Rumor: Samsung tapped to supply DRAM for 'A9' chip in Apple's next iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    pmz wrote: »
    Funny. This is the first year where I really couldn't be less interested in what the iPhone refresh is going to be.

I can't imagine wanting more from an iPhone than what my 6 Plus is/has/offers/does.

I suspect a lot of folks like the wife and I (me), were not really needing more than the 5s last time around but might be tempted by a 7 series as the 5 series ages. I don't know for sure but I would think there are many folks that skip a generation so the next model may still sell well even if, as you say, it may not be a big enough leap from a 6 series.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

For whatever reason you have for not wanting to believe that Samsung will be the major supplier, it's not good enough to pretend that all the other reports say differently. If Samsung meant that they were the major customer, they would have said so. We know that they will be using their own chip in the S6, because they said so. But the sales of the S6 will be again dwarfed by Apple's sales. It is not the major customer they're talking about, and no one else would believe that it is.

We know which chip Samsung will be using. This is old news. Go to Anandtech and read about it there in some detail.

If you're wrong, you will have no choice but to admit it. But while it's always possible that Barron's is right, from what we know now, it's not likely.

One thing you will now learn about me is I am unafraid to admit being wrong when I am proven wrong.

I am looking forward to Samsung's announcement Sunday. And, looking more to the next iPhone. I truly doubt Samsung has won the A9 as so many rumors have indicated. Nearly all of the rumors are from unnamed sources at Samsung. Similar rumors about the A8 were published by Samsung until the rumors were proven false. The months of the A9 rumors sync with the months of the A8 rumors a year ago. Whenever some Samsung event is about to happen, a new rumor surfaces that Samsung has won a multi-billion $$$ Apple contract. Today's rumor syncs perfectly with the announcement of the next Samsung phone.

• Reply 23 of 57
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Funny. This is the first year where I really couldn't be less interested in what the iPhone refresh is going to be.

I can't imagine wanting more from an iPhone than what my 6 Plus is/has/offers/does.

the 6+ is gonna be obsolete in a few months. The A9 will run circles around it. Not to mention a much better camera, and hopefully a subtle redesign and a much stronger build quality. 

• Reply 24 of 57
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

It will probably be a speed release. Maybe better Touch ID improvements. I bet haptic feedback is next year.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I suspect a lot of folks like the wife and I (me), were not really needing more than the 5s last time around but might be tempted by a 7 series as the 5 series ages. I don't know for sure but I would think there are many folks that skip a generation so the next model may still sell well even if, as you say, it may not be a big enough leap from a 6 series.

Yes. Cook said that about 15% of iPhone users were using the 6 or 6+ end December.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

One thing you will now learn about me is I am unafraid to admit being wrong when I am proven wrong.

I am looking forward to Samsung's announcement Sunday. And, looking more to the next iPhone. I truly doubt Samsung has won the A9 as so many rumors have indicated. Nearly all of the rumors are from unnamed sources at Samsung. Similar rumors about the A8 were published by Samsung until the rumors were proven false. The months of the A9 rumors sync with the months of the A8 rumors a year ago. Whenever some Samsung event is about to happen, a new rumor surfaces that Samsung has won a multi-billion $$$ Apple contract. Today's rumor syncs perfectly with the announcement of the next Samsung phone.

Samsung are making 30-40% of the A8s  so those rumours weren't entirely wrong http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/23/samsung-still-reportedly-supplying-40-of-apple-a8-chips-for-iphone-6-6-plus

• Reply 27 of 57
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm about due, running an iPhone 4 here that I don't want to give up! That doesn't mean that I loose interest in what Apple is shipping though.

