Pebble again turns to crowdfunding to take on Apple Watch with new color display model

Comments

• Reply 101 of 133
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Holy crap on a cracker, you need to put down the caffeine or meth or whatever you consumed before writing that post. Yes, it's a rumour since there is no official data from Apple or independent tests as to how long the battery will last. You are free to act like a nut all you want, but it's going to be speculative until there is hard evidence detailing the longevity under specific use cases.

This foggyhill dildo was going postal in another thread also. I'm blocking him. Who needs this?
  • Reply 102 of 133
    It seems to be a good connected watch! I like it but I prefer let early adopters try it first. (http://www.justhiback.me)
  • Reply 103 of 133
    trumptman wrote: »
    I do one short tri a year and I am probably going to add a second. I'm hoping for a half and then full within the next few years. I'm mainly a cyclist that can't swim but can run a bit for now. Is the watch the Fenix 3? It looks amazing (and has a round face based off the discussions on here.)

I have a Tomtom Multisport I am moderately disappointed with and a Timex Global Trainer that I owned before it and never sold off. I think the next round of Garmin stuff is pretty great but think their app initiative is too limited.

1) great that you are going for longer tri's...I'm still only doing short ones. My swimming sucks, and I don't think I'll ever be able to do a 2.4M

2) I'm too mainly a cyclist, though I picked up on the running and am going strong for the past year.I am however giving it my best, train 3 times a week, at a club with professional trainers.

3) Yep, I was referring to the Fenix 3. Still haven't received it yet, wait times at Garmin website are now 5-8 weeks. But some folks received theirs, and they all agree it is the best they have owned. Many also agree that the software from Garmin, in general, not specific on a watch or this model, isn't the best out there. Then again, Garmin is the lesser of many evils and I choose Garmin because the rest (Suunto and all) sucked even more.

4) The TomTom looks really nice, but I choose the F3 as it has GLONASS as well, and should give you a GPS fix in 2 seconds. I know fro friends the TomTom most definitely doesn't do that (as it only has GPS)

5) Timex seem to have lost their momentum.
  • Reply 104 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Apple Watch isn't for swimmers. Wrong device for that. 

But...maybe someone will make a little case for swimmers? Love to see the warranty limitations on *that* if a swimmer takes his/her $20k Edition for a dip.

This is a business opportunity for case makers. Try engineering a case for the Apple Watch that is waterproof, like the Otterbox cases for the iPhone. Build apps that measure your laps and calculate the calories burnt when swimming. 

Of course, much easier said than done. They will have to consider the way the strap attaches itself to the watch, whether they want to cover the watch + strap or only the watch, provide access to the digital crown, and a whole load of other things. But it is an opportunity.

• Reply 105 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Yuck.  Round watch face.

There is a reason desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets have rectangular faces.

I actually prefer round faced Watches to rectangular ones. The Apple Watch is the only exception.

• Reply 106 of 133
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I do one short tri a year and I am probably going to add a second. I'm hoping for a half and then full within the next few years. I'm mainly a cyclist that can't swim but can run a bit for now. Is the watch the Fenix 3? It looks amazing (and has a round face based off the discussions on here.)

I have a Tomtom Multisport I am moderately disappointed with and a Timex Global Trainer that I owned before it and never sold off. I think the next round of Garmin stuff is pretty great but think their app initiative is too limited.

1) great that you are going for longer tri's...I'm still only doing short ones. My swimming sucks, and I don't think I'll ever be able to do a 2.4M

2) I'm too mainly a cyclist, though I picked up on the running and am going strong for the past year.I am however giving it my best, train 3 times a week, at a club with professional trainers.

3) Yep, I was referring to the Fenix 3. Still haven't received it yet, wait times at Garmin website are now 5-8 weeks. But some folks received theirs, and they all agree it is the best they have owned. Many also agree that the software from Garmin, in general, not specific on a watch or this model, isn't the best out there. Then again, Garmin is the lesser of many evils and I choose Garmin because the rest (Suunto and all) sucked even more.

4) The TomTom looks really nice, but I choose the F3 as it has GLONASS as well, and should give you a GPS fix in 2 seconds. I know fro friends the TomTom most definitely doesn't do that (as it only has GPS)

5) Timex seem to have lost their momentum.

