Apple closes in on $775B market cap, now twice as large as No. 2 Exxon Mobil

Comments

• Reply 61 of 125
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

Apple is now twice as ubiquitous as gasoline.

If, as I suspect, Apple's future growth will be driven by energy and not transportation, this is only the beginning.

The only industry more ripe for disruption than transport, is energy.

There's a reason they call them fossil fuels.

• Reply 62 of 125
    slurpy wrote: »
    solipsismy wrote: »

I don't see how the **** people can say these look "hideous". They look pretty damn gorgeous to me. The link bracelet and white band ones look particularly nice. The former looks classy as ****. Apple is going to make absolute killing with these, especially the bands. I can see people buying multiple bands per watch, especially with how easy it is to switch them up. That was an absolute stroke of genius.  

A snot-coloured watch strap is 'damn gorgeous'?

Each to their own. We're all entitled to love the colour of snot, if we so wish.
  • Reply 63 of 125
    sog35 wrote: »
    But that was during the .com bubble when everything was inflated.

It may not seem like it, but prices are vastly inflated today thanks to Fed monetary policy. The stock market may be teetering near a collapse that will make 2008 look like child's play. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are headed for another massive crash at some point relatively soon

Groan. There we go again....

If you really think that, just buy a cabin in the mountains, and spare us the angst. You've been steadfastly and shamelessly wrong for six years. But I am sure you'll be 'right' some day, like a broken clock is. But not for the reasons you think.

I'd be surprised if we don't have a major worldwide crash in 2015 or 2016.
  • Reply 64 of 125
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And when AAPL exceeds $843 billion (Microsoft’s “adjusted for inflation” peak) the usual suspects will come up with another yes-but reason Microsoft still wins. I read an article to day by some asshole at Business Insider who pointed out that, adjusted for inflation, the Dutch East India Company was worth over $7 Trillion at its peak around the year 1679. Yes, they will stoop that low to denigrate Apple. They simply WILL NOT accept that Apple is a successful company. 

It is no different in sports, people are aways looking for reasons to say a new record is not valid because the person who first set it did at a time when things were different and todays record was only accomplish because a long list of things that the first record holder did have to his advantage. No one want their hero record broken that is for sure, and 20 yrs from now the next raising star will have to content with what Apple did and always be compared to them.
  • Reply 65 of 125

I am sure you're a far better astrologer than I am.
  • Reply 66 of 125
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

everyone talks about the weather but nobody does anything

• Reply 67 of 125

Astrology has nothing to do with it. Just history.
  • Reply 68 of 125
    Groan. There we go again....

If you really think that, just buy a cabin in the mountains, and spare us the angst. You've been steadfastly and shamelessly wrong for six years. But I am sure you'll be 'right' some day, like a broken clock is. But not for the reasons you think.

Which body cavity are you pulling that from? I have not been making the same claim for six years. The market collapse was in 2008. Remember? Do you also remember the euphoria and "nothing bad could possibly happen" attitudes that prevailed? Besides, this is about the larger economic environment, not Apple.
  • Reply 69 of 125
    so have you sold all your stocks/mutal funds and went 100% in cash?

That would be the smart move if you think the market will collapse in a matter of months

Show me where I wrote those exact words. You are also not paying attention, Soggy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/history-repeats--dick-bove-warns-new-mortgage-crisis-coming-154436853.html
  • Reply 70 of 125
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    In 2 yrs time the Watch will be thinner, so the internals will not fit into a 2 year old case.

Check out the logic board in the iPhones. They don't change much. They made a point of letting us the S-series SIP they showed us was sealed in resin. It may have been designed specifically so it could be about the same size and shape for years to come. And so what if it gets more packed, that just means there is more room to more chips in the future.
  • Reply 71 of 125
    Check out the logic board in the iPhones. They don't change much. That S-series SIP they should us and made a point of saying was sealed in resin may have been designed specifically so it could be about the same size and shape for years to come. And so what if it gets more packed, that just means there is more room to more chips in the future.

There could be many types of different sensors eventually...barometric pressure, infrared, additional lenses or lasers to determine distances...
  • Reply 72 of 125
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    No, I don't. In any event, it requires making predictions about a market price, which I don't do.

Also, where did I say 'ever'? You said '2015' and I was responding to that.
    Actually, by claiming they won't reach a market cap of 1T USD in 2015, you did make predictions on future price to an extent.
  • Reply 73 of 125
    ?....  If Apple could just come out with its own search engine, I think Google investors would head for Apple and it would suck just about everything out of Android.  There are some interesting times ahead, for sure.

That's just it. I don't think Apple is particularly interested in search. They also don't seem to want to tear down competing tech corps for defense or any of that stuff.

