Apple poached battery manufacturer employees for own project, lawsuit alleges

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    jungmark wrote: »
    I know it's not the same use. But having had that insult thrown at me by adults and classmates when I was growing up gives me my right to not like the word.

The Irish don't like Mick Jagger, the Hispanics don't like Spic 'n Span, the Italians don't like Guinea pigs nor Doo Wop music. Many people grew up being called names. A word has no power over you unless you allow it to.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    Apple is not a competitor to this company
    It's not going to create a company
    Use their experience in battery development
    I think fuelcell for everything I including powering everything data centers spaceship headquarters
    Sooooo
    Poaching is not illegal
    How then to get around
    No compete contracts ??
    Has Apple learned from Samsung that legal wheels grind slowly
    And by the time something happens it's too late for the other company

This will all be used internally never sold to other companies

Then why doesn't apple buy the company

Hmmmmm maybe they tried but china blocked it

Which court system would hear this ???

Apple is not going to expose itself to failure (oooops exclude sapphire)

Interesting strategy
  • Reply 63 of 84
    The issue here is Apple allowed the Mujeeb Ijaz to go out and recruit others from his old company. It sounds like Apple and A123 had a NDA and a no-poaching agreement in place. This guy can pretty much do what he wants however, Apple and all its employee are bound by the agreements including the new hire. I curious if Mujeeb Ijaz being the CTO had a separate agreement with A123 usually people at that level are bared from trying to recruit individual from company. It would not surprise me Mujeeb Ijaz is not also hit with a lawsuit as well.

If there was in fact an agreement in place Apple could be in trouble due to what this guy was doing, I am surprised Apple HR did not realize what was happening and did not put a stop to it, they had to be suspicious when they all 4 people in 1 month from the same company being hired.

Keep in mind it not illegal to target a particular companies employees as long as you do not have agreements in place baring hiring those people for some period of time. I work for a company and we sent a tour bus to a competitor companies campus with a big sign on it saying we want to hire them and would interview and hire them on the spot in the tour bus. This was back in the day of the Dot Com era. We got nasty letters form the competitor telling us we are not allow to do this, but we ignored them and kept doing it. They legally could not stop us. I know they began to threaten employees if they saw them get on the bus their job would be at risk.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    Hmmmm...even in this context I still don't like the word.

Some Neo-nazis spray painted a swastika on the wall of a Hindu temple, not realizing the swastika was a symbol of prosperity and life in Hinduism. Context is everything.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Some Neo-nazis spray painted a swastika on the wall of a Hindu temple, not realizing the swastika was a symbol of prosperity and life in Hinduism. Context is everything.

Don't the Swastika's go a different direction?
  • Reply 66 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The Irish don't like Mick Jagger, the Hispanics don't like Spic 'n Span, the Italians don't like Guinea pigs nor Doo Wop music. Many people grew up being called names. A word has no power over you unless you allow it to.

You're more familiar with these terms than I am.
    solipsismy wrote: »

They do.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    solipsismy wrote: »

No they don't. The Nazi version is turned by 45° clockwise.

• Reply 68 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    You're more familiar with these terms than I am.

Ahhhh growing up in NYC, where we loved the neighbors we hated.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

It would not surprise me Mujeeb Ijaz is not also hit with a lawsuit as well.

He is a co-defendant (with Apple and the other former A123 employees) in the current suit.

• Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

You don't like "chink"?  As in "A chink in his armor"?  Possibly because you think it originates from an ethnic slur.  But it doesn't.  It's derived from the word "chine" which is a narrow ravine created by running water.  Just because a word sounds like it might be of an offensive origin does not grant you the privilege of taking offense at it. It's just a homonym. Next thing, you'll be taking offense at the word "niggardly".

There's a story of a professor getting fired for using that word because the public was incensed thinking he was being racist. I wish I were making that up.

• Reply 71 of 84
    Hmmmm...even in this context I still don't like the word.