I can. Seriously I see the concept of what a cell phone is, is in its infancy. There is potential to complete replace the computing needs of many people with more advanced cell phones. Performance will continue to go up remarkably so.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    I think it is more of a question of Samsung being in a leadership position with respect to DDR 4 and LPDDR 4 DRAMs. Let's face it the bottle neck to RAM never went away with the SoC, it in fact got worst due to both the GPU and CPU using the bandwidth. A faster RAM subsystem would allow Apple to deliver increased performance with minimal changes to the rest of the chip.
    Makes sense. If the A9 uses the package-on-package assembly, then the SoC and DRAM would be manufactured together.
    Package on package could be phased out with stacked chip technology. IBM seems to be the leader in the development of this tech but have partnered with many manufactures. It is an interesting idea though that hasn't seen mass production. At least not for processor / DRAM mashups.
    I don't really care who fabs processors for Apple. As long as they are using the best available process and can make them in quantity.

I never understood the angst here either. The reality is the industry is highly competitive, people should not expect Apple to return to the same vendor year after year.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I'm about due, running an iPhone 4 here that I don't want to give up! That doesn't mean that I loose interest in what Apple is shipping though.

I can. Seriously I see the concept of what a cell phone is, is in its infancy. There is potential to complete replace the computing needs of many people with more advanced cell phones. Performance will continue to go up remarkably so.

Yep!

Then there's this:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Lacking imagination are we?

slurpy wrote: »
    My thoughts EXACTLY. I feel like Apple can take a year off this year, I wouldn't be upset one bit, but clearly they would be skewered by the shareholders/media. And obviously, revenues would take a massive hit. But as a product? There's really nothing they "need" to do, the 6/6+ should serve everyone's needs for a very long time.
    Actually that is unadulterated baloney. Right off the bat I can say without reservation that iPhone needs more RAM! This is hardly debatable and frankly when it happens you will see old phones quickly becoming hopelessly outdated.

RAM is just one area where improvements could do a lot for iPhone. There are all sorts of possibilities for the camera for example. Apple has a long ways to go sensor wise too.

Every aspect is fantastic and almost perfected, and they have the sizes covered. They could instead direct all that R&D time towards other projects. iOS9 would be enough to keep things interesting. They could maybe just drop everything by $100 in the fall. The "competition" is irrelevant. 
    Honestly I don't understand the attitude. It is like somebody that is speaking without the possibility of imagining what could be.
    I just don't see what major feature they could add to the 6/6+ to create enough differentiation, and continue selling the current models.
    RAM and camera improvements would be huge drivers.
    In the past it's always been some hardware thing (Touch ID, new form factors, etc). This year, I don't even see what viable, hypeable technology Apple can add that isn't already there, beyond the usual spec bumps. 
    Well this is a bit like Intels tick-took development cycle. However I see much potential here. I just don't see a reason to be so negative, maybe the coming features aren't what you need or think you need but that doesn't mean Apple won't continue to move forward here.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    ksec wrote: »
    If Apple wanted iPhone 6S to have 2GB Memory without any increase in power consumption, they will need to use LPDDR4.
    And Samsung is having the best yield for LPDDR4 at the moment.

Exactly! They are infact actually shipping product. Most interesting is that 2GB could also ship with a nice performance improvement if Apple wanted.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Yep!
    The lack of imagination sometimes is stunning. However it is even more perplexing that facts like the advantage seen by the 2GB of RAM in the new IPAds is so completely ignored. Just adding more RAM to an iPhine would be reason enough to want the next rev. It isn't just imagination here there are real features iPhone needs.
    Then there's this:

Funny thing here is that my LTE service, on my iPad, is often faster than many of the so called WiFi hot spots around town.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Makes sense. If the A9 uses the package-on-package assembly, then the SoC and DRAM would be manufactured together.

Doesn't make sense as the packaging isn't done by the foundry (neither Samsung nor TSMC). 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Samsung are making 30-40% of the A8s  so those rumours weren't entirely wrong http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/23/samsung-still-reportedly-supplying-40-of-apple-a8-chips-for-iphone-6-6-plus

Those rumours were entirely wrong. 

• Reply 34 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member

Except that this will be pretty obvious. If Apple uses Samsung, as is expected, you won't be able to claim that you're right. I don't see why you're making something out of "admitting" you're wrong about something everyone knows you're wrong about. What would you do, claim TSMC is making the chips even though everyone knows it's samsung! Why even bring that up?

