Tech journalist Chris Breen leaves Macworld for job at Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Makes me wonder when Apple will hire Jim Dalrymple... :D

if we're wondering what these active tech journalists would do, then you really have to wonder what JD would do -- he lives in canada and his tech blog has been on auto pilot...he doesn't post any critical analysis on apple like Gruber and his biggest pieces (the one-worded yep/nope posts) are tidbits leaked to him by apple directly. meh

• Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm minded to agree with the WSJ.

In light of the failure Apple have had with the sensor accuracy, I think they should cancel the Apple Watch. I think Jobs would have, too.

Remember: for every yes, there are a thousand no's.

what failure? what features did apple announce that failed?

i think jobs would eat a cupcake. i really do. 

• Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

if we're wondering what these active tech journalists would do, then you really have to wonder what JD would do -- he lives in canada and his tech blog has been on auto pilot...he doesn't post any critical analysis on apple like Gruber and his biggest pieces (the one-worded yep/nope posts) are tidbits leaked to him by apple directly. meh

Of course I was joking. It's because Dalrymple has such good contacts inside Apple that he's so widely read.

• Reply 44 of 47
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    are you certain writing & editing are there only skills? I'm not. there are many aptitudes at Apple, programming and engineering are some, obviously, but there are others. 

No... writing and editing are not their only skills. But it's what they have done for 15-20 years and have quite a following from those skills. You'd think that's what Apple would be interested in.

Apple has tens of thousands of engineers.

But I wonder how many of them are noted tech writers? There can't be that many.

Apple just hired Britain's hottest DJ Zane Lowe... perhaps they hired Chris Breen for his musical talents instead of his writing?

Could be... but probably not.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm minded to agree with the WSJ.

In light of the failure Apple have had with the sensor accuracy, I think they should cancel the Apple Watch. I think Jobs would have, too.

Remember: for every yes, there are a thousand no's.

what failure? what features did apple announce that failed?

i think jobs would eat a cupcake. i really do. 

Haven't you been reading the news? It was announced here at AI.

Your comment about Jobs eating a cupcake goes over my head; I don't understand what cupcakes have to do with the situation.

• Reply 46 of 47
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Oh sure. I'm not downplaying Anand's abilities. But for over 15 years he was in the technology publishing industry.

And Chris Breen has over 30 years as a writer and editor in the tech world.

I was just wondering what Apple is doing with these people and their particular set of skills. image

I hope it's to get common-sense advice about how Apple's interface works for consumers. Breen was great at showing the changes in each of Apple's OS X iterations, what parts were annoying, and mentioning third-party apps to restore lost functionality. I hope he can push for more flexibility in the OS X interface.

I know I'm only dreaming.

• Reply 47 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Haven't you been reading the news? It was announced here at AI.

Your comment about Jobs eating a cupcake goes over my head; I don't understand what cupcakes have to do with the situation.

A lot goes over your head.