It's perfectly fine if you don't want to like the way particular letters are formed or the phonemes that make up the sound of a word, but are you saying that no one should use the word chink to mean "a narrow opening or crack, typically one that admits light" because you are only able to make a derogative association with the spelling and/or phoneme grouping?
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Apple is not a competitor to this company

It's not going to create a company

Use their experience in battery development

I think fuelcell for everything I including powering everything data centers spaceship headquarters

Sooooo

Poaching is not illegal

How then to get around

No compete contracts ??

Has Apple learned from Samsung that legal wheels grind slowly

And by the time something happens it's too late for the other company

This will all be used internally never sold to other companies

Then why doesn't apple buy the company

Hmmmmm maybe they tried but china blocked it

Which court system would hear this ???

Apple is not going to expose itself to failure (oooops exclude sapphire)

Interesting strategy

There's a wonderful invention called the full stop (or period). It makes reading easier.

You might like to try it some time.

• Reply 73 of 84
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member

There's a wonderful invention called the full stop (or period). It makes reading easier.

Hey ben fronst 

i'm sorry about not using stops.... my right hand is bum and i had to  use my left hand

when i get my right hand back i won't have to use just one finger

point (.) taken

non compete are against competitors how is apple its competitor?

• Reply 74 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Hey ben fronst 

i'm sorry about not using stops.... my right hand is bum and i had to  use my left hand

when i get my right hand back i won't have to use just one finger

point (.) taken

non compete are against competitors how is apple its competitor?

Consider me humbled. I hope your right hand gets better soon!

As to your question: I'm afraid that I can't give you an opinion. Better minds than mine here may be able to enlighten you.

• Reply 75 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I recently read how the period is being used less and less by the Internet literati. Language is also becoming less colorful. It's sad really.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I recently read how the period is being used less and less by the Internet literati. Language is also becoming less colorful. It's sad really.

Indeed.

There's an irony in that social media is probably contributing to the decimation of one of the most expressive modes of communication. We don't read, talk or write enough.

I would like a revival of varied insults. People these days have such a limited vocabulary of curses. Ideally, of course, one would never resort to such words, but there are so many more interesting ways of saying f***. Asterix is a good example of varied insults and language, I think. Truly, we live in a very dull age when it comes to language. So bland and sterile. I try to mix things up a little, but unless everyone does, it becomes hard to sustain. 

• Reply 77 of 84
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

The other defendants in the suit (the employees who moved to apple) signed non-compete (won't work for a competitor), non-disclosure (won't divulge secrets), and non-solicitation (won't recruit from the old company) agreements. I believe the suit is claiming that Apple motivated them to break all three.

Non-compete (and possibly non-solicitation) is hard to enforce in many jurisdictions (e.g. California), but the suit is in Massachusetts, where, presumably, they can be enforced.

I kind of hope it's thrown out. Non-compete clauses are one of the most ridiculous things, intended to lock employees to a job and limit future leverage as long as they can be considered valuable to an employer. NDAs are different, but I wonder if they actually took company IP with them.

• Reply 78 of 84
    Money talks, BS walks. Of you are offered a 50% pay raise to go work for the worlds most successful corporation how long would you think about it? There is no legal way to prevent poaching of your employees other than offering them better wages and benefits. These same companies would be the first to lay you off when the going gets tough.
  • Reply 79 of 84

Indeed.

There's an irony in that social media is probably contributing to the decimation of one of the most expressive modes of communication. We don't read, talk or write enough.

I would like a revival of varied insults. People these days have such a limited vocabulary of curses. Ideally, of course, one would never resort to such words, but there are so many more interesting ways of saying f***. Asterix is a good example of varied insults and language, I think. Truly, we live in a very dull age when it comes to language. So bland and sterile. I try to mix things up a little, but unless everyone does, it becomes hard to sustain. 

I believe the word you were searching for is "asterisk", unless you were referring to Asterix and Obelix?
  • Reply 80 of 84

Indeed.

I believe the word you were searching for is "asterisk", unless you were referring to Asterix and Obelix?

No; I meant Asterix! Inventive word-play.