure Ive is under.

My favourite quote .... from Clive Grinyer, a friend and former London colleague about Ive, “He’s always been a bit bling.” :) 

• Reply 35 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I love how Twitter is all aghast because Ive owns a Bentley and thinks the design of Toyota Echo is hideous. :smokey:
  • Reply 36 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've found that people tend to frame their comments around what subjects most occupy their mind.

Double-interesting.

• Reply 37 of 70
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I recommend you reading the whole article on The New Yorker. Great read. 

Some remarks on the long article:

I wouldn't blame Jony Ive for making everyone stare to the screen of their phone. I blame the developers who are encouraged by their investors to make the apps "sticky" because they are obsessed by having the largest number of "eyeballs" ... A very disturbing thought indeed.

• Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malic View Post

Quote:

That IS interesting. Historically, Apple tends to criticize that which they are working on a solution for.

No, I don't believe for a minute that Apple is "making a car". But I do believe they could be working on a better driver experience/UX for a car. Apple has already shared as much with Apple CarPlay. I suspect the work on this product lead to thoughts of "Hey, we can do even more here."

Even more than CarPlay is building a car. Car companies won't relinquish any more control to Apple than CarPlay and Apple knows this. What if CarPlay is Apple's stop-gap measure for the consumer and owners of iPhones while they work on producing a car? There's too much smoke here for there not to be something to this. I think they're working on a car. Whether it'll see the light of day is another question. Google is working on cars already, perhaps cars will be the next big battle ground between Google and Apple? Stranger things have happened.

• Reply 39 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    --- Accidental re-posting ---

• Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Loved this bit:

I've never looked at it that way, but it's true. At the core, trying to spare people's feelings, n many situations, CAN be considered selfishness, because your priority is what they will think of you, and if they like you. Steve had an incredible ability to cut through human bullshit and baggage. Its what some would cold "acerbic", "cold", or even "sociopathic", but it's definitely a requirement when creating stuff like this. 

Perhaps you're right, but maybe it's because Steve simply thought products were more important than people. Perhaps that thinking is why I'll never be the next Jobs.