1. I also suck at swimming. Heck I think I suck at running.

2. Is it like a tri-club or are you paying someone to coach you? I've seen several tri-clubs in the areas around me. They seem like nice places.

3. I don't have problems with the Garmin software with regard to what I have covered. This stuff is ever evolving and everyone is having growing pains. My specific issue, and the only where I think Garmin could really have done some damage to all the others in the sport/smartwatch field and done a lot more to hold Apple and others is the big firewall between the Garmin Connect data and Garmin IQ apps. Seems like every third party app is going to have to start basically from scratch with regard to gathering and then exporting their own data. That is a big deal killer for me for now. That doesn't mean I hate Garmin or anything. It means I'll probably keep sniffing around for a used Garmin and not mentally justify the $500+ for the new one until that gets sorted out better.

4. Tomtom has GPS+GLONASS. They use it with what they call QUICKGPS and it gets a fix really fast. Tomtom is also great about letting you use their data with third party websites. Where they fall down and stink is the watch isn't particularly durable. The firmware updates have disappeared and their own native website is still pretty terrible after far too many months of supposed improvement. I doubt I will buy another Tomtom product.

5. The Timex watch I bought used along with the heartrate monitors for $100 total over a year ago. I couldn't resist that deal. It works great for what it is and does no worse than any other watch of the same era. It still plugs into Training Peaks, shows me four data fields when I am undertaking an activity, still has 12-15 or so hours of battery life and best of all can still be a day to day watch. Timex as a norm for them give you a few firmware updates to knock out the bugs and then they are done. So the watch you buy is the watch you end up keeping. I think the TGT got a bad rap because they had GPS fix issues in some early firmware versions. (Took forever or sometimes didn't lock.) They didn't use ANT+ footpods out the gate, and finally they had 2 second recording vs 1 second. Mine has been great for me however. It locks fast as any watch of that era and records my rides with heartrate and cadence. It has done great on my sprint tri's including showing my transitions. Finally the watch is just bombproof.

That said, I've seen the Fenix 3 and it looks like a beautiful watch and in short looks like the best thing out there right now. If it can show navigation similar to the Garmin EDGE series I'll probably consolidate around it and buy one myself next Christmas or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Apple Watch isn't for swimmers. Wrong device for that. 

But...maybe someone will make a little case for swimmers? Love to see the warranty limitations on *that* if a swimmer takes his/her $20k Edition for a dip.

This is a business opportunity for case makers. Try engineering a case for the Apple Watch that is waterproof, like the Otterbox cases for the iPhone. Build apps that measure your laps and calculate the calories burnt when swimming. 

Of course, much easier said than done. They will have to consider the way the strap attaches itself to the watch, whether they want to cover the watch + strap or only the watch, provide access to the digital crown, and a whole load of other things. But it is an opportunity.

It sounds ridiculous is what it sounds like. I think Apple will be an afterthought in areas dealing with sports until they wake up to the importance of being waterproof. They will come around eventually. I have a dozen old posts on here noting the terrible cameras on the first iPhones back in the day and how Apple really needed a great camera. They got on board there and I suspect they will at some point with the AppleWatch as well on items like being waterproof and also having built in GPS.

• Reply 107 of 133
    Build apps that measure your laps...

The watch doesn't have GPS.

2. Is it like a tri-club or are you paying someone to coach you? I've seen several tri-clubs in the areas around me. They seem like nice places.

A running club. For now, I'll be joining a tri club, in addition, this May, when the tri season starts here.
    3. I don't have problems with the Garmin software with regard to what I have covered. This stuff is ever evolving and everyone is having growing pains. My specific issue, and the only where I think Garmin could really have done some damage to all the others in the sport/smartwatch field and done a lot more to hold Apple and others is the big firewall between the Garmin Connect data and Garmin IQ apps. Seems like every third party app is going to have to start basically from scratch with regard to gathering and then exporting their own data. That is a big deal killer for me for now. That doesn't mean I hate Garmin or anything. It means I'll probably keep sniffing around for a used Garmin and not mentally justify the $500+ for the new one until that gets sorted out better.

