Rumor: Samsung tapped to supply DRAM for 'A9' chip in Apple's next iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    I am on the iPhone 5S and do not see any need to upgrade to the 6 at present. The A9 with a greater amount of DRAM would probably compel me.

Samsung's SOCs are awfully hard to beat and I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is actually producing the majority if the A8 and A8X chips for Apple. Since they don't release that data the truth is difficult to ascertain.

Nvidia's Tegra X1 GPU is a beast. Samsung's Exynos 7420 is multicore CPU beast. If the benchmarks are to be believed the multicore CPU performance of the newest Exynos is in the ballpark of Intel's Haswell core i5 and at 3 watts TDP.

Apple needs to get the A9 and A9X to market and with as much advanced hardware technology as they can deliver.

I for one am holding out. I will not settle for a MacBook Air now knowing the potential of the A9. Let's see, I can get a Mac Air with an Intel Core i5 with their HD 5000 graphics chip or I can wait and get an iPad Air with the A9 and roughly equivalent CPU performance but with superior graphics, superior battery life and much lower cost.

If Apple doesn't provide such a machine, but should Microsoft release a tablet running RT on a Tegra or Exynos processor with that kind of performance, I would absolutely buy it. The performance of a Core i5 in the palm of my hand with a 10 hour battery life would be too much. I could dump my work Dell laptop and never look back.

I'm not looking to defect to a Windows tablet, but unless Apple keeps ahead, I would be willing as I suspect are many others. Hence, Apple needs to release the A9. As Samsung's fabs are the best in the industry outside of Intel, Apple is forced to use them. For the manufacture of both DRAM and SOCs.

I can see Samsung buying out Nvidia if Apple stumbles. Samsung could produce an awfully compelling processor by acquiring Nvidia's GPU assets.

Samsung is not finished in the smartphone market. Not by a long shot. Their newest phones promise far better performance than anything the Chinese will be able to put out in the near future.

Maybe TSMC will be able to get their act together and produce something that can compete with the Exynos and A9 on Samsung's 14 nm process. Very highly doubtful.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    cnocbui wrote: »

I think you see what you want to see.

I think you want me to see what you want me to see. That will not happen. Accept my choice and move on.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbivore View Post

I am on the iPhone 5S and do not see any need to upgrade to the 6 at present. The A9 with a greater amount of DRAM would probably compel me.

Samsung's SOCs are awfully hard to beat and I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is actually producing the majority if the A8 and A8X chips for Apple. Since they don't release that data the truth is difficult to ascertain.

Nvidia's Tegra X1 GPU is a beast. Samsung's Exynos 7420 is multicore CPU beast. If the benchmarks are to be believed the multicore CPU performance of the newest Exynos is in the ballpark of Intel's Haswell core i5 and at 3 watts TDP.

Apple needs to get the A9 and A9X to market and with as much advanced hardware technology as they can deliver.

I for one am holding out. I will not settle for a MacBook Air now knowing the potential of the A9. Let's see, I can get a Mac Air with an Intel Core i5 with their HD 5000 graphics chip or I can wait and get an iPad Air with the A9 and roughly equivalent CPU performance but with superior graphics, superior battery life and much lower cost.

If Apple doesn't provide such a machine, but should Microsoft release a tablet running RT on a Tegra or Exynos processor with that kind of performance, I would absolutely buy it. The performance of a Core i5 in the palm of my hand with a 10 hour battery life would be too much. I could dump my work Dell laptop and never look back.

I'm not looking to defect to a Windows tablet, but unless Apple keeps ahead, I would be willing as I suspect are many others. Hence, Apple needs to release the A9. As Samsung's fabs are the best in the industry outside of Intel, Apple is forced to use them. For the manufacture of both DRAM and SOCs.

I can see Samsung buying out Nvidia if Apple stumbles. Samsung could produce an awfully compelling processor by acquiring Nvidia's GPU assets.

Samsung is not finished in the smartphone market. Not by a long shot. Their newest phones promise far better performance than anything the Chinese will be able to put out in the near future.

Maybe TSMC will be able to get their act together and produce something that can compete with the Exynos and A9 on Samsung's 14 nm process. Very highly doubtful.

Seeing as people that have opened the phones and Ipad have only seen TSMC, I doubt they won the majority AT ALL. It is more likely that they actually won significantly less than 50%.

Samsung got destroyed in the Chinese market last quarter, they are in great difficulty not because of specs, but because there's not much more than specs to lift them up!

People buy Apple for more than just specs.

