Pebble again turns to crowdfunding to take on Apple Watch with new color display model

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote:
    Health getting better?
    Yes sir it is. Everyday is better than the one before. Can't wait until I can ditch Boost altogether, but according to my oncologists I'm way ahead of the curve already so it won't be long. Thanks for asking! :)

I didn't realize you were ill. I'm sorry to hear that, but glad you're getting better.
  • Reply 62 of 133
    Competition is good. Innovation is good. Options are good. Why are people bashing this? Pebble now is where Apple was compared to Windows long ago. Nothing stays the same and no company stays on top forever. In 10 years who knows where each company will be. In the meantime different options are a good thing. Companies that try something new should be encouraged. Especially when they're not blatantly copying ala Samdung
  • Reply 63 of 133
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There is no "Android watch". Google has an OS for wearables, but doesn't spec a watch design. BTW, LG announced a good-looking smart watch the other day.
    [vid]

Then what is Android Wear? What is the OS in Google Glass?

sog35 wrote: »
    Yuck.  Round watch face.

There is a reason desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets have rectangular faces.

Seriosuly?! You're now against a round watch face, even on a traditional watch face, because Apple has a rectangular one? :no:

If there is anything to bash on the LG Watch Urbane, I'd think it's because it's too traditional or the spring-loaded rods that hold the metal and leather bands to the watch casing.
  • Reply 64 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Good luck. Just for $150 you get so much more with an Apple Watch.  I think this will appeal to the Kindle Fire crowd.

this has no chance against Apple Watch

If the test is stay on for 3 days and show the time under sun light, I thing it have a chance. But if the Apple Watch is just 150 I can live with the poor battery, But I think it will cost at least 380 usd.

• Reply 65 of 133
    I'm against a round face because the interface gets messed up.  It is NOT an efficent shape for a computing device.  Can you imagine a smartphone with a round face?  So much space that is wasted.

This isn't a smartphone. It doesn't go in your pocket. This is also way Apple will hit the ground running with no less than 34 distinct models that will all be purchased based on how they look, not on their internal storage capacity.

For something that is to be glanced at occasionally, to be ornamentation most of the time, and uses an analog watch face, saying round is wrong is simply inaccurate.
  • Reply 66 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and the hands go 'round and 'round. image

There's a reason rectangular-shaped watches aren't as popular as round ones. Watch hands don't travel in a rectangle.

^This is why Google loses and continues to do so.

• Reply 67 of 133

Ok.

Stay 3 days on without a charge, and still showing the time and the notifications under the sun light.

• Reply 68 of 133
    Quote:

if your main test is stay on for 3 days and show time in the sun you can buy a timex for $19

Ok.

Stay 3 days on without a charge, and still showing the time and the notifications under the sun light.

• Reply 69 of 133
    yes, those round android watches are doing so well.

Face it, its simple geometry.  With a round screen too much gets cut off at all 4 corners.  There is a reason why Apple choose Rectangle.

With a round screen you can literally only read ONE LINE of text without it getting cut off.  With a rectangle you can easily see 3 lines of text.  Read the reviews of round android watches and they point this out.

You think Android-baed smartwatches aren't doing well because they are round? Seriously?!!! Then why aren't any of the rectangle ones doing well? And what about the billions of dollars spent every year on watches with fund watch faces? What I see is Apple made a decision and you've taken that to assume that any decision that is different is someone wrong, no matter what the application. Note that you didn't mention that notebooks use a landscape rotation for that rectangle display, and that ?Watch uses portrait rotation, but I bet if Apple made it landscape you'd be claiming that portrait is wrong. That's just you not being objective.
  • Reply 70 of 133
    Quote:

and not look like a kids toy?

A pink iPhone 5c with the yellow Apple Case look like a kids toy too.

• Reply 71 of 133
    step tracking will require a separate Misfit or Jawbone device.

Uh, no. Step tracking is handled by the internal accelerometer, as is done by the current model. Improved accuracy and additional functionality requires additional devices. Not that it's shocking for AI to get something wrong, but still. Wow. It says it right there in the launch video, which I'm guessing you must not have watched.
  • Reply 72 of 133
    Quote:

AppleWatch has 100x more uses than pebble.  Calling it limited is ridiculous.

Sure you need to recharge it every day.  But that's like calling a smartphone limited because a feature phone can last 4 days without a charge.

Dude, who cares? It's Apples and Oranges. I don't see the Pebble directly competing against the iWatch.

People want variety, non-Apple products, even if they use Apple products. Some of us like variety and get tired of starting at the Apple and iOS/OS X implementations.