Indeed, Garmin Connect has issues. And the iOS app is sorely lacking in features (never mind the ugly design). And ConnectIQ is so far a joke. Take a look at the few that are available (mainly watch faces) Or other useless stuff:

http://developer.garmin.com/connect-iq/overview/
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/
    https://forums.garmin.com/archive/index.php/t-185013.html

4. Tomtom has GPS+GLONASS. They use it with what they call QUICKGPS and it gets a fix really fast. Tomtom is also great about letting you use their data with third party websites. Where they fall down and stink is the watch isn't particularly durable. The firmware updates have disappeared and their own native website is still pretty terrible after far too many months of supposed improvement. I doubt I will buy another Tomtom product.

They do? I must have either misunderstood, or the guy had a different model. But apparently that doesn't matter much, reading this^.
    5. The Timex watch I bought used along with the heartrate monitors for $100 total over a year ago. I couldn't resist that deal. It works great for what it is and does no worse than any other watch of the same era. It still plugs into Training Peaks, shows me four data fields when I am undertaking an activity, still has 12-15 or so hours of battery life and best of all can still be a day to day watch. Timex as a norm for them give you a few firmware updates to knock out the bugs and then they are done. So the watch you buy is the watch you end up keeping. I think the TGT got a bad rap because they had GPS fix issues in some early firmware versions. (Took forever or sometimes didn't lock.) They didn't use ANT+ footpods out the gate, and finally they had 2 second recording vs 1 second. Mine has been great for me however. It locks fast as any watch of that era and records my rides with heartrate and cadence. It has done great on my sprint tri's including showing my transitions. Finally the watch is just bombproof.

Good to read a positive review on the Timex! Just to be on the safe side, I'll check them out one more time. Thanks!
    That said, I've seen the Fenix 3 and it looks like a beautiful watch and in short looks like the best thing out there right now. If it can show navigation similar to the Garmin EDGE series I'll probably consolidate around it and buy one myself next Christmas or so.

Sorry, no maps on the device. Besides, it only has ? 26MB of local storage, for the ConnectIQ apps and .gpx files. I believe you do get to see a trail, just without a map.
    I think Apple will be an afterthought in areas dealing with sports until they wake up to the importance of being waterproof. They will come around eventually. I have a dozen old posts on here noting the terrible cameras on the first iPhones back in the day and how Apple really needed a great camera. They got on board there and I suspect they will at some point with the AppleWatch as well on items like being waterproof and also having built in GPS.

I truly hope they will compete head on with the likes of Garmin & Suunto, but so far the direction of the Apple Watch isn't pointing in that direction.

As an aside, see this guy, a triathlete, writing the most extensive reviews one can find: http://www.dcrainmaker.com You probably heard of him, or perhaps I got the tip from you.
  • Reply 108 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    There is a reason all these official Android Wear round watch CGI images always show a faux analog watch faces. Take that new LG 'urbane' watch and stick an Android wear notificafion or 'app' screen on it and it looks totally different. Apple often gets knocked for form over funciton but in this case I think function was paramount and why there is a rounded rec display. In this case it seems to me it's the Android OEMs doing form over function, with the number one goal being a round watch face. I can't imagine trying to swipe on this LG watch with that hardware bezel that hides the electronics. Unless everything is done with the faux crown? But I didn't think that's how Android Wear worked.

Chip Chowdhry at Gloabl Equities (yes I know he's a bit of a nut) just put out a research note and said:
    Apple WatchKit is extremely well engineered, and the framework is strictly sandboxed, which dramatically reduces developer errors, that could drain battery life. Android framework is very open and lose and hence prone to numerous developer errors. Apple WatchKit App can transparently access the Web via Watchkit Extensions that is running on iPhone. Android Wear requires a complex manual implementation of a proxy service that would connect through the bluetooth. Every aspect of Apple Watch is extremely well thought-off and seamlessly integrated – right from Software development tools, to AppStore, to the Design of the Apple Watch itself. Google Android Wear seems quite disconnected and haphazard in implementation.