My feeling is that Apple needs so much chips these days that they may be double sourcing, keeping the A8 at TSMC for substantial volume post september while having Samsung do the A9 and A9X

• Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a deal said to be worth billions of dollars, Samsung will allegedly provide at least half of the dynamic random access memory used in the processor for Apple's 2015 iPhone update, according to a new rumor.

I don't get it.

Unless I'm woefully behind the times, DRAM isn't on "the chip." So the DRAM supplier and the Chip supplier can easily be two different folks.

No? [sorry I'm too tired to go throughout all the comments to discover what's what exactly, especially since it seems like a "non-story." I assume this is just a slip up by the staff writer just not knowing enough to word it more carefully?

If I'm totally wrong, feel free to tell me what a fool I am.]

• Reply 45 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    I read Melgross' post to me before responding to your post. It was funny that his response was more for you than me. Scroll down to read it.

Samsung having a lesser share of the A8 shows that the rumors of Samsung having won the majority share were false and that is what I have been attacking.

Starting in Q3 2014, Samsung rumors about having won a major customer for the 14nm fab process for the A9 began to surface. That was interesting since Samsung was still promoting the 20nm Exynos chip in October. Then Samsung turned on Qualcomm to promote 14nm.

Now not only has Samsung won the majority of A9, it has also won the majority of DRAM. That is a whole lot of winning for the company.

It just feels way too good to be true. From past rumors, I think staying skeptical about the rumored majority win is an acceptable strategy.

Nobody ever said that Samsung had the majority share of A8 production. Nobody! In fact, it was surprising that they had part of it, which they did, despite someone here stating otherwise.

I don't understand your attitude in this. I already sent a link to show that Samsung has beaten TSMC in the ability to produce FinFet, which is an important step in 14-16nm production. You seem to be the only one denying any of this. And you're so forceful about it too. Instead of making definitive statements, you should at least be saying, "I believe" or "I think", instead. I do that when we're in a situation where I can't be certain. A situation such as this, where the majority of the thinking and evidence favors Samsung, but isn't yet a lock.

You really need to remember that it was on,y last year where Apple moved to another supplier. Until then, Samsung produced ALL of Apple's chips. And they've supplied memory for them as well.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    I have two Samsung champions fighting me on this subject. From the start I have rejected the rumors that Samsung had won majority positions for the A9 and now DRAM.

You can point to every article written that states Samsung won. I will still be skeptical until I am proven wrong with the next iPhone.

History has shown that Samsung will not tell the truth. I am thinking these majority wins will be proven wrong again.

What are you talking about! There are no Samsung "champions" here. Least if all, me. But you are using an article in Barron's, a company that has no real record of predicting anything Apple does, as fact. You are not allowing that all the other information otherwise has any possibility.

At the very least, you need to acknowledge that the 90% of the evidence and writing on the other side of this issue COULD be correct. But you don't.

And what do you mean "wrong again"? What "again" are you talking about? There is no again.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

I read Melgross' post to me before responding to your post. It was funny that his response was more for you than me. Scroll down to read it.

Samsung having a lesser share of the A8 shows that the rumors of Samsung having won the majority share were false and that is what I have been attacking.

Starting in Q3 2014, Samsung rumors about having won a major customer for the 14nm fab process for the A9 began to surface. That was interesting since Samsung was still promoting the 20nm Exynos chip in October. Then Samsung turned on Qualcomm to promote 14nm.

Now not only has Samsung won the majority of A9, it has also won the majority of DRAM. That is a whole lot of winning for the company.

It just feels way too good to be true. From past rumors, I think staying skeptical about the rumored majority win is an acceptable strategy.

Too good to be true?  I wonder how you will view the news that Samsung say they have developed a 10nm process and that they can see the way to adapting it to reach 5.3nm after that?

• Reply 48 of 57

Too good to be true?  I wonder how you will view the news that Samsung say they have developed a 10nm process and that they can see the way to adapting it to reach 5.3nm after that?

Good on Samsung! What I choose not to believe is publications stating Samsung won the majority of anything iPhone until the iPhone is on sale and it is proven that Samsung won the majority of whatever.

The majority of publications stated Samsung had won the majority of A8 chip, but those publications were proven wrong.

It does not matter if Samsung gets something. I just disagree with the overwhelming claim that Samsung won the majority. This claim is false because no publication knows.

Let it go. You can tell whomever there is an idiot on AppleInsider not wanting to accept that Samsung has won the majority of the A9 with 14nm fabrication and the majority of DRAM for the next iPhone. ????
  • Reply 49 of 57
    melgross wrote: »
    What are you talking about! There are no Samsung "champions" here. Least if all, me. But you are using an article in Barron's, a company that has no real record of predicting anything Apple does, as fact. You are not allowing that all the other information otherwise has any possibility.

