Jony Ive & his design team esteemed as Apple's heart & soul in sweeping profile

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Perhaps you're right, but maybe it's because Steve simply thought products were more important than people. Perhaps that thinking is why I'll never be the next Jobs.

I can think of MANY other reasons I will never be the next Steve Jobs. I don't have to list them but suffice to say that all evidence thus far paints any such event highly unlikely. I have already apologized to my entire extended family so I am at peace with myself ;)

• Reply 42 of 70
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    A nice, lengthy article. I loved the slams of Toyota, who really don't have a good grasp of taste. They make wheeled washing machines.

I think Jony may not be around long after Campus 2 is completed. It's hard to say, but that's the impression I got.

Get out, stop talking shit.

The impression I got is that you would be an arrogant jerk to try to do cheap predictive gossip on this very complex man.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    rogifan wrote: »
    Certainly sounds like someone burned out. Though I would imagine you could say that about lots of employees at Apple.

And you join the chorus of old birds in the shadows. Nice going.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member

From the New Yorker article: ". . . Ive’s view that bad industrial design often starts in ignorance of what a material can and cannot do."

A lot of the so-called "revolutionary" designers (not just industrial designers, but all types) are guilty of this.  One that comes to mind is a certain celebrated architect whose ground-breaking buildings and furniture are all invariably leaking, rotting, or falling apart a mere fifty years after they were built.

• Reply 45 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I doubt it. As soon as Ive leaves, the Apple are going down. You can bet on it.

Why? Are you saying there are no other designers that can take Apple in a new direction without Apple failing? I don't see that at all. If Ive decides to leave I am fairly sure he will leave Apple in very capable hands. He already has a very solid team around him who have been there for years. As soon as Ive leaves another lead designer will take over all, or some of his jobs, that's all we know. I'd like to know why you think Apple will fall apart without knowing who that person is.

• Reply 46 of 70

Well, thanks for posting that, though. It is one of the ugliest ducks out there, especially from the side or rear. It's been out for years, and I never got used to it. Thankfully it didn't sell well.
  • Reply 47 of 70

If I somehow had the power of invisibility, the first thing I would sneak into isn't the changing room for Victoria's Secret models.  It would be Apple's product design lab/workshop.

• Reply 48 of 70
    tundraboy wrote: »
    If I somehow had the power of invisibility, the first thing I would sneak into isn't the changing room for Victoria's Secret models.  It would be Apple's product design lab/workshop.

So you'd sneak into the changing room second.

Got it.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

So you'd sneak into the changing room second.

Got it.

I thought that was obvious.

• Reply 50 of 70
    tundraboy wrote: »
    From the New Yorker article: ". . . Ive’s view that bad industrial design often starts in ignorance of what a material can and cannot do."

A lot of the so-called "revolutionary" designers (not just industrial designers, but all types) are guilty of this.  One that comes to mind is a certain celebrated architect whose ground-breaking buildings and furniture are all invariably leaking, rotting, or falling apart a mere fifty years after they were built.

But Frank probably did it out of arrogance, not ignorance. Talk about a reality distortion field . . .
  • Reply 51 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's a tidbit I found amusing:

[QUOTE]Bob Mansfield, a former senior hardware engineer at Apple, who is now semi-retired, recently described the pique that some colleagues felt about Ive’s privileged access. As he put it, “There’s always going to be someone vying for Dad’s attention.” But Mansfield was grateful for Ive’s cool handling of a C.E.O. who was “not the easiest guy to please.” Mansfield’s view was “Jony puts up with a lot, and, as a result of him doing it, people like me don’t have to.”[/QUOTE]

And now we know who runs Human Interface at Apple: Alan Dye. Before coming to Apple he worked at Kate Spade. And before taking the Human Interface role he was a creative director in Apple's marketing department.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    slurpy wrote: »
    Another pearl of wisdom for all the trolls here (ie. Benjamin Frost, Pazuzu, etc. ) who started bashing the Apple Watch 2 seconds after it was revealed in a knee-jerk way (as well as so many other Apple products), and haven't relented since, having so little humility as to believe in those 2 seconds, they have considered more factors than hundreds of brilliant people at Apple have, over the course of a development process that lasted years. 

I find that kind of lack of humility quite disgusting and repulsive, to be frank. You want to mock and criticize something, fine. At least respect yourself and others enough to try it first, or at least give yourself time to truly understand why it was made the way it was. No doubt every superficial criticism you can come up with was considered during development. Maybe I will also come to the conclusion that the Apple Watch is a piece of garbage- but if I do, it will be after a significant time of usage, as to have the information and real experience to make such a claim. At least respect the obvious amount of deep, deep thought that went into every single aspect of the product. 