Tim Cook said he uses ?Watch every day and can't live with out it. He isn't someone who typically blows smoke so I have a feeling ?Watch will surprise (in a good way) in terms of functionality and usefulness. Glen Fleishman says ?Watch is going to be the digital hub around which everything (Homekit, Healthkit, ?Pay, AirPlay, CarPlay, Siri etc.) rotates in this new Apple universe.

http://glog.glennf.com/blog/2015/2/18/iwatch-ihub
  • Reply 109 of 133
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    rogifan wrote: »
    There is a reason all these official Android Wear round watch CGI images always show a faux analog watch faces. Take that new LG 'urbane' watch and stick an Android wear notificafion or 'app' screen on it and it looks totally different. Apple often gets knocked for form over funciton but in this case I think function was paramount and why there is a rounded rec display. In this case it seems to me it's the Android OEMs doing form over function, with the number one goal being a round watch face.

I think most of the earlier Android-wear based watches were rectangular rather than round (Moto was the exception), including LG's previous models
    http://www.lg.com/us/smart-watches/lg-W100-g-watch

Turns out the Moto round face sold better than any of the rectangular models. Thus no big surprise that when LG decided to offer a premium smart watch it was designed with a round face.
  • Reply 110 of 133
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

A running club. For now, I'll be joining a tri club, in addition, this May, when the tri season starts here.

Indeed, Garmin Connect has issues. And the iOS app is sorely lacking in features (never mind the ugly design). And ConnectIQ is so far a joke. Take a look at the few that are available (mainly watch faces) Or other useless stuff:

They do? I must have either misunderstood, or the guy had a different model. But apparently that doesn't matter much, reading this^.

Good to read a positive review on the Timex! Just to be on the safe side, I'll check them out one more time. Thanks!

Sorry, no maps on the device. Besides, it only has ? 26MB of local storage, for the ConnectIQ apps and .gpx files. I believe you do get to see a trail, just without a map.

I truly hope they will compete head on with the likes of Garmin & Suunto, but so far the direction of the Apple Watch isn't pointing in that direction.

As an aside, see this guy, a triathlete, writing the most extensive reviews one can find: http://www.dcrainmaker.com You probably heard of him, or perhaps I got the tip from you.

Sorry about the trims but I suffer from lack of brevity. It's awesome that you are joining a club. Are you 40ish? Tri's, owning a GoPro and brewing some sort of beer seem to be mandatory to turn 40 nowadays. I am just getting ready to turn 45 and I was shocked when I saw the drop off in number of participants compared to the 40-44 crowd.

ConnectIQ and the amount of RAM you mentioned do indeed seem like sad jokes. Companies make mistakes like this and then wonder why Apple ends up being used even as a stop gap measure in instances where the marketleaders have bungled so badly. It is like back with the first iPhone not having video or MMS. People would rather find a workaround for such a more capable device with a future rather than deal with a best of class device by the old standard with such terrible limitations.

For the Tomtom, not much worth investigating with it. They are Nokia in my opinion. Good price points and good hardware but can't execute on software. 

I'm of two minds on the Apple Watch with regard to competitors like Garmin and Suunto. Garmin and Suunto have gotten just about everything you can get out of a watch in terms of balancing battery life, durability, an array of sensors and gathering data with a few options. Like you note though they seem to be lacking on software platform, basic things like memory or access to data gathered, etc.

The we have the Android/Apple side of the equation. These are watches that have larger screens, terrible battery life in my opinion, they hold the promise of doing a lot more but no one is really sure how or why that will happen yet. They still sound like a solution looking for a problem. In order to be so open and capable, the trade-offs for now are terrible and might not get better. (battery life, lack of sensors, etc.)

My own view is Apple is still going about this wrong and the solution is closer to something like a good Garmin combined with a Pebble. Focused, capable and something that works with and enhances what your phone can provide.

I remember the first Apple TV which basically became a false start. It had a hard drive. It was trying to be a Mac on your TV. Apple scrapped it and gave us a more focused iOS based version that did less but did it better and was focused around streaming and wifi rather than storage and being a PC media hub. It also was a third of the size, a fourth of the weight and probably used a tenth of the power or less of the prior one.