Apple just does what they are interested in and the chips fall in the direction they pursue. If they really wanted to do the thermonuclear option they would only do it as a consequence of what they are working on regardless of such concerns. As TC said, 'it's a long game' (phones).
  • Reply 74 of 125
    [S][S]somewhat[/S][/S]t'd be great to have an Apple search engine, especially with no ads, or fewer ads. I am saying, that they would only do this if it were in their chain of things-that-make-sense for any given pursuit.

I still think Cook was referring to 'other' projects when he listed Google as their main competitor. It wasnt android, and Apple isn't really doing seach yet, so what was it?

I could almost see the image of a car in his eyes, but then, I'm biased.

It looks like there is some pressure to the stock to hit that Trillion dollar valuation. It seems almost inevitable. Question is, how many fallbacks away are we from that price. These are heady numbers but not out of line or inflated.

Just as soon as we reached 700B the worrywarts came out. There's plenty going on to cause concern for sure, but I stop listening when they start in on Nostrodamus and the whole 'run for the hills ' mentality.

I have my own theory that things must get a lot better simply because things do change and the economy has been down for so long.

Hope Apple does get into Energy too. They could do a lot to change the world. They will do what they think they can master and do well.
  • Reply 75 of 125
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member

I am trying to wrap my head about adjusting for inflation when talking about these market caps. It doesn't make any sense to me when referring to a market cap.

It really doesn't. In fact, Market Cap is a point-in-time snapshot and is only relevant today. It makes no sense to adjust it for inflation. In 2015 dollars, Microsoft's market cap is whatever the current value of their stock is times the number of outstanding shares. period. Market cap is already extremely and appropriately adjust for inflation.
  • Reply 76 of 125
    Business is business however Apple isn't really out to cut off anybody's head. That ain't them. If they cut off somebody's head it would only be because they were literally standing in the way brandishing a weapon. Otherwise, Apple would just go around or change direction. There's no need for that kind of drama most of the time.
  • Reply 77 of 125
    If i was Cook I'd bring out a search engine.  Just buy DuckDuckGo and improve it. Make it a PURE search engine.  Not run by ads but concentrating on giving you the best results.  Apple does not need to make money on AppleSearch.  They just need to steal share from Google.  I'd love to use a search browser that is more concerned about giving me good results than feeding me ads and spying on me.

And i think its coming.  Remember the interview on Charlie Rose in Dec2014.  Cook was asked if Samsung was his competitor.  he said no.  He said it was Google.

Google is the only company that can stop Apple from continuing to dominate.  

Apple is doing search, Spotlight is Apple Internet Search. I use a Little Snitch and it goes crazy with all the Internet activity as soon as you start to type into Spotlight and this is new in 10.10. Apple is now presenting information from the internet in spotlight. Apple is changing the game, it is slow and subtle and they are not relying on Google to find the results. If Apple users can rely on spotlight to find what they are looking for then they will be no need to go to google to do a search. Grant it if apple had a web site based search engine they could cut in to more of google. But all apple needs to do is separate Apple consumers from google leaving only those people who do not spend money using google. Apple does not need all consumers only the ones which matter and are th most profitable customers.

Spotlight reminds me of the days of Sherlock, it was a great way to search the web without dealing with all the fancy ads and blinking banners of websites like Yahoo and and such during those times.

The only think Spotlight is missing is natural language searches and you can bet apple working on it.
  • Reply 78 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Actually, by claiming they won't reach a market cap of 1T USD in 2015, you did make predictions on future price to an extent.

I didn't 'claim' anything. I said it's unlikely. I could most certainly be wrong about that.

Go back and reread the post.

• Reply 79 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Which body cavity are you pulling that from? I have not been making the same claim for six years. The market collapse was in 2008. Remember? Do you also remember the euphoria and "nothing bad could possibly happen" attitudes that prevailed? Besides, this is about the larger economic environment, not Apple.

So, can you provide us any evidence that the Fed's easing is what is causing a market overvaluation today? Heck, can you provide any evidence -- other than the Shiller Cyclically-Adjusted PE, which has been implying that for the past few years -- that the market is overvalued today?

How do the PE ratios today compare to 2008? Why do you think they're high now? The Fed has been easing for a while now. How come nothing's happened yet?

• Reply 80 of 125
    Check out the logic board in the iPhones. They don't change much. That S-series SIP they should us and made a point of saying was sealed in resin may have been designed specifically so it could be about the same size and shape for years to come. And so what if it gets more packed, that just means there is more room to more chips in the future.

So you think that Apple shot its load design wise? The Apple Watch is going to look exactly the same for the foreseeable future? That hasn't been Apple's MO as of late.