Also, a lot of people are not going to pay $349+tax for a watch. They may not be able to afford it.

The key is that people are buying the Pebble because it suits their needs, and/or they want it, and/or they don't want an Apple product, and/or they can probably use with their Android phone too, and/or the Apple Watch won't work with a 4S (I have no idea on the last one, but assuming.)

This is great to have some other options than All Apple All Day Everyday.

• Reply 73 of 133
    captain j wrote: »
    Competition is good. Innovation is good. Options are good. Why are people bashing this? Pebble now is where Apple was compared to Windows long ago. Nothing stays the same and no company stays on top forever. In 10 years who knows where each company will be. In the meantime different options are a good thing. Companies that try something new should be encouraged.

Who's discouraging Pebble? Don't conflate "bashing" with "discouraging."
  • Reply 74 of 133
    Quote:

You dont undertand wearables.

It needs to be something beautiful (sorry e-ink is not) for the masses to accept it.

LOL. My geeky $25 Casio watch with a plastic face and plastic band and cheap metal is beautiful. That's why I wear it.

I am told it tells the time if you put a battery in it, but I don't care. I gaze into its face and it mesmerize me and I forget why I'm looking and why it doesn't have a working battery.

It's beautiful. Even the scratches on the face.

• Reply 75 of 133
    crowley wrote: »
    10% discount for preorders many months (possibly > a year) in advance, before the bulk of the cost of production has been committed to?

That's a pretty good deal for the manufacturer.

If this thing is set to hit retail shelves in two months, the bulk cost of production has long since been paid. Setting up a production line to begin with, then securing a supply chain for materials required for production = bulk cost. The rest is scalable depending on size of run.

Launching via Kickstarter is simply a nod to the fans who made their success possible to begin with/honoring their roots, plus free publicity for KS itself who is obviously onboard as a special case given their staunch "we aren't a store front" public stance. If all they needed to launch this product was 500k (original KS goal, long since surpassed) securing that from any bank would not have been, let alone private investors, would not have been an issue given their current success, market interest in smart watches, etc. To say otherwise implies lack of familiarity with the business world, or just a severe case of Apple Fanboy tunnel vision.
  • Reply 76 of 133
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There is no "Android watch". Google has an OS for wearables, but doesn't spec a watch design. BTW, LG announced a good-looking smart watch the other day.

Have you seen the size of that thing? It's gigantic !

• Reply 77 of 133
    Read the reviews of the Moto360.  They flat out say the round screen can be really irratating cutting off text and maps.

Apple spends MILLIONS of dollars on product R&D to pick the right form factor for the watch.

I'll trust them more than you.

**** the Moto 360 and **** you for ignoring that traditional watches exist perfectly fine with an analog watch face. Your rabid pro-Apple stance without any objectivity gets fucking tired. Try to at least look at the whole market for once.

my comment was directed at someone calling the AppleWatch limited in comparisson to the Pebble.

It is limited. All physical things are limited, and Pebble has aspects that will make it a better choice than ?Watch for many buyers.. which was proven today.
  • Reply 78 of 133
    Apple is not selling a traditional watch.  Get that in your brain.  They are selling a computing device.

This is just the first step for wearables to replace phones as the mainstay for personal computing.  I am looking at the whole market.  But not what the market is NOW, but what it will be in the FUTURE.  And I think Apple is doing the same.  Going where the PUCK will be not where it is.  Then you will see a round face would NEVER be the FUTURE.

And yet in all your wisdom you make an ignorant kneejerk comment about a traditional analog watch face. Here is what YOU wrote about a traditional, mechanical, analog watch face…

"Yuck. Round watch face.

There is a reason desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets have rectangular faces."

And I"m sorry you are resorting to swearing and personal attacks but that does not change my mind that Apple knows more about the market than you do.

That's right, centuries of watch makers that made the market worth billions a year in revenue today are all wrong because Apple unveiled their first smartwatch a few month ago. And you wonder why you come across as nothing but a rabid fanboy. :no:
  • Reply 79 of 133
    A round face is BAD for a next generation SMART WATCH.  Its great for an analog watch.

And yet you commented on a mechanical analog watch face as being yucky because it was round and then used LCD-based displays as proof that there should be no round analog watch faces. Your words!
  • Reply 80 of 133
    i dont think anyone is bashing Pebble.  Just being honest.  Its for a small niche of the market and really makes no sense to buy unless you need to swim with your watch or $199 is the max you can spend on a watch.

Reading this thread there's a lot of bashing imo. This watch may well appeal to many people who want to spend less, don't have the need for the advanced features of the Apple Watch or who just want a different look.