People don't need an iPhone on their wrist. They need something on their wrist that is unique but might add value to what their phone can provide. A heart rate monitor, being water proof, being either a GPS unto itself or a hand off GPS for when you have to leave your phone behind are all great uses. I'm wondering if AppleWatch gen 2 might go more in this direction. If not Pebble certainly is heading that way and I hope they stick around. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There is a reason all these official Android Wear round watch CGI images always show a faux analog watch faces. Take that new LG 'urbane' watch and stick an Android wear notificafion or 'app' screen on it and it looks totally different. Apple often gets knocked for form over funciton but in this case I think function was paramount and why there is a rounded rec display. In this case it seems to me it's the Android OEMs doing form over function, with the number one goal being a round watch face. I can't imagine trying to swipe on this LG watch with that hardware bezel that hides the electronics. Unless everything is done with the faux crown? But I didn't think that's how Android Wear worked.

Chip Chowdhry at Gloabl Equities (yes I know he's a bit of a nut) just put out a research note and said:
    Quote:
    Apple WatchKit is extremely well engineered, and the framework is strictly sandboxed, which dramatically reduces developer errors, that could drain battery life. Android framework is very open and lose and hence prone to numerous developer errors. Apple WatchKit App can transparently access the Web via Watchkit Extensions that is running on iPhone. Android Wear requires a complex manual implementation of a proxy service that would connect through the bluetooth. Every aspect of Apple Watch is extremely well thought-off and seamlessly integrated – right from Software development tools, to AppStore, to the Design of the Apple Watch itself. Google Android Wear seems quite disconnected and haphazard in implementation.

Tim Cook said he uses ?Watch every day and can't live with out it. He isn't someone who typically blows smoke so I have a feeling ?Watch will surprise (in a good way) in terms of functionality and usefulness. Glen Fleishman says ?Watch is going to be the digital hub around which everything (Homekit, Healthkit, ?Pay, AirPlay, CarPlay, Siri etc.) rotates in this new Apple universe.

Maybe it will work out and maybe it won't. I don't need a watch to avoid putting a phone out of my pocket. For example I can have my phone and watch track my steps but if I put my phone down on my desk and forget to pick it up, an AppleWatch should track those steps and fill in the gaps my phone was on my desk. 

I need the Applewatch to provide ALL DAY heart rate if I want it and then give my iPhone that data when I need it. I need to jump into a pool or shower with my Applewatch and let it send me notifications, let respond to text messages and control my music while my nearly $1,000 iPhone stays safely away from the water. I need my AppleWatch to have the perfect screen for outdoors when my iPhone would be harder to see.

I haven't seen these solutions incorporated yet. Pebble is closer than Apple is in that regard.

I also wouldn't count on the $350 Applewatch being a particularly decent product. Apple is known for pretty much crippling the entry point product to make the price point they want to receive a more compelling and usable solution. The cheapest real usable AppleWatch will probably be $450-500.

That gives Pebble a lot of room to even go premium with a steel version of their Pebble Time.

• Reply 111 of 133
    I also wouldn't count on the $350 Applewatch being a particularly decent product. Apple is known for pretty much crippling the entry point product to make the price point they want to receive a more compelling and usable solution. The cheapest real usable AppleWatch will probably be $450-500.

In what way would be it crippled? Everything points to all devices having the exact same CE inside, with the only difference being the casing, display cover, and band. Do you really think it would use an SIP that had less RAM, a slower processor, etc? That just sounds like extra work for not benefit for the user, especially since a higher performing SIP will just use more power.
  • Reply 112 of 133

136 comments for a Pebble Watch article, versus 64 comments for an Apple Watch article.

Tells you all you need to know about the interest.

• Reply 113 of 133
    edited

• Reply 114 of 133
    edited

• Reply 115 of 133
    edited

• Reply 116 of 133
    edited

• Reply 117 of 133
    edited

• Reply 118 of 133
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There is no "Android watch". Google has an OS for wearables, but doesn't spec a watch design. BTW, LG announced a good-looking smart watch the other day.

Yuck.  Round watch face.

There is a reason desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets have rectangular faces.

Round is beautiful.

I guess if you like ugliness, then the clunky-looking, 70s-styled Apple Watch is for you.

• Reply 119 of 133
    edited

• Reply 120 of 133
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Seriosuly?! You're now against a round watch face, even on a traditional watch face, because Apple has a rectangular one? image

I'm against a round face because the interface gets messed up.  It is NOT an efficent shape for a computing device.  Can you imagine a smartphone with a round face?  So much space that is wasted.

Your thinking is completely mad.