Apple expands Maps Flyover support to 9 new locations including Venice, Italy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    cashxx wrote: »
    I always see these articles on Flyover updates and I can't see any of them listed here in Flyover. I never get the option. I'm still waiting for the last list like Devils Tower.

Running Yosemite 10.10.2 here.

Did you enable the 3D both on the lower-left and lower-right of your Maps window?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    When will Apple provide an iCloud version of Maps to compete directly with the Google Maps of the browser world?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If I remember correctly they're building some type of dam to restrict the influx of water.

I was in Venice last year. They are building some sort of flood gates. I believe the project is almost finished. I wouldn't worry about the flooding though. Those buildings are falling apart over there. So many old and run down vacant buildings in Venice. 

• Reply 24 of 48
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Did you enable the 3D both on the lower-left and lower-right of your Maps window?

Yes both are enabled and turned on for 3D.  I can see the new list posted today taking some time to sync, but you would think I could see Devils Tower by now.  

• Reply 25 of 48
    cashxx wrote: »

Yes both are enabled and turned on for 3D.  I can see the new list posted today taking some time to sync, but you would think I could see Devils Tower by now.  

Devil's Tower is in 3D for me in Maps on "Yosemite" 10.10.2.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

• Reply 26 of 48
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I was in Venice last year. They are building some sort of flood gates. I believe the project is almost finished. I wouldn't worry about the flooding though. Those buildings are falling apart over there. So many old and run down vacant buildings in Venice. 
    Don't exaggerate. There are constantly dozens of restoration sites in Venice, it's been like that for 600 years, it's not going to move now.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Don't exaggerate. There are constantly dozens of restoration sites in Venice, it's been like that for 600 years, it's not going to move now.

You have no clue. I never said Venice was going to move. As someone who spent part of their childhood in Venice, I know what I'm talking about. I'm not exaggerating by any means. There are restoration projects on some of the main tourist attractions, but not really many for the buildings in Venice. This biggest issue is no one can afford to restore and there aren't many options to fix things such as the deteriorating bricks. You can see the damage on walls in just about every canal in Venice. Buildings may look ok on the outside, but its a different story inside. 600 years ago, there weren't motor boats, pumping water out of the lagoon, many days of aqua alta, etc. Those issues in the last few decades or so have greatly impacted the speed of the buildings deteriorating. I could go on with more details, but I don't want to bore you. 

• Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

I really hate these shortsighted comments that imply that such tasks are mutually exclusive, as if the people working on Flyover are the same one that would be coding for public transportation.

Apple is shortsighted on where they concentrate their efforts for what is practical and useful.

• Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Google Maps is vastly better with real pictures, street view, and the fact that the pin for the tower is not the parking lot, like it is with Apple Maps.

Fake flyovers are nothing compared to the real think, unless you prefer pretty animation style views.

• Reply 30 of 48
    pfisher wrote: »
    Apple is shortsighted on where they concentrate their efforts for what is practical and useful.

OK. :rolleyes:
    pfisher wrote: »
    Google Maps is vastly better with real pictures, street view, and the fact that the pin for the tower is not the parking lot, like it is with Apple Maps.

Fake flyovers are nothing compared to the real think, unless you prefer pretty animation style views.

Fake pictures? What the fuçk are smoking?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    solipsismy wrote: »

[image]

I, too, don't see FT for many cities. Works fine for Rotterdam, but no Venice, Devil's Tower et cetera (iOS & OSX):

• Reply 32 of 48
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Does anyone actually use Flyover? To my mind it's always been a bit of a gimmicky "look we can do something that Google doesn't" kind of feature.

I wish they'd invest resources into getting an equivalent to Google's street view instead.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    saarek wrote: »
    I wish they'd invest resources into getting an equivalent to Google's street view instead.

Like public transport you mean¿
  • Reply 34 of 48
    There are more locations not mentioned.
    Aarhus in Denmark has 3D flyover with buildings.
    Photos taken late summer 2014.

Odense in Denmark covered as well, so number of cities grows. Not sure if this is related to public availability of government altitude mapping of Denmark currently taking place. 1 cm resolution in altitude, for 40cm diameter points. 24-bit RGB.

Roskilde outside of Copenhagen is 3D as well, and down to Karlslunde.

You zoom and turn 3D maps of the largest cities.

So they are slowly but surely progressing.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mochi Fung View Post

(*scream*), instead of making prettier maps, they should have spent the time to add public transportation support.

I really hate these shortsighted comments that imply that such tasks are mutually exclusive, as if the people working on Flyover are the same one that would be coding for public transportation.

I really hate that Apple's POI data is still so woefully inadequate, two and a half years later. 

That, and bike directions and transit directions are still AWOL.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

GSV is fine if you know an address and want to (for example) see what a building looks like, but its all-but-unusable to navigate a virtual walk down the block.  The click-reposition-click-reposition UI looks like it was designed circa 1997.  I tried to use it to find visual cues for an upcoming bike event, and it was an absolutely maddening experience. 

GSV can be a great resource, but it's not "finished" in the same way Apple's POI data is not "finished".

• Reply 36 of 48
    povlhp wrote: »
    There are more locations not mentioned.
    Aarhus in Denmark has 3D flyover with buildings.
    Photos taken late summer 2014.

Odense in Denmark covered as well, so number of cities grows. Not sure if this is related to public availability of government altitude mapping of Denmark currently taking place. 1 cm resolution in altitude, for 40cm diameter points. 24-bit RGB.

Roskilde outside of Copenhagen is 3D as well, and down to Karlslunde.

You zoom and turn 3D maps of the largest cities.

So they are slowly but surely progressing.
    http://flyovercities.com
    IT is listed at a dedicated site
  • Reply 37 of 48
    philboogie wrote: »
    I, too, don't see FT for many cities. Works fine for Rotterdam, but no Venice, Devil's Tower et cetera (iOS & OSX):

That's Flyover Tour, which is different than Flyover. Flyover just means you get the 3D imagery from any angle you wish, which is available for Devils Peak as I showed in my previous post. The Flyover Tour is simply an additional feature added by Apple to, well, take you on a tour of the city.

john.b wrote: »
    I really hate that Apple's POI data is still so woefully inadequate, two and a half years later. 

That, and bike directions and transit directions are still AWOL.

They certainly could, but I personally haven't had much issue with Maps. I have submitted about a half dozen issues I've found (all the issues I've found) to Apple but never heard a word back and I know the last time I checked none of them had been resolved.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »

You have no clue. I never said Venice was going to move. As someone who spent part of their childhood in Venice, I know what I'm talking about. I'm not exaggerating by any means. There are restoration projects on some of the main tourist attractions, but not really many for the buildings in Venice. This biggest issue is no one can afford to restore and there aren't many options to fix things such as the deteriorating bricks. You can see the damage on walls in just about every canal in Venice. Buildings may look ok on the outside, but its a different story inside. 600 years ago, there weren't motor boats, pumping water out of the lagoon, many days of aqua alta, etc. Those issues in the last few decades or so have greatly impacted the speed of the buildings deteriorating. I could go on with more details, but I don't want to bore you. 

No need to say that I have no clue. I lived in Venice too, and I go there several times a year.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Gee I can see Baton Rouge from here...in New Orleans.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adhir View Post

Can we PLEASE get Washington, DC and surrounding metro area?

And Carter.