And then there's this, which I suppose you'll also doubt.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/02/24/samsung-officially-beats-taiwan-semiconductor-mfg.aspx
  • Reply 35 of 57

IMO, the smart phone is where the Apple I was in 1976 ...

There are just so many things that can be improved upon -- and others that are yet to be exploited (or even imagined).

People are filming videos entirely on an iPhone. Others are using them to control drones ...

My granddaughter is very interested in photography and video ... Last year, after playing for 9 years, she outgrew the league's top age group -- she and a teammate (also a videographer) are thinking about co-coaching a team ...

Wouldn't it be interesting tf they were able to combine their talents to exploit something like this:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 36 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    I think it is more of a question of Samsung being in a leadership position with respect to DDR 4 and LPDDR 4 DRAMs. Let's face it the bottle neck to RAM never went away with the SoC, it in fact got worst due to both the GPU and CPU using the bandwidth. A faster RAM subsystem would allow Apple to deliver increased performance with minimal changes to the rest of the chip.
    Package on package could be phased out with stacked chip technology. IBM seems to be the leader in the development of this tech but have partnered with many manufactures. It is an interesting idea though that hasn't seen mass production. At least not for processor / DRAM mashups.
    I never understood the angst here either. The reality is the industry is highly competitive, people should not expect Apple to return to the same vendor year after year.

As far as I know, last year was the first year in which they went to a second supplier, and they still use Samsung for SoCs. It's risky moving to a new supplier.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Lacking imagination are we?

Right off the bat I can say without reservation that iPhone needs more RAM! This is hardly debatable.

Oh, its debatable.

My iPhone does not need more RAM. Neither does yours. Who is the one lacking imagination? More RAM is far from pure imagination.

• Reply 38 of 57
    cnocbui wrote: »

I read Melgross' post to me before responding to your post. It was funny that his response was more for you than me. Scroll down to read it.

Samsung having a lesser share of the A8 shows that the rumors of Samsung having won the majority share were false and that is what I have been attacking.

Starting in Q3 2014, Samsung rumors about having won a major customer for the 14nm fab process for the A9 began to surface. That was interesting since Samsung was still promoting the 20nm Exynos chip in October. Then Samsung turned on Qualcomm to promote 14nm.

Now not only has Samsung won the majority of A9, it has also won the majority of DRAM. That is a whole lot of winning for the company.

It just feels way too good to be true. From past rumors, I think staying skeptical about the rumored majority win is an acceptable strategy.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    melgross wrote: »
    Except that this will be pretty obvious. If Apple uses Samsung, as is expected, you won't be able to claim that you're right. I don't see why you're making something out of "admitting" you're wrong about something everyone knows you're wrong about. What would you do, claim TSMC is making the chips even though everyone knows it's samsung! Why even bring that up?

And then there's this, which I suppose you'll also doubt.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/02/24/samsung-officially-beats-taiwan-semiconductor-mfg.aspx

I have two Samsung champions fighting me on this subject. From the start I have rejected the rumors that Samsung had won majority positions for the A9 and now DRAM.

You can point to every article written that states Samsung won. I will still be skeptical until I am proven wrong with the next iPhone.

History has shown that Samsung will not tell the truth. I am thinking these majority wins will be proven wrong again.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

I read Melgross' post to me before responding to your post. It was funny that his response was more for you than me. Scroll down to read it.

Samsung having a lesser share of the A8 shows that the rumors of Samsung having won the majority share were false and that is what I have been attacking.

Starting in Q3 2014, Samsung rumors about having won a major customer for the 14nm fab process for the A9 began to surface. That was interesting since Samsung was still promoting the 20nm Exynos chip in October. Then Samsung turned on Qualcomm to promote 14nm.

Now not only has Samsung won the majority of A9, it has also won the majority of DRAM. That is a whole lot of winning for the company.

It just feels way too good to be true. From past rumors, I think staying skeptical about the rumored majority win is an acceptable strategy.

I think you see what you want to see.