At the very least, you need to acknowledge that the 90% of the evidence and writing on the other side of this issue COULD be correct. But you don't.

And what do you mean "wrong again"? What "again" are you talking about? There is no again.

Again is in reference to publications stating Samsung had won the majority of the A8. My entire conversation has been about publications being proven wrong before and not accepting the publications stating majority again.

You can keep on trying to get me to accept your thinking, but I will not. Publications want Samsung to have the majority for some reason. They will keep on publishing it no matter how many times they are proven wrong. The lie sells more than the truth.

I look forward to being proven wrong. I doubt that will happen though.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Good on Samsung! What I choose not to believe is publications stating Samsung won the majority of anything iPhone until the iPhone is on sale and it is proven that Samsung won the majority of whatever.

The majority of publications stated Samsung had won the majority of A8 chip, but those publications were proven wrong.

It does not matter if Samsung gets something. I just disagree with the overwhelming claim that Samsung won the majority. This claim is false because no publication knows.

Let it go. You can tell whomever there is an idiot on AppleInsider not wanting to accept that Samsung has won the majority of the A9 with 14nm fabrication and the majority of DRAM for the next iPhone. ????

This is principally a rumour site, in case you hadn't noticed.  If you want certainty, I suggest you try elsewhere.

• Reply 51 of 57

This is principally a rumour site, in case you hadn't noticed.  If you want certainty, I suggest you try elsewhere.

You have been disagreeing with my decision to not trust a rumor for a while. Now you conclude this is a rumor site!! I suggest you stop disagreeing me and just accept I am willing to wait for the truth instead of trusting in a Samsung rumor.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Funny. This is the first year where I really couldn't be less interested in what the iPhone refresh is going to be.

I can't imagine wanting more from an iPhone than what my 6 Plus is/has/offers/does.

Well, I'm on the "s" cycle, so I'm actually very interested in this year's new models. Since I prefer the smaller form factor, the 6/6 Plus held little interest for me, especially since the A8 chip is basically a die shrink of the previous microarchitecture and memory interface upgrade that only resulted in a ~25% performance bump compared to last year's models. Most of the power efficiency gains from the die shrink went straight into the larger screen and higher resolution graphics.

With the move to a 14nm process, the A9 chip will have another huge increase in power efficiency, which could all go towards increased battery life, since the screen sizes and graphics resolution on the new iPhones would presumably stay the same. And if Apple choose to keep the battery life constant, they can bump up the clock speed and increase the performance just from the die shrink alone. Given that it will have been two years since the A7 came out, I would also assume that Apple has a major revision to the microarchitecture with the A9 as well.

If the A9 also includes upgrades to the graphics processor and RAM, then the newer phone could end up noticeably faster and smoother in every day usage. And that's without considering any new hardware features that Apple could still add to the new iPhone.

• Reply 53 of 57

I'd like you to find that "majority" of publications that said that Samsung had the majority of the A8 production. I don't remember any of that. Maybe one made an early guess.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Again is in reference to publications stating Samsung had won the majority of the A8. My entire conversation has been about publications being proven wrong before and not accepting the publications stating majority again.

You can keep on trying to get me to accept your thinking, but I will not. Publications want Samsung to have the majority for some reason. They will keep on publishing it no matter how many times they are proven wrong. The lie sells more than the truth.

I look forward to being proven wrong. I doubt that will happen though.

Show us those publications that predicted that. As I said last post, maybe one early on made that prediction. I'll even give you two. But a majority? Sorry, but that's simply not true. I follow this very closely, and I don't remember that at all. I do remember a number of questions early on as to who got the order, and then how much Samsung ended up with. And of course, Samsung continued to manufacture all of Apple's other chips, which they will be doing again this year, except perhaps for the A8 line, which presumably will remain in part, or possibly entirely, with TSMC, as fewer will be needed once the new chips are out.

That's really the best you'll get.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    melgross wrote: »
    Show us those publications that predicted that. As I said last post, maybe one early on made that prediction. I'll even give you two. But a majority? Sorry, but that's simply not true. I follow this very closely, and I don't remember that at all. I do remember a number of questions early on as to who got the order, and then how much Samsung ended up with. And of course, Samsung continued to manufacture all of Apple's other chips, which they will be doing again this year, except perhaps for the A8 line, which presumably will remain in part, or possibly entirely, with TSMC, as fewer will be needed once the new chips are out.

That's really the best you'll get.

I am amazed you and the guy held onto this for so long. Thanks for playing!
  • Reply 56 of 57
    I am amazed you and the guy held onto this for so long. Thanks for playing!

So, no response then.