This is a great post, and I hope Bibi Frost sees it.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

But Frank probably did it out of arrogance, not ignorance. Talk about a reality distortion field . . .

When you fall under the spell of your own reality distortion field, that's potent stuff.

• Reply 54 of 70
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Why? Are you saying there are no other designers that can take Apple in a new direction without Apple failing? I don't see that at all. If Ive decides to leave I am fairly sure he will leave Apple in very capable hands. He already has a very solid team around him who have been there for years. As soon as Ive leaves another lead designer will take over all, or some of his jobs, that's all we know. I'd like to know why you think Apple will fall apart without knowing who that person is.

No one said Ive designed everything at Apple, but the entire team. However, his name and reputation are too big at this point. Once he steps out, the trust will go with him. Apple may have bunch of good designers, but without someone who is unapologetically good like Ive, they're just bunch designers.

• Reply 55 of 70
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    "described the forthcoming Apple Watch, on which the company's cachet and stock price %u2014 if not its survival %u2014 depends"

Really? Apple's survival? Comical...
  • Reply 56 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    And you join the chorus of old birds in the shadows. Nice going.

Er, from the article:
    He was a few days from starting a three-week vacation, the longest of his career. The past year had been “the most difficult” he’d experienced since joining Apple, he said later that day, explaining that the weariness I’d sometimes seen wasn’t typical. Since our previous meeting, he’d had pneumonia. “I just burnt myself into not being very well,”

I'm not suggesting the guy is ready to retire but he himself admits he burnt himself into poor health. I would imagine being heavily involved with the new campus (as well as being co-designer on the redesign of his new house) in addition to his day job would do that. And then tack on these rumors of getting into EV research, who wouldn't be burned out? Go to Glassdoor and the #1 complaint about Apple is work/life balance.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    rogifan wrote: »
    Er, from the article:
    I'm not suggesting the guy is ready to retire but he himself admits he burnt himself into poor health. I would imagine being heavily involved with the new campus (as well as being co-designer on the redesign of his new house) in addition to his day job would do that. And then tack on these rumors of getting into EV research, who wouldn't be burned out? Go to Glassdoor and the #1 complaint about Apple is work/life balance.

Yeah, I meant to get back to this, re WhiteFalcon and fallenjt as well. The whole big-picture context of the article was that this was taking place around the culmination of the most difficult thing he's ever done, the three years of developing the Watch, and (we would have to fill in) the work on two completely new form factors for the Phone, plus the stresses you mentioned.

Repeatedly, the article points out how unusual this situation is for him. The very least we can do is extends our gratitude, support and understanding, and certainly not start rubbing our hands together like an insane Greek chorus in Euripides or whatever. One thing that hysteria will accomplish is that Apple will go back to refusing to deal with the press again, so as not to wake up the sleeping chihuahuas in the fan base.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The strange single quote about a "Toyota Echo".. what does this mean? Out of context it is baffling.

It was the writer saying what Jony didn't. The make and model Jony was commenting on.

On a personal note, a few years ago my wife's Audi A8 had to go in for service at the Audi Dealer where she got it from, here in Sarasota. Late in the day they called to ask if they could keep it over night as they were 'backed up'. During the night a tree branch fell on it in their parking lot. The bastards would not take responsibility and our insurance had to deal with it. One of the reasons we had chosen the Audi was the salesman's assurance that if they ever had to keep it in they'd loan my wife, a Realtor, an Audi. He lied, they provided a Toyota Echo from the local rental car company, National. After a few days with said car, I can see what Jony was meaning. She changed to Lexus after that! The irony that Lexus is Toyota isn't lost on us however, the Echo was well made but that model is just ugly and you need two, one on each foot! :D
  • Reply 59 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    flaneur wrote: »
    This is a great post, and I hope Bibi Frost sees it.

Well said. But I am quite sure all those you mention actually don't believe a word they write. They just troll for a reaction. They really can't be as totally stupid as they pretend.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    slurpy wrote: »
    Loved this bit:

I've never looked at it that way, but it's true. At the core, trying to spare people's feelings, n many situations, CAN be considered selfishness, because your priority is what they will think of you, and if they like you. Steve had an incredible ability to cut through human bullshit and baggage. Its what some would cold "acerbic", "cold", or even "sociopathic", but it's definitely a requirement when creating stuff like this. 

This is why your average corporation is staffed by unremarkable average persons who are rewarded for "getting along" instead of doing their best work, which is what Jobs was after.